Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Yahoo Launches Fire Eagle: Location Sharing
Fire Eagle shares your location information with services and applications that you choose. This location information is obtained from the web or your mobile device.
- Microsoft Research Unveils Three New Search Projects
Two projects, SearchTogether and CoSearch, are aimed at collaborative search while SearchBar assists the individual searcher.
- YouTube, Wikipedia, Facebook: Most Popular Social Media Sites in UK
Nielsen's data, released today, proves that reports of social media's demise in the UK may be unfounded.
- Yahoo Fires Back
Yahoo is taking its time setting a date for its annual meeting, since if there's no annual meeting, there can be no vote by shareholders, bolstered by Microsoft, to replace Yahoo's existing board with a more Microsoft-friendly one.
- Yahoo Desperately Seeking Suitor: Time Warner
With a Microsoft proxy battle expected soon, Time Warner's emerging as a white knight for the Sunnyvale search engine. Or as a delaying tactic to put off the Yahoo annual shareholder meeting.
- Google: The Spy Who Loved Me
Web search algorithms are improved by the "wisdom of the crowds" drawn from the "logs of billions of previous search queries."
- SEW Experts: The Beginning of the End? Or the End of the Beginning?
ComScore's recent data showing flat paid search growth for Google led many in the media to declare that the paid search sky was falling. But the rush to judgment was wrong, and there are other factors involved.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- SEM's Elusive Long View, ClickZ Experts
- The Next Step for Behavioral Targeting: Social Media?, ClickZ Experts
- Google Sales Exec Sandberg to Join Facebook as COO, ClickZ News
- Omniture's SiteCatalyst Turns 14, ClickZ News
- Spot Runner Takes Full Service Approach, Looks to Build Sales Staff, ClickZ News
- Google Tests Additional Search Box Within Search Results, Search Engine Land
- SEO Site Audit: A Wise Investment For All Companies, Search Engine Land
- Link Building Secrets Revealed, Pole Position Marketing
- Pros and Cons of Hiring SEOs, Online Marketing Blog
- Yahoo In Control Of Open Search, Search Insider
- Vote Which Charity Gets the Money @ IM-NY SES Party sponsored by BOTW, AimClear
- An Interview with Jeremiah Andrick of Live Search Webmaster Tools, Stepforth SEO
- What is the Third SEO Question?, Webmama
- UK SEO Census - 8 Bloggers (And Me) Under the Microscope, Apple Pie & Custard
- There is more to Social Media than Sexy Buzzwords, Brian Chappell
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!