Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- Google CEO to MicroHoo: We'll Bank on Frank
Google CEO Eric Schmidt has reportedly named legendary Bubble 1.0 i-banker Frank Quattrone as an adviser to help reverse engineer the Yahoo-AOL and MSN- MySpace entanglements.
- Video Search Is a False Messiah
Video search is not about words, optimization or getting into the traditional web search engines. Instead, he says we must look to video consumers and more collaborative approaches.
- Digging deeper into the social press release
A fair portrait of the social press release -- warts and all.
- Majority of U.S. Adults Uncomfortable About Search Engine Data Collection
A majority of U.S. adults are uncomfortable about search engine data collection practices.
- eMarketer Releases Mobile and Online Advertising Projections
This year, US mobile ad spending is expected to reach $1.7 billion, up from $878 million last year. Meanwhile, online spending is expected to continue growing, but the rate at which the growth will occur will decline, at least for a few years.
- IAC to Launch a Flurry of Niche Sites
IAC, parent company of Ask.com, is planning to launch several new niche sites that incorporate search and social media. First up is RushmoreDrive.com, which has already launched and is targeted at the African-American community.
- Microsoft to Fight Search Spam by Analyzing Email
Microsoft was awarded a patent it applied for nearly 4 years ago, to fight search spam based on external elements, like "electronic documents," or email.
- SEW Experts: Link Building Strategies: Apprentice Edition
Great content is only half the battle. Don't forget the other half: getting the word out about your great content.
- SEW Experts: Bringing the SEO Teacher to You
Besides SEO books, online training, and in-person training, there's another option for teaching your staff about SEO: bring a consultant to you.
- Is Social Going Mobile?, ClickZ Experts
- Five Fundamentals of Integrated Marketing, ClickZ Experts
- Ex-Yahoo Exec Banks on Small Site Ad Platform Trend, ClickZ News
- Predictive Advertising Targets Consumers on Purchase Data, ClickZ News
- Blended Search: A Year Later, Search Engine Land
- The Open Way Yahoo Could Do a Search Deal With Google, NY Times Bits
- Start making sense: The semantic Web, The Economist
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.