Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Your Baby's Ugly - Why You Need Landing Page Optimization Now
All new parents think their drooling, wailing, wrinkled little midget is beautiful - and that's as it should be. The same seems to be true of landing pages.
- Visual Search Engine Searchme Launches Private Beta
Searchme employs Adobe Flash and Flex to create a user interface that displays results as web page screenshots.
- EU Approves Google DoubleClick Deal
The EU approved Google's acquisition of DoubleClick today and Google's ready. The $3.1 billion deal went through despite concerns over privacy and antitrust issues.
- Google Plays Down Paid Search Decline; Seeks Display Ad Dominance
Ever since news broke about a slowdown in growth of paid click advertising, Google's stock has been falling -- drastically. But yesterday, sounding like a schoolboy with an exposed weakness, Google's Tim Armstrong offered up a "We meant to do that" defense.
- Murdoch to Yahoo: I'm Just Not Into You
At the Bear Sterns conference in Palm Springs, Florida, this morning, News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch said that News Corp will not be bidding on Yahoo. While admitting that it would be fun to beat Microsoft, Murdoch affirmed his loyalty to Google.
- Online Reputation Management Crisis? Preparation Is the Key
In many cases, a reputation management campaign can take months to complete. Addressing underlying issues and replacing negative content with more favorable pages takes time. But by being prepared ahead of time for a reputation management crisis, you can cut down that time considerably, and get more immediate results.
- SEW Experts: Don't Get Stung By Compliance Issues
Internal and external oversight is essential for quality control of large Web sites, but can make things complicated for SEO plans.
- SEW Experts: Creating Synergy in Your SEO Efforts
There's not one single thing that can make your Web page show up in the top of the search results. But there are several little things that can.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Search and the Transparent Revolution, ClickZ Experts
- Omniture Summit: Trends in Analytics, ClickZ Experts
- Barry Diller To IAC Troops On Eve Of Court Fight With Liberty Media, paidContent
- Mike Grehan Joins Acronym Media as Global KDM Officer, Search Marketing Gurus
- Mistaken Identity - A Reputation Management Problem, Endless Plain
- Dr. Phil Would Tell You That Stubbornness Won't Get You Higher Rankings, SEO Chicks
- Political Online Conferences Do Not Embrace Traditional Search Marketing, SEM Geek
- Latest Interview: Tim Ash, Ramblings About SEO
- Search Biz: Google Stock Hits New Low; News Corp Says No On Yahoo, Search Engine Land
- The “Nuclear Disaster” At SXSW Was Nothing More Than A Witch Burning, TechCrunch
Twitter Canada MD Kirstine Stewart to Keynote Toronto
ClickZ Live Toronto (May 14-16) is a new event addressing the rapidly changing landscape that digital marketers face. The agenda focuses on customer engagement and attaining maximum ROI through online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Register now and save!