Okay, so I'm a PC guy, not a Mac guy. But I've just seen a study from Experian Simmons that answers the question: Which markets are the biggest users of Apple products?
Image via Wikipedia
Hey, if it matters whether you drink cola, pop, soda, or tonic, then it matters where the Apple products are concentrated. Who knows, I might be getting a iPad in the near future.
At the top of the list is the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, California DMA where fully 32.3 percent adult residents own or use at least one of the three core Apple products. No surprise there. In fact, four out of the top 10 Apple markets are in California.
Nationwide, 21.6 percent of adults own or use an iPod, iPhone or Mac computer. I'm sure you know one -- are are one yourself.
Here's what Experian Simmons has to say about the top 10 markets:
- San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA: With Silicon Valley and Apple headquarters located squarely within the market's boundaries, it's no surprise that the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose DMA ranks number one in the nation for owning or using one of the core Apple products. Residents here are 49 percent more likely than the average American to own or use an iPod, iPhone or Mac computer.
- Boston, MA: Almost one-in-three adults in the Boston DMA (31.3 percdent) own or use an iPod, iPhone or Mac computer making area residents 45 percent more likely than average to be Mac maniacs. And with 11 Apple stores located within the Boston DMA, residents never have to go far for their Apple fix.
- San Diego, CA: San Diego-area residents are 42 percent more likely than the average American to be toting around an iPod, chatting on an iPhone or computing on a Mac. In fact, 31.8 percent of the San Diego DMA's 2.2 million adults are admitted Mac users.
- New York, NY: Anyone can tell you that iPhones are about as common in New York City as taxis, which supports the fact that there are roughly 4.9 million Mac-users in the New York DMA. Of the almost 16 million adults in the area, 30.4 percent use either an iPod, iPhone or Mac computer.
- Washington, D.C.: Residents of our nation's capitol can agree on at least one thing: their love for Apple. D.C.-area residents are 39 percent more likely than average to be found listening to an iPod, chatting on an iPhone or tapping away on a Mac computer.
- Chicago, IL: The Chicago-area's eight Apple stores should keep plenty busy serving the DMA's 2.1 million adults who currently use one of the three core Apple products. An estimated 29.4 percent of adults in the Chicago DMA use iPods, iPhones or Mac computers, making them 36 percent more likely than average Americans to be Apple consumers.
- Denver, CO: An estimated 863,000 adults of the Denver DMA's 3 million adult residents (29.1 percent) are Apple users, making Mile High City and surrounding area residents 35 percent more likely than average to use Apple's iPods, iPhones and computers.
- Monterey-Salinas, CA: This upscale, coastal DMA located immediately south of the San Francisco DMA is home to barely a half million adults and only one (busy) Apple store. An estimated 151,000 adults in the area (28.1 percent) own or use iPods, iPhones and/or Mac computers. In fact, Monterey-Salinas residents rank 30% above average for being Apple users.
- Santa Barbara-Santa Marina-San Luis Obispo, CA: Aside from breathtaking views and sun-drenched beaches, the Santa Barbara DMA is home to 141,000 Apple users, 27.9 percent of area adults. Residents can take their pick of two Apple stores--one in Santa Barbara and another in San Luis Obispo--to fill all their Apple needs.
- Las Vegas, NV: Sin City-area residents are also 29 percent more likely than average to be users of Apple products. Approximately 408,000 of the DMA's 1.5 million adults (27.9 percent) use either an iPod, iPhone or Mac, or all three.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!