Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Stone Temple Consulting Publishes Web Analytics Shootout Results
What started as a great idea for linkbait turned into a comprehensive analysis of Web analytics packages rivaling research from the largest firms.
- Facebook Profiles to Become Searchable
Facebook is opening up its user profiles to be crawled by search engines, allowing limited information to be available unless users change their privacy settings.
- Japan Begins Government-led Search Research
The Japanese government is leading a research initiative to help 10 Japanese technology companies shift from electronics hardware to search-related services.
- Yellow Pages Provider Testing Voice-Enabled Local Search
Print and online Yellow Pages provider R.H. Donnelley is testing a new voice-enabled local search solution, dubbed "1-800-CallDex."
- People Search Engine Spock Has Danny Breaking Up Larry and Sergey
Spock, the recently launched beta people info search engine, seems to think that Danny Sullivan as the perfect buffer for Larry and Sergey.
- Local.com Renews With Yahoo As Search Partner
Local.com announced it is renewing its contract to have Yahoo provide its sponsored search results.
- Google Files GPay Patent - Mobile Payment Method
Seems Google is getting ready to launch another of their G ideas. This time it is GPay - a mobile payment method that seems similar to that already used in Europe and Asia.
- SEW Experts: 7 Tips for High Value Analytics
Eric Enge gives you 10 key steps for maximizing your analytics investment, explaining how to overcome some of the limitations of Web analytics packages.
- SEW Experts: How Search Will Save Online Advertising... Again!
Kevin Ryan says that the credit crunch might have some casualties, but search won't be one of them.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Top Ten Facebook Apps for Librarians, iLibrarian
- Hiring? What Works: Fresh blood or old hands? Experience or Novicity?, Occam's Razor
- Google Ads? Why It Is Important to DO THIS Instead of Searching at Google.com, PPC Think
- 8 Tips For Visitor-Friendly AdSense Placement, Pat Doyle
- Yahoo! Buys Advertising.com Jr. - A.K.A BlueLithium, ContextWeb
- Simple Steps for Complex Site Redesign, ClickZ
- What's New With AdWords…, E-Marketing Performance
- Always Avoid Girls with Bad Reputations, SEO Chicks
- ClickTracks vs Omniture: A side by side comparison, Market Motive
- Windows Live Suite announced, LiveSide
- Time-Based SEM Analysis, SEM Angel
- Web Analytics for Facebook: Applications, FBML, and Facebook Engagement?, Web Analytics Demystified
- Big Brands - Big Issues - Small Summary, YOUmoz
- The Anatomy Of Compelling Search Ad Copy, Search Engine Land
- Why You Should Embrace the New Social Media News Release, Search Engine Guide
- Top 21 Signs You Need a Break From SEO (2007 version), Small Business SEM
- All I Really Need To Know About Search Marketing I Learned In Kindergarten, Search Engine Land
- Video Model Yet to Be Determined for Yellow Book and Other Local Ad Providers, ClickZ
- An Old Trademark Suit is Settled in Google's Favor, ClickZ
- Following your money in Facebook, Inside Facebook
- A Bill of Rights for Users of the Social Web, Marc Canter
- College.com: Returning To Facebook's Roots, TechCrunch
- Videos: Internet Law with John W. Dozier, Jr. (video 7:50), Web Marketing Today
- MSN China Wants To Be Out Of Joint Venture, Unofficial SEO Blog
- No, Junior, You Can't Be Our SEO Team Leader (Yet), Search Engine Land
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!