In the "Social Media: Do Big Companies Get It?" panel at SES Toronto, it turned out that the three presenters each offered a checklist of sorts. Though they shared more insight than just this, it's a handy way to sum up some of the knowledge they shared.
First, we have 5 Myths of Social Media, from Mark Evans:
- Social media is free -- not when you count your time, money, and resources.
- Social media is easy -- it's not.
- Social media is about the tools -- but tools are worthless without a clear goal of what you want them to do.
- Social media is a standalone activity -- it's not an add-on, it needs to be built in from the beginning.
- Measuring ROI is difficult -- but there are lots of tools to track, monitor, and measure activity.
Then, we have 7 Mistakes of Social Media, from Krista Neher:
- Focusing on the Numbers -- instead of building an audience of people who care about what you're doing.
- Hijacking the conversation -- instead of joining it.
- Spamming -- instead of respecting the conversation.
- Being irrelevant -- instead of joining conversations where you fit in.
- Being boring -- instead of giving people something that interests them, not just yourself.
- Not being committed -- instead of being there to respond when people have questions/concerns.
- Not playing nice -- instead of being kind and respectful to everyone.
Finally, there's 5 Ways to Impact Your Ranking on Social News Sites from Guillaume Bouchard:
- Content -- "To make a long story short, you have to make a long story short."
- Platform -- "Digg is allergic to commercial sites."
- Submitter -- more important in Digg than StumbleUpon.
- Category -- The category you choose to write in will affect the level of competition you face.
- Solicitation -- The number of votes doesn't affect Digg's algorithm as much as StumbleUpon's
What's New for 2015?
You spoke, we listened! ClickZ Live New York (Mar 30-Apr 1) is back with a brand new streamlined agenda. Don't miss the latest digital marketing tips, tricks and tools that will make you re-think your strategy and revolutionize your marketing campaigns. Super Saver Rates are available now. Register today!