Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Size Matters in Social Media
While many social media marketers focus on the big social sites, there can be hidden treasure in "micro communities."
- A look into the purpose of Google's "PageRank update"
A lot of blogs have been talking about a PageRank update in progress, but if you look under the covers, it really looks like a manually applied update to a set of sites that are being punished.
- Google Meets the Financial Press
Google held an all-day briefing for financial analysts and press yesterday at the Googleplex.
- Judy's Book to be Sold or Shuttered
Local search pioneer Judy's Book is folding to investor pressure and closing its doors, according to CEO Andy Sack.
- SEW Experts: Solving the Link Building Puzzle: Do or Die, Part 2
When link building is a life-or-death choice, don't take unnecessary risks.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Why Vertical Local Search Sites Will Succeed, ClickZ
- Google Analyst Day: Live Coverage, Silicon Alley Insider
- Utah Trademark Protection Act Dying a Slow Death, Technology & Marketing Law
- Make the Search Engines Find Your Web Site, bMighty
- Do You Need an SEO Consultant?, bMighty
- And the Winners Are..., ClickZ
- Social Media Marketing: The New SEO?, Search Engine Land
- Search Windows of Opportunity: Topicality, Regionality, Seasonality and the Small Business, Search Engine Land
- Perspective: Facebook Is Now 5th Most Valuable U.S. Internet Company, TechCrunch
- Is GOOG Shafting Its AdSense Partners?, Silicon Valley Watcher
- Yellow Pages 3.0 (a.k.a. The New New Yellow Pages), Local SEO Guide
- Rest in Peace, Judy's Book, LocalPoint
- How Google May Blend Information From Feeds and Extracted Data For Search Results, SEO by the Sea
- The Ultimate Guide to Adapting your PPC campaign for the Christmas Season, SiteVisibility
- A common misconception revisited, Inside AdWords
- Yes, Web Analytics Supports SEO, Fathom SEO
- Search And the Digital CPG Shelf, Search Insider
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!