Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Microsoft Exec Claims They Will Have 30% Search Market Share
Kevin Johnson, president of Microsoft's platforms and services division, said he thinks Microsoft can get a 40% share of the search market in the next 3-5 years.
- Thanksgiving Turkey, Image Search, and Missed Opportunities
With Thanksgiving less than a week away, I fully expected that finding an image of a choice roasted turkey would be as simple as firing up my browser turning to either Google or Yahoo image search. To my surprise this was not to be.
- The 10 Most Common SEO Mistakes
There are surely hundreds of different ways that people can mess up their sites. Based on our experience from working with scores of clients, here are the most common problems that we find.
- Clickable Areas on AdSense Redefined
Google has redefined the clickable area of its text ads to make only the ad's title and URL clickable, instead of the whole block of text.
- SEW Experts: Local Search: Competing All Over the Map
Google Maps, launched with AJAX functionality, draggable maps, and satellite imagery in late 2005, started an "arms race" in development of new features and functionality.
- SEW Experts: Brand Strategies for Search Marketing - Part 1
Whether you're an agency, consultant, or in-house search expert, it's likely that you will eventually need to answer this key question from your CEO: "Why would I buy my own brand terms? Aren't we are already listed at the top of the search engines?"
- SEW Experts: A Winning SEO Plan to Create Buzz, Traffic, Links
How do you engage users, create buzz and generate links all at the same time?
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Are You Really Ready for Black Friday?, ClickZ
- Are Social Networks the New Networks?, ClickZ
- A Web Analytics Breakthrough (That May Never Be Used), ClickZ
- Domain Names and SEO, SEO.com
- 7 Ideas For Social Media And Business, The Lonely Marketer
- Death of the Big Media In-House SEO?, Local SEO Guide
- Challenges of Scaling Big PPC Management for Small SEM Shops, aimClear
- An Example of Automated Accessibility Testing, SEO Theory
- Mobile Advertising Revenue Forecast: North America and Western Europe, 2007-2012, Opus Research
- Why SEO's Hate Internet Explorer E-Marketing Performance
- PPC Outsource or In-House? Rules of thumb, Rimm-Kaufman Group
- Guide to Twitter as a Tool for Marketing and PR, Online Marketing Blog
- An Example of Automated Accessibility Testing, Joe Dolson
- Onpage SEO: 7 Tips That Are Easy to Implement, Performancing
- An Insider's Perspective on the Multi-Billion Dollar Domain Name Industry, Domain News
- Early Feedback on Google AdSense Click Area Change, Search Engine Roundtable
- 5 Ways Small Business Can Benefit From Social Media/Networking Sites, Search Engine Guide
- Designing the Perfect Small Business Marketing Conference, Search Engine Guide
- 8 Things the Search Industry Can Teach Small Businesses, Small Business SEM
- Improving Your Ad Copy, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- ChaCha: A Bad Idea Poorly Executed, Raises $10 Million, TechCrunch
- Fundamental principles of keyword analysis, SEO Theory
- What Does Google Think About Linkbait?, Small Business SEM
- Did Yahoo Search Change How They Handle 301 Redirects?, Search Engine Roundtable
- 8 qualities to look for when hiring an in-house SEO, Sean McGinnis
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!