Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Cheap Computing Will Change Everything
Author Nick Carr says that in the same way cheap electricity changed society 100 years ago, cheap computing is in the process of changing society today.
- Wired Or Tired: West Coast SEMers Infighting Getting Attention
Personally, I am hoping it is just like the rapper wars – more for the publicity than actual animosity.
- CMOs & VPs: Beware of IT Fiefdoms Ruling Marketing Roost
If your company has more than $10 million in revenue, consider whether it's prudent now to separate the IT and Internet marketing departments to avoid SEM pitfalls.
- SEW Experts: Google Universal Search Makes SEO More Powerful
Search marketers need to understand universal search before their competitors do.
- SEW Experts: Search Engine Conferences: Where CMOs Meet Social Media
Any SEM education most marketing executives got in business school is outdated, at best.
- SEW Experts: Search Engine Marketing on the Efficient Frontier - Part 2
Mention the word "algorithm" and media buyers and online marketers flee for cover. But the list of SEM firms and technology providers that offer proprietary technology with sophisticated algorithms is growing.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Mobile Marketing's Wild Years to Yield a Gold Rush, ClickZ News
- Microsoft's Atlas Delivers Ads to Shopping Carts, ClickZ News
- What's In a Number?, The Kelsey Group blog
- Who's Paying Attention to PPC Ads?, Searching Beyond the Paid
- The Three Biggest Mistakes in Search Marketing, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- Government Steps Up Efforts To Access Any Email or Web Search Data, SearchRank
- Are You Accidentally Blocking Ask.com on Old Websites?, Finding the Sweet Spot
- Optimizing for Blended Search: What You Need to Know, SEO-space
- Inside the 5 Badges of the Conference Caste System, Influential Marketing
- Paid Search For Big Sites, 10e20
- YP Contemplating Suicide by SEO, Convert Offline
- Why Aren't Local Ads Coming Online?, Screenwerk
- How I Screwed Up My Search Engine Optimization - SEO Content Mistakes Made by the "Expert", Junta42
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!