Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Search Engine Strategies London -- Day One
Search Engine Strategies London 2008 is underway. With Day One under our belts, we're happy to share some of the coverage of the event from around the Web.
- Ralph Wilson's Introduction to Search Marketing at SES London
Ralph provided a clear concise introduction to the lingo and processes for organic and paid search.
- SEW Experts: How To Outrank Your SEO Competitors
Clients and readers often ask why a site that's younger, smaller, or just plain "uglier" outranks them. There really isn't a simple answer.
- SEW Experts: American Express Axes Ellen DeGeneres: Au Natural On Amex Site
SEO success lives or dies in the proper execution of necessary SEO components. Recommendations alone don't make your site rank.
- Does Pay Per Click Make SEOs Lazy?
"Most people are too lazy to spend years researching their topic, years building a brand, years building links, and years building social and customer relationships." writes Aaron Wall. "But if someone sees me ranking in the organic results, they can't just clone it unless they know SEO well, and are committed for the long haul."
- Meta Tags As Persuasive Content
Recently we've been told that Meta description tags are pretty much useless, as far as SEO goes. But in SEO PR, descriptions are worth their weight in gold.
- SEO, Social Marketing & Scientology
An anonymous group trying to spread a negative message about Scientology is behaving much like an SEO or social media marketer would when marketing a client in the search engines and social platforms.
- The Speed Of The Web: Do We Realize How Far We Have Come
With high speed connections and wireless access, we have come a long way in a very short time.
- Hello Google Porn
Porn transmitted on Hello.com, a Web site owned and operated by Google, helped catch an alleged predator in South Carolina.
- Social Media Buzz Pocket Mining: The New Keyword Research
Keyword research's social-climbing step sister, "Buzz Pocket Mining" is not-so-quietly becoming the 800 pound gorilla next door.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Data-Driven Marketing, ClickZ Experts
- A Big Roundup Of Link Building Tools, Search Engine Land
- Virtual Blight & The Ten Commandments For Online Marketers, Search Engine Land
- Yahoo Makes Big Customer Satisfaction Gains In Search, Search Engine Land
- A Chat with Analytics Guru Jim Sterne, SEM Clubhouse
- SES London 2008 Interview - Piers Stobbs, Endless Plain
- Pre-SES London interviews: Piers Stobbs, comScore, SEMPO Global Search Blog
- On Leaving Yahoo, Brad Horowitz
- How to Build a Bad Ass Brand in 5 Easy Steps, SEO Chicks
- Should You Really Care What Bloggers Are Saying About Your Business?, Search Engine Guide
- Make the Most of SEO Competitive Research : Evaluating the Competition, Search Engine Journal
- The Fallacy of SEO Celebrity, Online Marketing Blog
- The Desire for Fame in the SEO World, SEOmoz
- Mike Blumenthal on the Local Search Market & Strategies for Local SEO, SEOmoz
- Increasing the Value of Conference Moderators, Dan Perry
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!