Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Microsoft Invests $240 Million In Facebook
Microsoft purchased a 1.6 percent stake in the company, and will handle banner advertising for Facebook outside of the U.S.
- Developing an In-House Training Plan
Most companies know they need to do search engine optimization (SEO), so they assign the task to one of their employees who they think can "get it." Unfortunately many of the employees do not how to execute properly, and end up frustrated.
- Large Scale Link Building
Got a site with tens of thousands of pages? Chasing a lot of long tail terms? If you do, you are probably already aware that this means you need a lot more links than a smaller site, and you need to get deep links as well.
- Page Rank Drops For Popular Digg Sites
Andy Beard reports that following the recent paid link hunt, Google seems to be cleansing their database of sites popular in Digg.
- Google Offering Online Seminars For Website Optimizer
Google announced yesterday that it will be offering online seminars about their new Website Optimizer program.
- Google, Nielsen Establish Strategic Relationship
Google will combine Nielsen demographic data with the aggregated set-top box data it is already using, giving advertisers more targeting capabilities.
- AdSense Reporting Problems
A number of forums have noted that Google's AdSense reporting is having problems. Yesterday webmasters were noticing discrepancies in basic impression numbers between AdSense and their log files.
- Some Loose Connections -- Dave Weinberger Featured Speaker at ClickZ Interactive Marketing Excellence Awards
This evening Dave Weinberger author of The Cluetrain Manifesto and a fellow at Harvard's Berkman Institute for Internet and Society will be a featured speaker at the ClickZ Awards.
- Get It Right Now by Reading "Do It Wrong Quickly"
Mike Moran's new book is a must-read for search marketers wanting to play larger, more challenging roles in the organizations they work with or in.
- SEW Experts: Raising Search Standards and the Compliance Bar
New IAB/DMA standards will change the way interactive agencies, SEMcos, and solo search practitioners do business.
- SEW Experts: Data Segmentation: Web Site Analytics for PPC
Web site analytics is one of the foundations of search marketing. Learn to segment data and act on it, rather than stare at charts and graphs.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Search Continues to Drive NYTimes Co Traffic and Revenue, ClickZ
- MySpace to Offer Casual Games, Monetized Through In-House Sales, ClickZ
- The IT Group: Friend Or Foe Of In-House Search Marketers?, Search Engine Land
- Revive Touch Points, On- and Offline, ClickZ
- Mobile Advertising 101: Tips for Beginners, ClickZ
- In Foray Into TV, Google Is to Track Ad Audiences, NY Times
- Ex-Googlers Ready to Start a VC Fund, GigaOm
- Google Sitelinks Increase the Value of Generic Domains, ... by a Lot, SEO Book
- Google Drops PageRank For Many Sites : Paid Links or New Algorithm?, Search Engine Journal
- Facebook Set to Introduce Major Ad Play, AdAge
- Yang: Being Yahoo CEO is a 'lonely job', CNET News
- Ask: No Blended Search Result Without Proper Capitalization, Bruce Clay Blog
- Are Seach Engine Optimization Professionals Better Searchers?, Search Engine Roundtable
- A Universal Search Success Story, Search Engine Guide
- Analyzing A PPC Campaign Without Analytics, SEO Speedwagon
- Reputation Management and Search: Avoiding Chunnel Vision, RedBoots Digital Rodeo
- Budgeting For SEO, The Karcher Group
- 10 Of The Best SEO Keyword Selector Tools!, Unofficial SEO blog
- More on Google's Expanded Broad Match, Clix Marketing
- “Do what I mean, not what I say!” [Part 1 of 2], Live Search Blog
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!