Want a snapshot of the day's search marketing news? Here we've collected today's top news stories posted to the Search Engine Watch Blog, along with search-related headlines from around the Web:
From the SEW Blog:
- We May Not Want Standards But FTC May Give Us Some
The standards debate may be in full swing in our industry - but the decisions may be soon taken out of our hands if the FTC continues to define allowable advertising practices.
- Yahoo Execs Bad Mouthing AOL!
Guess Yahoo does not want to partner with anyone these days... well apart from their biggest competitor Google.
- AdWords Launches New Conversion Tracking Tool
A new update to AdWords tracking has been reported by the guys over at AccuraCast. Seems they have improved the conversion tracking allowing users to separate different things to track to conversion.
- As Wifi expands, local and mobile search continue to emerge
Lately, there have been a swarm of announcements regarding Wifi coming to some previously unconnected spots. So what does this mean for Search Engine Marketers?
- Microsoft Updates Live Maps and Virtual Earth 3D
Microsoft has announced 11 major updates to their Live Maps and Virtual Earth 3D.
- Trellian Acquires Addme.com
Trellian, the company behind SEO Toolkit and Keyword Discovery, has announced its acquisition of SEO tools provider Addme.com.
- SEW Experts: Standards? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Standards!
We don't need SEO standards to define our operation for us; we simply need to hold ourselves to a higher standard of business.
- SEW Experts: SEM Tools of the Experts
There are a variety of SEM tools available to search marketers. You should be able to find something to fit every need, and every style.
- SEW Experts: Think Universal, Act Local
Much of the discussion around Universal search, or blended search, focuses on video and images. But local search may be a more important factor; one that has the greatest impact in blended search results.
- Branding as a Direct Response PPC Search Byproduct, ClickZ Experts
- Marketing to the Media, ClickZ Experts
- The Creation of Draft SEM Standards, Ian McAnerin
- How Web Application Developers Can Ensure Their Sites Are Findable in Search Engines (SEO for Webdevs), Vanessa Fox
- Is Yahoo the Odd Man Out?, NY Times Bits
- 38 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started In Marketing, Conversation Marketing
- Sixty Cent Branding: How One Minute of Effort Sparked This Post, Search Engine Guide
- How To Excite People About Web Analytics: Five Tips., Occam's Razor
- The 5 Biggest Mistakes I Made In My First Year Blogging, Court's Internet Marketing School
- Spite is Not a Marketing Strategy, Search Engine Guide
- SEM Job Criteria of the Not So Distant Future, SEMpdx
- Powerset: Don't call us a search engine, VentureBeat
Headlines & News from Elsewhere:
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!