Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Social Media 2.0 - Witness for the Defence
The web has changed the way we access information and people have discovered the power of voice. Should a press release be a part of this social Web?
- Just the First Shot
Buying Yahoo is firing the first futuristic shot in tomorrow's war; Yahoo is just the beginning for Microsoft. And the war is not for search advertising space.
- Microsoft Research Lab in Cambridge Isn't Ivory Tower
Microsoft's researchers do not work in an ivory tower where basic research doesn't have a business imperative.
- Microsoft Won't Beg or Steal; Will Borrow to Buy Yahoo
Microsoft's CFO said the company would likely borrow to pay for the cash portion of its Yahoo bid, a first in the company's history.
- Does Social Media 2.0 deserve a second life?
Is Marketwire's Social Media 2.0 press release another meatball sundae?
- SEW Experts: Search Marketing Trends That Matter
Search optimization and advertising is gaining its rightful place among marketers' tools.
- SEW Experts: How to Target Sites in AdSense
David Szetela shares tips for creating placement-targeted campaigns (originally called site-targeted campaigns).
- Microsoft Fires Back at Google: Who's Playing Monopoly?
Microsoft fired back at Google, in essence promising to "Do No Evil" after acquiring Yahoo.
- Google Weighs in on Microhoo: It May Be Evil
"It's about preserving the underlying principles of the Internet: openness and innovation."
- Microsoft-Yahoo: All About Search, Not E-mail Assets
Tim O'Reilly views Microsoft-Yahoo as a Web 2.0 play with the combined company dominating free (Web 1.0) online e-mail services.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Advertisers Welcome Possible Yahoo Sale, But Fear CPM Hikes, ClickZ News
- Yahoo Bid May Bring Microsoft New Antitrust Battles, ClickZ News
- Balancing Aesthetics, SEO in Web Site Development, ClickZ Experts
- What a Microsoft Acquisition of Yahoo Means to Webmasters & Web Publishing Business Models, SEO Book
- Google - Average Number of Words Per Query have Increased! beu blog
- Interview with Google's Adam Lasnik, Stone Temple Consulting
- Use Lifetime Visitor Values To Raise Bids While Increasing Profits, Search Engine Land
- Getting Good Reviews for your B&B, Inn or Hotel - Chat With An Innkeeper, SEO Igloo
- Learn SEO: Competitor Analysis, Learning SEO Basics
- Agencies Managing Affiliate & Search campaign's together, BlogStorm
- What is the Second SEO Question?, Webmama
- Why SEO collective wisdom lacks credibility, SEO Theory
- AOL Buys Goowy Widget Creator, Marketing Pilgrim
- Search Engine Optimization For Your Flash Site, Bruce Clay Blog
- Nofollow Killed Google Social Graph API 3 Years Ago, Andy Beard
- Some Suggestions from Google About the Content Network, eWhisper
- Microsoft and Yahoo: TKG's Take, The Kelsey Group
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!