Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Microsoft adCenter Adds Immediate Editorial Updates, Daily Spend Limits
The Big Three seem to be getting closer and closer to being mirrors - guess that will be easier on us when Google buys Microsoft and Yahoo.
- Old Time Spam Tactics Still Work (Sometimes)
Granted that the sites I see this working for tend to be smaller sites that are competing for terms that are at best moderately competitive. My best guess is that it relates to the demands that it would place on the search engine infrastructure to try and detect even the obvious tricks on all web sites.
- Fox, NBC and Others Testing Online TV With Hulu.com
Competition for YouTube offers Google's competitors a way to garner more traffic and possibly improve their search share.
- Matt Cutts Confirms Google-Slap
With all the guessing and theorizing about Google's recent PageRank update, there's now at least confirmation that the update happened, and why.
- Content advertising: Search Engine content networks
One of the biggest challenges facing SEMs: making smart decisions about search engine content networks. It's often a problem they can't easily solve.
- Physical Addresses To Aid Online Targeting?
Recently, Acxiom announced new services which actively connect addresses to online ads. When their customers collect addresses online, Acxiom maps them to lifestyle codes and enables ad targeting using these codes.
- SEW Experts: Search and Brand Authenticity
CMO life expectancy shrinks. Search for brand authenticity grows. With the need to market an authentic brand, it's time for marketing to reclaim some of its glory.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Search Engine Optimization Basics, Online Marketing Blog
- YourStreet Relaunches as Elegant Local News Site, Read/Write Web
- How Are You Going To Get A Link If They Don't Know You Exist?, Cornwall SEO
- Thinking about domains, Seth Godin
- Online Copywriting 101: The Ultimate Cheat Sheet, GrokDotCom
- What Topic Do You Care About?, DMOZ Blog
- Effective Keyword SEO Research, Part 2, ClickZ
- The Power of .htaccess, E-Marketing Performance
- How Real Is Mobile Video?, Local Mobile Search
- Thin-Slice Your Target Market, Convert Offline
- Avoiding Ad Fatigue, Yahoo Publisher Network Blog
- 3 Surprises in the Google PageRank Update, Stone Temple Consulting
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!