Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google Updates Trademark Rules for UK/Ireland AdWords
Beginning on May 5, 2008, the AdWords trademark policy for the UK and Ireland will change. The new policy will be aligned with the current one established in the United States and Canada.
- Optimization Tips for PDFs: Great Advice for B2B Search Marketers
PDFs are particularly significant in B2B marketing, which makes optimizing them for the web is an important piece of SEO strategy in that sector. Thankfully, Galen de Young of Francis Marketing has a new post on optimizing PDFs on their B2B marketing blog.
- Google Opens Up About Spectrum Auction
The gag order on details surrounding the recent FCC spectrum auction has been lifted, and Google is revealing some behind-the-scenes information about their participation in the bidding.
- Microhoo's Second Date Doesn't Go Very Well
Executives from Microsoft and Yahoo reportedly met this week, but both sides came to the much anticipated second date with stubborn stances.
- SEW Experts: SEO Standards Signal the Maturing of Our Industry
Call them standards, rules, advice, best practices, or whatever you want, but they're a necessary step in the evolution of the search industry.
- SEW Experts: Recruiting the Right People for Your SEM Business
If you've been a one-man operation until now, hiring your first employee is a major milestone. However, making the wrong choice can seriously impact your business.
- SEW Experts: Leveraging Traditional Media Placements in an Online World
Online media and Internet-based search continue to grow at the expense of their offline counterparts, newspapers and magazines. Because media placement options are continuously growing, smart local marketers need to leverage this major transformation of how people consume media in some creative ways.
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
- Is Organic Search Enough?, ClickZ Experts
- SES Toronto Speaker Info - Reminder, Traffick
- Human Hardware: Dunbar's Number, Search Engine Land
- New Middle-of-page Google Onebox Type?, Google Blogoscoped
- Are You Giving Users Features They Don't Want?, Bruce Clay Blog
- Risky Advice on Evading Adwords Display URL Rules, SEO Fast Start
- 7 Questions to Ask When Planning a Website Redesign, SEO Space
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!