In the "Social Media: Do Big Companies Get It?" panel at SES Toronto, it turned out that the three presenters each offered a checklist of sorts. Though they shared more insight than just this, it's a handy way to sum up some of the knowledge they shared.
First, we have 5 Myths of Social Media, from Mark Evans:
- Social media is free -- not when you count your time, money, and resources.
- Social media is easy -- it's not.
- Social media is about the tools -- but tools are worthless without a clear goal of what you want them to do.
- Social media is a standalone activity -- it's not an add-on, it needs to be built in from the beginning.
- Measuring ROI is difficult -- but there are lots of tools to track, monitor, and measure activity.
Then, we have 7 Mistakes of Social Media, from Krista Neher:
- Focusing on the Numbers -- instead of building an audience of people who care about what you're doing.
- Hijacking the conversation -- instead of joining it.
- Spamming -- instead of respecting the conversation.
- Being irrelevant -- instead of joining conversations where you fit in.
- Being boring -- instead of giving people something that interests them, not just yourself.
- Not being committed -- instead of being there to respond when people have questions/concerns.
- Not playing nice -- instead of being kind and respectful to everyone.
Finally, there's 5 Ways to Impact Your Ranking on Social News Sites from Guillaume Bouchard:
- Content -- "To make a long story short, you have to make a long story short."
- Platform -- "Digg is allergic to commercial sites."
- Submitter -- more important in Digg than StumbleUpon.
- Category -- The category you choose to write in will affect the level of competition you face.
- Solicitation -- The number of votes doesn't affect Digg's algorithm as much as StumbleUpon's
Last Week to Save on SES London Tickets!
Learn to engage customers and increase ROI by distributing your online marketing efforts across paid, owned & earned media. Join the leaders of today's digital marketing & advertising industry at SES London. Find out more ››
*Saver Rates expire this Friday, Dec 13.