A year after launching a comprehensive search offering, CNN.com beat out Google when it comes to searching for news, according to a survey conducted by ROI Research for DoubleClick. 57% of the 500 participants surveyed said they search CNN.com for news while 53% say they search Google. Here are the top ten sites, with the percentage of participants who use them for news search:
- CNN - 57%
- Google - 53%
- MSNBC - 41%
- Yahoo - 40%
- MSN.com - 31%
- Foxnews.com - 25%
- YouTube - 22%
- Google News - 18%
- Aol.com - 15%
- Google Video - 14%
And just how successful are those searches?
- One-third of respondents find a relevant news video for their specific query on their first search Almost/Every time.
- One-third of respondents find the most up-to-date news video for their specific query on their first search Almost/Every time.
When video pops up in a search result for a news story...
- 36% of respondents are Very Likely to click on a video that is listed on a search engine results page while searching for a news story.
- 35% of respondents are Very Likely to watch a news video that is embedded in a news article that they are reading.
Would participants like to see more or less video in their news search?
- 33% agree or strongly agree that they would like to see more video in search results
- 47% are neutral
- 20% disagree or strongly disagree
How much online video news are participants consuming?
- 51% watch 1 hour or less per week
- 49% watch 1 hour or more per week
When it comes to local news, 79% of respondents use Search. Here's how they query:
- 42% use a local news station name in their search query
- 31% use a city name in a query
- 17% use a zip code
- 12% don't search any differently
- 21% don't use search to find local news
If you liked these numbers, then check out the following:
PR News survey finds online video is underutilized
AP, Microsoft Joint Venture Video Platform
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.