Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Yahoo CEO Says They Want To Become Internet's Indispensable Starting Point
Jerry Wang outlined his vision of Yahoo's future as the "internet's indispensable starting point" at CES.
- Wikia Search: Wikia Dream? Or SEO Wake-Up Call?
Wikia Search is a project to *build* a search engine, not a completed search engine. So the comparison to Google on day one is just mistaken.
- How Will Wikia Grow The Index?
We would be interested in knowing the game plan for developing a substantial index over time. It's not just about numbers, although a billion or two could help with a 2009 launch.
- Wikia Search Requires Your Help
Right now, Wikia is more concept than reality. The plan is to apply collaborative tools to build a better search engine than Google.
- SEW Experts: Increase ROI: Google Performance Placement Reports
Google's new Placement Performance report can help you fine-tune your content campaigns to make sure you're getting the most out of your ads.
- China Limits Video, Audio Podcasts To State Run Sites
The Chinese government plans to restrict all video and audio content on sites starting next month.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- How 2007's Key Search Trend Will Impact 2008, ClickZ Experts
- Why SEOs Will Kill Wikia Search, Marketing Pilgrim
- What Does 2008 Have In Store For Local?, Search Engine Land
- Googler's Bet Goobles On Predictive Markets During Their Free Lunch, Search Engine Land
- Video: Flipping the 80/20 Business Rule, Search Engine Guide
- Google on Reading Text in Images from Street Views, Store Shelves, and Museum Interiors, SEO by the Sea
- What Was the Most Improved PPC Program in 2007?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Why SEMPO is Worse than the Defunct Search Marketing Associations, SEO Book
- Is Google Knol Really a Wikipedia Rival?, Bill Hartzer
- Why Can't Google Be More Like Ask.com?, SearchRank
- 2008 The year of Reputation Management?, Endless Plain
- Prediction Markets at Google, Battelle's SearchBlog
- Search Spend Laps Display Advertising, Alchemist Media
- Clix Marketing's Favorite PPC Blogs, Clix Marketing
- Queen Of Links - Debra Mastaler Interview, LinkJuicy
- My plea to Google - Please sanitize your REP revamps, Sebastian's Pamphlets
- 8 AdSense resolutions for 2008, Inside AdSense
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!