Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Microsoft Wants to Buy Yahoo: Convergence, Continued
There have been rumors of late about some sort of Microsoft/Yahoo hookup -- and here it is. Microsoft just tendered a $31/share bid for Yahoo. All of Yahoo.
- Paid Search Advertising Drives Microsoft Bid for Yahoo
More relevant search results and social media innovations won't solve the problem of Google's dominance in paid search advertising.
- MSN and Yahoo Merged: How Would It All Mash Up?
Aside from the potential effect on Yahoo/MS investors and the American Economy (which will be reported on ad nauseum), the implications for the search marketing industry could be massive and exciting.
- Yahoo Board, Sans Semel, to Consider Microsoft Bid
Former CEO and chairman Terry Semel stepped down as chairman last night.
- The Other Side of the MS/Yahoo Deal
What would this merger mean in term of a search experience, organic results and news content?
- Super Bowl Advertisers Mostly Unprepared, Search-wise
Advertisers pony up big bucks to create and air an ad during the Super Bowl, then fail to prepare for the inevitable searches for their company and ads.
- SEW Experts: Why All Links Are Paid Links in the Travel Trade
The paid links debate isn't so black and white. The question of what truly constitutes a paid link, and what qualifies as advertising, will continue to be a huge point of contention.
- SEW Experts: Rewriting URLs: SEO for CMS, E-Commerce, and Dynamic Sites
There's as much confusion and controversy surrounding URL rewriting as Darwin's theory of evolution.
- SEW Experts: Optimizing the Planet: SEO on a Global Scale
When building an SEO team to provide global services, it's necessary to recruit skilled, multilingual SEO experts -- no easy task.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Microsoft Stuns Industry with $44.6 Billion Bid for Yahoo, ClickZ News
- Yahoo's Revamped AT&T Deal Aligns with Display Ad Network Goal, ClickZ News
- More Ways Than Ever for Big Game Watchers to Vote on Ads, ClickZ News
- Nonprofits, Google Grants, and Search, ClickZ Experts
- The Average Conversion Rate: Is It a Myth?, ClickZ Experts
- Zvents Launches New Local Search, Local SEO Guide
- Local Search - The Business Model, Convert Offline
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!