Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- 7 Deadly SEO Questions for Google's Matt Cutts
"Among search geeks and online marketers, Matt Cutts is like an internet god."
- Ask.com to Cut 8%, Revamp Search Plans
Ask.com will reportedly stop trying to compete directly with Google as a mainstream search engine, and will instead focus on targeting niches where it feels it can prosper, based on the way users are searching with Ask.com now.
- Facebook Hires Sandberg to Make Microsoft's $240 Million Investment Pay Off
In the strange bedfellows game in tech, the Google exec will help Microsoft profit from the $15 billion Facebook valuation Microsoft's $240 million investment created.
- Yahoo Announces onePlace at CeBIT
Yahoo took advantage of the CeBIT conference in Hamburg, Germany to announce the forthcoming launch of onePlace, a content management solution developed as part of the company's growing mobile services.
- Spot Runner Buys Weblistic: Local Search on Video Steroids
Today Spot Runner announced its acquisition of Weblistic, a provider of local online advertising, in an all-stock transition.
- Virgin Charter Launches Vertical Search Engine
Sir Riichard Branson launched a new vertical search engine, Virgin Charter, that promises to revolutionize high-end corporate travel and last minute luxury travel.
- Gates Talks Smack - Google Talk Crack
"In terms of Google, not to overstate it, but they really don't understand the special needs of business."
- SEW Experts: Small Business Growing? Know When to Let Go
If you're spending more time on search marketing than actually running your business, it might be time to outsource.
- Dr. Seuss Created Google - Here's Proof
Dr. Seuss is the Genius behind Google. Here's proof: Goo Goo + Goggles = Google. ((goo + goo) - goo))+ (goggles - g squared - s) = google.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Digital Marketing Optimization, ClickZ Experts
- Mapping the Complete Path to Success, ClickZ Experts
- Online Market Research Giant TNS Snaps Up Boston's Compete, ClickZ News
- 10 Interactive Marketing Tips from Barack and Hillary, ClickZ Experts
- Danny Sullivan Tackles Search 3.0 and 4.0 in SMX West Keynote, Search Engine Land
- Ignorant Customers Happier With Their Choices, AttentionMax
- How Analytics Can Help You Debunk a Perceived Failure (or Not), E-Marketing Performance
- When is Click Through Rate Important in B2B Paid Search?, KO Marketing
- SEO Is The Worst Thing Ever Invented, Vanessa Fox
- Are we ready to create SEO standards?, SEO Theory
- Bee's Do It, Even NonProfits Do It. Let's Do It, Let's Fall In Link Love, The Link Spiel
- The Future of Social Networks at Graphing Social Patterns, Read/Write Web
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!