Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Social Media 2.0 - Witness for the Defence
The web has changed the way we access information and people have discovered the power of voice. Should a press release be a part of this social Web?
- Just the First Shot
Buying Yahoo is firing the first futuristic shot in tomorrow's war; Yahoo is just the beginning for Microsoft. And the war is not for search advertising space.
- Microsoft Research Lab in Cambridge Isn't Ivory Tower
Microsoft's researchers do not work in an ivory tower where basic research doesn't have a business imperative.
- Microsoft Won't Beg or Steal; Will Borrow to Buy Yahoo
Microsoft's CFO said the company would likely borrow to pay for the cash portion of its Yahoo bid, a first in the company's history.
- Does Social Media 2.0 deserve a second life?
Is Marketwire's Social Media 2.0 press release another meatball sundae?
- SEW Experts: Search Marketing Trends That Matter
Search optimization and advertising is gaining its rightful place among marketers' tools.
- SEW Experts: How to Target Sites in AdSense
David Szetela shares tips for creating placement-targeted campaigns (originally called site-targeted campaigns).
- Microsoft Fires Back at Google: Who's Playing Monopoly?
Microsoft fired back at Google, in essence promising to "Do No Evil" after acquiring Yahoo.
- Google Weighs in on Microhoo: It May Be Evil
"It's about preserving the underlying principles of the Internet: openness and innovation."
- Microsoft-Yahoo: All About Search, Not E-mail Assets
Tim O'Reilly views Microsoft-Yahoo as a Web 2.0 play with the combined company dominating free (Web 1.0) online e-mail services.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Advertisers Welcome Possible Yahoo Sale, But Fear CPM Hikes, ClickZ News
- Yahoo Bid May Bring Microsoft New Antitrust Battles, ClickZ News
- Balancing Aesthetics, SEO in Web Site Development, ClickZ Experts
- What a Microsoft Acquisition of Yahoo Means to Webmasters & Web Publishing Business Models, SEO Book
- Google - Average Number of Words Per Query have Increased! beu blog
- Interview with Google's Adam Lasnik, Stone Temple Consulting
- Use Lifetime Visitor Values To Raise Bids While Increasing Profits, Search Engine Land
- Getting Good Reviews for your B&B, Inn or Hotel - Chat With An Innkeeper, SEO Igloo
- Learn SEO: Competitor Analysis, Learning SEO Basics
- Agencies Managing Affiliate & Search campaign's together, BlogStorm
- What is the Second SEO Question?, Webmama
- Why SEO collective wisdom lacks credibility, SEO Theory
- AOL Buys Goowy Widget Creator, Marketing Pilgrim
- Search Engine Optimization For Your Flash Site, Bruce Clay Blog
- Nofollow Killed Google Social Graph API 3 Years Ago, Andy Beard
- Some Suggestions from Google About the Content Network, eWhisper
- Microsoft and Yahoo: TKG's Take, The Kelsey Group
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!