Online news publishers will want to take note of eight tips that Google News is offering to help them better index your site. Here they are:
- Keep the article body clean - keeping the content close to the title in the html and not breaking it up with a bunch of tags and other code will make it more likely that the correct content gets indexed
- Make sure article URLs are permanent and unique
- Take advantage of stock tickers in Sitemaps
- Check your encoding - make sure it's consistent and uniform
- Make your article publication dates explicit
- Keep original content separate from press releases
- Format your images properly - use large images (JPEGs are crawled better) with "reasonable" aspect rations as well as descriptive captions.
- Article Titles in Google News - be sure to have the title in both the title tag and as the headline of the page
What do you think of these tips? Let us know in the comments.
Upcoming Webinar: PPC Pause and Reflections for 2013
Thursday, December 12 - 2013 was a major turning point in search advertising. With Google's Enhanced Campaigns and Bing's innovative Smart Search capabilities in Windows 8.1, now is a great time to pause, reflect, and plan for the new year. Webinar attendance is free. Sign up today!