Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Stupid SEO Spammers
Lesson #1: Don't spam people with your SEO services. Lesson #2: Definitely don't spam people who write for SEW and have close relations with spam blacklist owners about your SEO services.
- Lifetips Escalator Pitch, SES NY 2008
Byron White, the president and founder of LifeTips, helped us launch a new feature at SES NY 2008: The Escalator Pitch.
- Matt McGowan in Times Square, Day 1 SES NY 2008
John Connor Mulligan of SEO-PR interviewed Matt McGowan, the Global Vice President of Marketing at Incisive Media, on the first day of SES NY 2008
- Google News Unveils Two Updates to Comments Feature
Google has just made SEO-PR (that's Public Relations, not PageRank) harder and easier at the same time!
- New Google Mobile Search Feature Gives Your Thumbs a Rest
Do you dream of searching Google for local information with your mobile phone without having to use your thumbs? Soon, you may be in luck.
- Yahoo Cloud Computing with 4th Largest Supercomputer in World
Yahoo announced an agreement today with Computational Research Laboratories (CRL) to support cloud computing research.
- Is Twitter the New Google Alternative?
When searchers can't find something on Google, they might turn to another search engine like Yahoo, Windows Live or Ask. Or they might turn to one of the growing answers sites. But lately, more and more people are turning to Twitter. Yes, Twitter.
- Google's Demo Targeting: No Panacea
Last week, Google announced its full demo targeting offering. On the surface, it's worth a try by advertisers who want to reach or exclude, say, 18-24 year-olds. It's not a targeting panacea.
- SEW Experts: Non-Text Contextual Ads: Quality Score and Bidding Strategy
Running banner ad campaigns on Google's content networks requires different thinking than text ad campaigns -- thinking that's surprisingly counter-intuitive. There's no way for a content-matching algorithm to judge the relevancy of an ad group to a landing page, when there's no text in the ad copy.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Adversarial Information Retrieval -- That's Spam to You and Me, ClickZ Experts
- The Mobile Phone as a Marketing Platform, ClickZ Experts
- SEO + Semantic Web = SEO++, Chief Marketing Technologist
- Online Marketers: Stop Funding Virtual Blight, Search Engine Land
- Is Microhoo A Done Deal?, Search Engine Land
- New Guidelines for Questionable Products, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- The Quality Impact, Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- SEO Opinions, SEO Facts, and SEO Wisdom, John Andrews
- Questions for Lynda Clarizio, President of AOL's Platform A, ClickZ
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.