Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Flickr photo sharing awards for SES London 2008
Search Engine Strategies London wrapped up last week and the 2,000 attendees have returned to work with a new understanding of how Google's universal search is incorporating images as well as videos, news, maps, books, and websites into a single set of results.
- Media Spend on Search, Verticals, Continues to Grow
Search made up 31 percent of the $735 million in media billings in 2007 by Microsoft-owned Avenue A | Razorfish, second only to ads on vertical sites at 39 percent of spending.
- Kelsey Group Predicts Growth in Interactive, Directional Ads
Interactive advertising revenue in the U.S. will grow from $22.5 billion in 2007 to $62.4 billion by 2012, according to a new Kelsey Group report.
- SEW Experts: Google AdWords Contextual Advertising Mystery Solved
Readers have tried running placement-targeted campaigns, and found many AdSense publisher sites don't seem to be available to them. David Szetela shares a way to work around issues with Google's discovery tool.
- How It Came To This: Virals vs. Microsoft
Microsoft's Kevin Johnson e-mailed his team detailing Microsoft's interest in the Yahoo merger, and the benefits the company and its employees will gain if the deal goes through.
- SEO Shenanigans Bury Digg, Trip StumbleUpon, Poison Delicio.us?
Steve Rubel comes out against "SEO shenanigans" and their corruption of social media in his Micropersuasion blog.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Smaller Sites Scored in 2007 as Pricier Portals Snubbed, ClickZ News
- Local.com Has High Hopes for Beefed Up Sales Team, ClickZ News
- Blogging for Search Engine Optimization, ClickZ Experts
- Atlas Unveils Multi-Channel Attribution, ClickZ News
- Steve Rubel Attacks SEO's Use of Social Media - The Pot Calling the Kettle Black?, Marketing Pilgrim
- The 3 "Impossible" Conversations for Corporations, Web Strategy by Jeremiah
- Give Google your feedback on NOINDEX, but read this pamphlet beforehand!, Sebastian's Pamphlets
- The final nail in the coffin of sponsored blog themes, BlogStorm
- New Yahoo Buzz Screenshot Preview, North Rock
- Interview of Nicholas Carr on The Big Switch, Blogging, & the Internet, SEO Book
- Search Engine Strategies Conference in New York (SES NYC), Johnon
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!