Today, Satya Nadella Senior Vice President, Online Services at Microsoft unveiled new Bing features at an event in San Francisco. The updates involve Bing Maps, the Bing Mobile App and a new Bing Toolbar. There was also
- Streetside imaging - yes, that's Microsoft's version of Google's Street View. It's smart for Bing to compete with the Google monster on this one.
- Twitter integration - see real-time updates based on location
- Local Lens - indexes local blogs and tries to associate them with a physical location
- What's Nearby - find what's near a location. Staying at a hotel? Find the nearest pizza.
- Photosynths - integrating the photo technology into maps. Try "metropolitan museum of art in New York City" for an example.
Microsoft has made the Bing Mobile app available for Windows Mobile. It was released for BlackBerry Storm last month.
The app includes voice search, maps, and quick answers. Windows Mobile users can browse to m.bing.com to download the app.
When Bing launched, the MSN toolbar integrated Bing branding into their toolbar. Now, there's a new Bing Toolbar called the "Bing Bar." Sounds like a candybar, I know. But Nadella characterized the new "Bing Bar" as a "virtual assistant." It's available for IE and Firefox, and here's what it provides:
- Cashback detector - alerts you to Cashback deals while you shop
- Browse Plus - puts Bing to work, finding content, breaking news, sports scores, stock alerts, etc. while you browse.
- Search Assist - query suggestion feature
Social Network Visual Search Experience
Coming soon, Bing will integrate Twitter and Facebook feeds into Bing's Visual Search experience. Bing says this will enable user to more quickly find status updates, upcoming birthdays, etc.
A social network Visual Search experience -- by integrating Facebook and Twitter feeds, Bing Visual Search allows you to quickly find your status updates of your friends and followers, sort by upcoming birthdays and more. Coming soon at http://www.bing.com/visualsearch.
Bing also released data on the most popular decisions being made on their decision engine. Check out this chart:
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!