A year after launching a comprehensive search offering, CNN.com beat out Google when it comes to searching for news, according to a survey conducted by ROI Research for DoubleClick. 57% of the 500 participants surveyed said they search CNN.com for news while 53% say they search Google. Here are the top ten sites, with the percentage of participants who use them for news search:
- CNN - 57%
- Google - 53%
- MSNBC - 41%
- Yahoo - 40%
- MSN.com - 31%
- Foxnews.com - 25%
- YouTube - 22%
- Google News - 18%
- Aol.com - 15%
- Google Video - 14%
And just how successful are those searches?
- One-third of respondents find a relevant news video for their specific query on their first search Almost/Every time.
- One-third of respondents find the most up-to-date news video for their specific query on their first search Almost/Every time.
When video pops up in a search result for a news story...
- 36% of respondents are Very Likely to click on a video that is listed on a search engine results page while searching for a news story.
- 35% of respondents are Very Likely to watch a news video that is embedded in a news article that they are reading.
Would participants like to see more or less video in their news search?
- 33% agree or strongly agree that they would like to see more video in search results
- 47% are neutral
- 20% disagree or strongly disagree
How much online video news are participants consuming?
- 51% watch 1 hour or less per week
- 49% watch 1 hour or more per week
When it comes to local news, 79% of respondents use Search. Here's how they query:
- 42% use a local news station name in their search query
- 31% use a city name in a query
- 17% use a zip code
- 12% don't search any differently
- 21% don't use search to find local news
If you liked these numbers, then check out the following:
PR News survey finds online video is underutilized
AP, Microsoft Joint Venture Video Platform
Know your Ambiguous Customer: Effective Multi-Channel Tracking
Wednesday, June 5 at 1pm ET - Learn why a move from the "batch and blast" email approach enables better conversations with your customers.
Register today - don't miss this free webinar!