Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google Makes Changes to Ads Quality Calculation
Google is planning on rolling out a change in the way it calculates the ad placement, which may make it easier for some AdWords advertisers whose ads are on the cusp of earning the top spot on Google's search results pages to break through.
- Implications of Google's New Bid Calculations
Frank Watson thinks Google's announced changes to the PPC cost calculations seem a little like a magic show and the expected audience is novice search advertisers.
- Marchex to Acquire Pay-per-Call Provider
Marchex announced plans to acquire pay-per-call provider VoiceStar, which it hopes to use to bring call-based ad services to its direct-navigation network.
- Implications of Google Custom Search Blog Deletion
Google classified its own blog as spam, and deleted it from their system. It's frightening because it shows you how fragile Spam detection algorithms are.
- Sina Announces Google Partnership Deal
Sina, the Chinese portal, announced details of their partnership with Google to provide search and advertising for them.
- Google Ranking Comments By Subjects of News Stories
Google is allowing the subjects of news articles to have their comments ranked in with the news items they are being written about.
- Former Google Answers Researcher Discusses Demise
A former Google Answers Researcher gives his opinion on why Google dropped the project, suggesting its developers simply lost interest.
- SEW Experts: Reverse Engineering Linking Patterns to Create Link Equity
Justilien Gaspard tells you how to get quality links from trusted sites in a round about manner, creating trusted linking neighborhoods.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Online Reputation Management in 2007 Part Five: Analyzing your Online Presence within the Search Engine Results, SEO-Space
- Search Marketing Industry Shake-up Imminent, Metamend
- The Right Way To Think About Site Maps, Search Engine Land
- A Fishy Social Networking Campaign, ClickZ
- Wikipedia To Experiment With Color-Coded Warnings On Quality, Techdirt
- 10-Q Watch: Yahoo's Acquisitions; Yang Salary, paidContent
- 10 SEO Tips to Remember While Launching a Site, Search Engine Journal
- Google Wants Feedback on Removing PageRank Score, Search Engine Roundtable
- Q&A: Google's Greenberger Talks Campaign '08, Advertising Age
- Take Me Out to the Ballgame..., Yahoo Search blog
- Google search privacy: Plain and simple, Google Blog
- How Some Companies Try to Take Advantage of SEO's, Mr. SEO
- The Reasons People Hate Search Engine Marketers, Site Visibility
- There too many SEO blogs A.K.A this blogs manifesto., Site Visibility
- Like SEO Feeding Frenzies? Feast On Resistance, FathomSEO
- How to Build a Multi-Million Dollar Website, Ramblings About SEO
- Fast Search & Transfer in trouble, Pandia
- What Not To Do With Your Business Blog, TopRank Online Marketing Blog
- The 15 Best SEO Company Website Designs Worldwide, SEO 2.0
- A Usability Rant, SEO Scoop
- Universal Local Search and Direct Navigation, Graywolf's SEO Blog
- Google Caught Selling High PageRank Links, Again & Again, SEO Book
- Interactive Marketing Growing Up?, Mike Moran
- Why Did Google Answers Shut Down?, Google Blogoscoped
- Powerset Releases Growth Models To Public, Powerset
- Google Expanded Match: Background and Pointers, Search Engine Journal
Early Bird Rates have been extended!
June 12-14, 2013: Join industry experts at SES Toronto for a crash course in the latest strategies in Online Marketing and Advertising.
Save $300 when you register by Thursday, May 23.