Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google Map Business Categories, Unraveling the Black Box
Blumenthal has published research which seems to offer a solution to help garner placement in coveted Google Maps business categories.
- Decision Time for Yahoo?
Today's the day Yahoo's board will make a decision on how to proceed with Microsoft's takeover bid.
- Y! Live is Dead! Long Live Yahoo! Live
Yahoo! Live, the experimental live video service, debuted and crashed today.
- SEW Experts: How To Market Your Search Engine Agency
You'd think that being in the marketing business would mean you were an expert at marketing your own business. In reality, it can be a struggle to keep a regular pipeline of sales leads.
- SEW Experts: Tracking and Analytics 101
The lack of uniform analytics definitions creates problems for marketers.
- SEW Experts: The 411 on Local Search Data for Business
When incorrect listing information for your company finds its way into the local listing database of some data provider, it can start spreading like wildfire from local search site to local search site.
- SEOs of the World, Unite!
anuary was a bad month for SEO reputation. Will February be SEO Groundhog Day?
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Yahoo, in Search of a Miracle, ClickZ Experts
- Google Bashes Microsoft's Yahoo Bid, ClickZ Experts
- SEM Firm Applies Century-Old Linguistics Law, ClickZ News
- Time to Change Blades in Occam's Razor, ClickZ Experts
- Top 10 Search Terms in 10 Categories, January 2008, ClickZ Stats
- Do Directory Submissions Still Hold Any Value?, Search Engine Guide
- Microsoft Live Search Core Relevance Program Management Director Eytan Seidman Moves On, Search Engine Land
- Is It Too Late for Yahoo?, NY Times
- Should IAC Merge With AOL?, NYT Bits
- Top Ten Online Marketing Tactics, Online Marketing Blog
- How to Determine the Effectiveness of Your Internal Link Structure, SEO Book
- What Does Social Media Have to do with Search? Plenty, Bill Hartzer
- Super Bowl 2008: Fumbling Through Social Media, SearchViews
- The Evaporating Yellow Line between SEO & Social Media, aimClear
- Analyzing the Reputation Problem Before Engaging., Endless Plain
- Throwing mud in your own SERPs, Search Engine Tigers
- Paid Search Ads and FDA Guidelines, Catalyst Online
- 23 Top online retailers analytic packages revealed, Brian Chappell
- Driving up placement targeting earnings, Inside AdSense
- The Page 2 Bump, Local SEO Guide
- Are Trade Shows a Waste of Time and Resources?, The Lonely Marketer
- Social Media - How to Measure Marketing Effectiveness, Hubspot
- How To Start Domaining The Right Way, The Mad Hat
- How Social Media is changing the online landscape, Social Media Optimization
- The 4 P's of Marketing Online, 10e20
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!