If you have or work for a large site, search engine optimization can be quite the undertaking. Jeremiah Andrick over at the Live Search Webmaster blog is offering tips for optimizing for their particular engine.
Of course, he has an interesting case to work with: Microsoft.com.
The first tip he offered up was canonicalization, also known as normalization. This is the concept of only exposing URL per piece of content to the engines.
Next, Live Search addressed some of the optimization problems that can occur due having multiple URLs due to tracking, co-branding, etc.:
- Add or remove the trailing /
- http://www.mysite.com/ to http://www.mysite.com
- Remove the index or default
- http://www.mysite.com/default.aspx to http://www.mysite.com
- http://www.mysite.com/en/us/default.aspx to http://www.mysite.com/en/us
- Avoid CamelCase — convert your text to lower case
- http://www.mysite.com/FooBar/ to http://www.mysite.com/foobar
- Remove query string variables or rewrite to readable URLs
- http://www.mysite.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99&displaylang=en to http://www.mysite.com/downloads/en/family/ab99
- Remove Port Numbers
- http://www.mysite.com:8080/ to http://www.mysite.com
- Avoid exposing secure HTTPS version
- https://www.mysite.com/en/us/ to http://www.mysite.com/en/us
Andrick also recommends 301 redirects, using a consistent linking convention, avoiding linking to multiple versions of a page, and using absolute links. To read all of Andricks' recommendations, click here.
Also, be sure to check out the following posts on large site search engine optimization from Search Engine Watch and sister site ClickZ:
Large Sites, Small Headaches
Link Building for Large Corporate Sites
The Value of Big Sites
Large Enterprise SEO: Content Development
Large Enterprise SEO: CMS Duplicate Content
Three SEM Tips for Big Media Sites
Recruiting SEO Talent for Big Sites
Big Brands Equal Big SEO Opportunities
Last Week to Save on SES London Tickets!
Learn to engage customers and increase ROI by distributing your online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Join the leaders of today's digital marketing & advertising industry at SES London. Find out more ››
*Saver Rates expire this Friday, Dec 13.