Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- ChaCha launches text service at Sundance Film Festival
The “human-powered search engine” now lets users text questions of any kind to a ChaCha guide and receive text answers on their cell phone.
- Ask and LookSmart Send Out Click Fraud Settlement Letters
Letters were sent out yesterday for a class action suit that both companies are trying to put behind them.
- Ask.com introduces voice-activated capabilities to mobile search service
The new "Click to Speak" feature lets people speak their location and desired destination to receive directions on their web-enabled mobile devices.
- SEW Experts: Search Engine Marketing 21st Century Manifesto
As Web marketers, our time has come. We must stand up to our clients and demand they build sites worth linking to.
- SEW Experts: SEO.edu: Can You Learn SEO From a Book? - Part 3
Search engines give SEOs the 4 PRs for submitting sites: press releases, product releases, proper rules, and PageRank. But these alone won't solve SEO problems.
- SEO Company CEO Arrested, Jailed: Accused of Foreclosure Scam
Traffic Power earned an infamous reputation as a search engine optimization firm, allegedly using "black hat" tactics that may have resulted in bans by Google, Yahoo and other search engines. Now Traffic Power's CEO is behind bars for allegedly running a housing foreclosure scam.
- Wikia Search Engine To Launch Test Version Jan. 7
Wikia founder Jimmy Wales said last year that this open source, community-driven program would eventually challenge Google.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Local Search's 2008 Outlook, ClickZ Experts
- The Google Challengers: 2008 Edition, Search Engine Land
- How SEO Has Evolved Over The Years, Search Engine Land
- ISPs Collect User Data for Behavioral Ad Targeting, ClickZ News
- Report Predicts Higher Graphical Ad CPMs, More Growth for Search and Ad Networks, ClickZ News
- Seven Top Online Marketing Trends for 2008, ClickZ Experts
- Is Yahoo Being Prepped for a Sale?, Seeking Alpha
- Why Social Marketing is Critical to the Internet Marketing Mix, 10e20
- Interview With Terry Plank SEMPO Institute, Online Marketing Blog
- Remainders from 2007: Good Stuff I Didn't Get to Yet, SEO by the Sea
- A Complete List of the Many Forms of Web Marketing for 2008, Web Strategy by Jeremiah
- Why Deciphering The Truth From Speculation In SEM/SEO Is Important, SEMSpot
- Internet Marketing Ninja Interview with Jim Boykin, Online Marketing Blog
- Get Up to Speed on the Paid Links Debate, Search Engine Guide
- Queen Of Links - Debra Mastaler Interview, LinkJuicy
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!