Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Microsoft Committed to Advertising Success
At its annual Financial Analyst Meeting in Redmond yesterday, Microsoft laid out its plans to succeed on multiple fronts, including advertising and mobile devices.
- Google Now Implementing "unavailable_after" Meta Tag
Today at the Google Blog, product manager Dan Crow formally introduced the "unavailable_after" meta tag, which can be used to identify a temporary page with a set shelf life.
- Search Wikia Launches Open Source, Distributed Crawler
Wikia, the commercial site led by Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, is taking the next step toward launching its open source, human-assisted Web search tool, Search Wikia.
- Yahoo Names Former Microsoft SVP To Board of Directors
Maggie Wilderotter, former senior vice president at Microsoft, was named to the Yahoo Board of Directors. She is currently the CEO of Citizens Communications.
- Can the Search Marketing Industry Grow Up Fast Enough?
The search marketing industry is immature, both in the sense that nearly all the players are under 10 years old, and in the way partnerships are created and maintained, according to Did-It's Kevin Lee.
- SEW Experts: Look After Your Brand and Your Brand Will Look After You
New In-House columnist Rob Kerry explains that an in-house SEO's work doesn't stop with optimizing page elements. He tells you how to put out fires before they spread by defending your brand.
- SEW Experts: Pimp My Vertical Search
Michael Boland tells you about the future of local search in a verticalized world. See how Vehix uses the strength of video advertising and online search to give consumers local search on steroids and advertisers better direct response.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- ComScore and Nielsen Broaden the Metrics Game, ClickZ
- Search, Advertising, Privacy, and You, ClickZ
- Ad Quality And User Experience: Interview With Google's Nick Fox And Diane Chang, Search Engine Land
- Is Google on Crack?, I, Cringely
- Your Searches Are Worth Billions, Compete Blog
- Lookery, the Facebook advertising network…with lots of data, Venture Beat
- Another Box Labeled "Google Promotion", Google Blogoscoped
- Why This Search Marketer Expects More from Ask's Ads, Marketing Pilgrim
- Make the Time to Network with the Search Community, SEM In-House Blog
- Paul Levine Has Left the Building, Kelsey Group
- SEM Theory: Shaping Search-related Theory, SEO Theory
- 12 Ways to Use Facebook Professionally, 10e20
- What's the Customer's ROI?, SiteLogic
- The 5 year nap theory and Gut Instinct, Domain King
- Eric Schmidt's summer of public policy, Google Public Policy blog
- The Tyranny of the Common Name, Powerset blog
- Are Your Visitors Searching for Your Products?, GrokDotCom
- Free Web Analytics tools cost you in other ways, Web Metrics Guru
- Technorati is a poor source of blog ranking data …, Web Analytics Demystified
- Q&A with Google's VP of Marketing, Business Week
- Search Engine Marketing and Advertising - What does the future hold?, E-Gain
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!