Online news publishers will want to take note of eight tips that Google News is offering to help them better index your site. Here they are:
- Keep the article body clean - keeping the content close to the title in the html and not breaking it up with a bunch of tags and other code will make it more likely that the correct content gets indexed
- Make sure article URLs are permanent and unique
- Take advantage of stock tickers in Sitemaps
- Check your encoding - make sure it's consistent and uniform
- Make your article publication dates explicit
- Keep original content separate from press releases
- Format your images properly - use large images (JPEGs are crawled better) with "reasonable" aspect rations as well as descriptive captions.
- Article Titles in Google News - be sure to have the title in both the title tag and as the headline of the page
What do you think of these tips? Let us know in the comments.
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!