Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Yahoo Showcases Tools for Teachers
Yahoo today gave a sneak peek of Yahoo Teachers, a new research-focused service aimed at making life easier for teachers.
- Idearc Buys Switchboard, Other Assets from InfoSpace
Local search and directory publisher Idearc has acquired Switchboard.com and other directory assets from InfoSpace for $2 million in cash.
- DCLK: Google's Double Data Dealing Digital Destiny?
As the FTC moves closer to a decision on the deal, the executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy hosted a press conference showcasing privacy advocates.
- Cybersquatting defined for search marketers
Intellectual property and ecommerce attorney David Adler discussed the legal definition of cybersquatting, and the legal remedies for search marketers.
- Set the Context in your Custom Search Engine
Now the keywords that you program in the Basics tab of the control panel have a stronger effect on results.
- We Like ‘Em Both
Both SEO and SEM are equally effective online tactics, according to nearly 2,500 marketers surveyed by Marketing Sherpa.
- SMA-NA Dissolved
Ian McAnerin, president of the Search Marketing Association of North America (SMA-NA), announced on Saturday that he will be dissolving the organization due to lack of resources.
- Does Apple offer a crisis communications 2.0 case study?
Apple's mishandling of the iPhone price drop is a must-read for anyone involved in online public relations, consumer generated media, or universal search.
- SEW Experts: Search Marketers Stock in Trade? Not Trading Stocks.
Matt Spiegel discusses why portfolio management no longer strikes fear into the hearts of search marketers. Find out why changing bids doesn't make the marketer.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Use PPC Ad Testing to determine Offline Messages, John Ellis
- Revisited: The Art of SEO, Search Engine Guide
- First Look at Microsoft's Free Web Analytics Tool 'Gatineau' (With Slides), blognation Belgium
- Call for global privacy standards, Google Public Policy blog
- Coremetrics Adds Lifecycle Behavioral Tracking, ClickZ
- Sweet & Sour SEO, ClickZ
- Nokia To Acquire Mobile Advertising Firm Enpocket, TechCrunch
- Omnicom's Agency.com Tries For A Comeback, But Old Dilemmas Persist, paidContent
- Not enough hours for social software, Information World Review
- Iran blocks access to Google, AFP
- Show Your Linking Acumen With Chipmunks, Search Engine Land
- Getting Found in All the Right Places, SEMNE
- When Your On Page SEO Goes Too Far, SearchRank
- Thinking Out Loud: Facebook, Battelle's SearchBlog
- Local Search Is About Products Too, Not Just Restaurants And Plumbers, Search Engine Land
- TechCrunch 40 Session 1: Search & Discovery, TechCrunch
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!