Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Will We Pay More For Google's Fewer Clicks
The drop in AdWords clicks over the past two months has created a bump Google's ongoing success. But not to worry, CEO Eric Schmidt told Business Week, people will eventually pay more for the better quality clicks.
- Standards Is A Dirty Word For Search Marketers
For the past two weeks our industry has been debating the need for standards, many of the regular blogs have weighed in as have most of the major players in our space.
- Google + DoubleClick = 69% of Online Advertising Market
When Google raised concerns over a possible Microsoft-Yahoo merger, it may have just been the pot calling the kettle black. According to new stats released by Attributor, Google's acquisition of DoubleClick gives them a whopping 69% of the online advertising market share.
- Even for Google, Conversions Matter More Than Clicks
Wall Street is acting with caution when it comes to Google based on months of reporting that the search engine giant's paid search clicks are declining. But Google insists that the click reductions are due to improvement in the quality of the ads, not because Google is somehow losing its luster.
- Geary Interactive Acquires Fathom Online
Full-service digital marketing agency Geary Interactive has acquired Fathom Online, a search engine marketing firm.
- Yahoo Wants Women Now
Yahoo just announced Shine, and is hopping on the bandwagon that says women are a great target. Why now?
- SEW Experts: Content Ad Campaign Keyword Strategy Revisited
The keywords you choose for a content ad campaign should play a different role than they do for search ads. That's a point that's often tough for search advertisers to grasp.
- Constructive feedback on online reputation management
companies probably do not need 'War Rooms' today and instead incorporate reputation monitoring as a regular course of business.
- China Antimonopoly Law Could Derail Microsoft/Yahoo Deal, Google
The Chinese government is activating legislation that may give problems to the possible Microsoft Yahoo purchase.
- Is Google's Price Drop A Reflection Of Recent Media Coverage
The value of Google's stock has taken a bit of a beating recently from their high of $747 last year to yesterday's close at $438. Is pervasive critiquing of Google having an impact of investors' confidence?
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Search Engine Results, Blogs, and Credibility, ClickZ Experts
- Survey: Consumers Familiar with Behavioral Targeting, Don't Love It, ClickZ News
- Boston.com Drops Axciom for Local Search, Signs with Google, ClickZ News
- FriendFeed, The Centralized Me, and Data Portability, TechCrunch
- Update on PR Sculpting Question from Google Webmaster Help Groups Call and Matt Cutts, Jaan Kanellis
- Public perception, don't leave home without it., Metamend
- Blog Marketing Tips Even the Professional Bloggers Won't Share - Tip #1, Marketing Pilgrim
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates extended through Sept 19. Register today!