AdGooroo and Experian Hitwise have just issued a report on "Successful Paid Search Tactics The Top CPG Brands Use To Grow Market Share And Build Loyalty." The study explores how top consumer packaged goods (CPG) brands manage their paid search programs from the perspectives of keyword selection, coverage management and other important campaign management factors.
Some key findings of the study include:
- The Top Ten CPG Websites receive 25 percent of their traffic from search engines, more than any other source
- Most Top Ten CPG Websites receive more than 80 percent of their search traffic from organic search or search engine optimization (SEO), not paid search
- Eight of the Top Ten CPG Web sites maintain at least 50 percent coverage on Google for their paid search keywords
- All Top Ten CPG Websites maintain an average position of three or better on Google
- Virtually all CPG brands struggle to grow scalable paid search campaigns and capture more share than competitors; budgeting is not their primary challenge
"Brand marketers that want to own conversations on the search engines are thinking about paid search, natural search, multimedia content and other concerns, and in paid search, advertisers absolutely need to consider both pre-click and post click data," said AdGooroo Founder and CEO Rich Stokes. "This study is the first of its kind. It examines impressions, coverage, share of advertising and other pre-click data, as well as post-click or downstream data which highlights actual traffic originating from the engines. No other study to date has tackled such a tall order."
"Nearly every CPG brand studied is leaving a sizable amount of paid search traffic on the table," said Heather Dougherty, Director of Research for Hitwise. "Most performed well in at least one paid search tactic, but the best CPG search marketers do well in multiple areas, such as keyword selection, coverage management, campaign structure and landing page design.
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!