Cisco has released the results from its Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast for 2008-2013. It projects mobile traffic to grow 131% by 2013.
Most of that traffic will be for video. By 2013, 64% of mobile traffic will be video. Mobile video will grow 150% between 2008 and 2013.
More data from the forecast:
- Mobile broadband handsets with higher than 3G speeds and laptop air or data cards will constitute more than 80 percent of global mobile traffic by 2013.
- Latin America will have the strongest mobile growth at 166 percent CAGR, followed by the Asia-Pacific region at 146 percent.
- Asia-Pacific will account for one-third of all mobile data traffic by 2013.
- Global mobile traffic will exceed two exabytes per month by 2013.
- Global mobile data traffic reached one exabyte per month in half the time that fixed data traffic did.
"More personalized services and applications are becoming available on a wide range of devices. The key to success will be delivering video-rich any-play services to users, enabling them to move freely throughout the world while maintaining connectivity to others," said Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president, service provider routing technology group, Cisco. "As a result, service providers will have to take into account the need not only for more bandwidth when planning their network architecture but for greater network intelligence as well."
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.