Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Search Engine Stocks Taking A Beating
Across the board, the search engines are being hit just as bad as every other stock on the international exchanges.
- Interview: Craig Newmark on Online Real Estate Part 2
Part 2 of Promediacorp CEO Avi Wilensky's one-on-one with Craig Newmark on online real estate.
- Microsoft Launches New Ad Campaign for Live Search
In the spirit of its Ms. Dewey experiment, Microsoft has launched a new site, Left vs. Right, which pits opponents from two sides of the political spectrum.
- Google Turns to Publicis to Increase its Madison Avenue Savvy
Google and Publicis are more than a year into a relationship where Google's technology smarts and Publicis' media planning expertise are being shared to the benefit of both companies.
- Baidu Sets Out to Conquer Japan
China's most popular search engine has launched its long-anticipated Japanese portal.
- SEW Experts: There's More to Keyword Strategy Than the Long Tail
Choosing which keywords you want to chase in your SEO strategy can be a challenging task. Go after terms that are too competitive, and you might not get there in time, or at all. Go after terms that are easier to rank high for, and you're likely to get there much faster, but at what cost?
- SEW Experts: A Gloomy Searchonomic Forecast
A step back shouldn't equate to repeating past mistakes. Much in the same way our weak dollar and inevitable recession can't be remedied by short-term tax rebates and cutting interest rates, Yahoo can't get fixed by cutting off its arm to spite its face.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- SEMDirector Branches Out from Search, Changes Name, ClickZ News
- SEM's Midlife Crisis, ClickZ Experts
- Google's Remove URLs Feature Removes For 90 Days Only, Search Engine Roundtable
- Link Buying: Reviewed and not Guaranteed is the line in the sand., Jim Boykin
- SEO 101: Valuing SEO-Conscious Web Design, cshel
- What is the First SEO Question?, Webmama
- Predictions on the Social Graph for 2008: Charlene Li and Jeremiah, Web Strategy by Jeremiah
- The only constant in search optimization, SEO Theory
- More Web 2.0 Ideas for Local Search Sites, The Kelsey Group
- Building A Career In Search Marketing, Search Engine Land
- Building Smarter Landing Pages For Stronger Leads, Search Engine Land
- Direct Visitors vs the Google Machine, SEO Book
- Yahoo's “Universal Search” and Vertical Search Suggestions, SEO by the Sea
- Whoops! Ask.com complaint to FTC is an EPIC mistake, News.com
- Getting More Conversions from Organic Search Traffic, Search Marketing Sage
- Blogging: Social Media is Not Only About Social Media Sites, Techipedia
- Recession & the Economic State of the Search Marketing Industry: An Interview With An Economist, Square Oak
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!