Your Twitter Direct Messages (DMs) are not private. It's quite easy to use the Twitter API to access your personal information and obtain all the DMs inside your Twitter inbox. When you allow access to log-in to some website or application, you're also agreeing to let the developer who created this log-in access all your direct messages, and opening yourself to potential abuse.
Gary-Adam Shannon explains how this is possible in "Twitter Exploit Warning: How Anyone Can Easily Snatch Your Direct Messages." Kristine Schachinger also provides more coverage in "Twitter: Take Better Care of Our Private Information!"
Here's a roundup of this week's other columns and news stories for the week of Oct. 4 to 8, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
The Challenges of Measuring SEO Success, Part 3 by Ray "Catfish" Comstock
A deep dive into how businesses should use Webmaster tools search rankings, brand vs. non-brand traffic, and long tail keyword performance to gain actionable strategic insights that drive SEO beyond just understanding performance.
The 10 Step Site Migration Process by Simon Heseltine
Don't lose rankings and traffic levels when a website moves or shuts down. Here's how SEO teams should handle sites that are closing down permanently, moving to a new domain, or merging with another site.
Geo-Targeting Redirects: Cloaking or Better User Experience? by Frank Watson
Seems like Google still hasn't realized that some user experiences can be improved by particular redirects.
Why You Should Prevent Certain Pages From Being Indexed by Mathieu Burgerhout
All pages are not created equal. Having fewer "unimportant" pages of your site indexed will put more emphasis on your "money" pages.
- R.I.P Google Keyword Tool. Long Live SEO! - aimClear
- How to Diagnose and Improve Website Crawling - Michael Gray
- Battling copywriting rigor mortis - Conversation Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization Tip: Expand On Your Best Website Content - Bill Hartzer
- Google Patent on URL Compression and the Mobile Web - SEO by the Sea
- 6 Technical SEO Strategy Tips for Better Traffic and Rankings [Site Architecture] - SEOmoz
- Reputation Management SEO: 6 Advanced Tactics - SEOmoz
- The New Google Keyword Tool is Terrible - Blogstorm
- Why does Google give SEO advice? - YouTube
How to Transition your Yahoo PPC Account to MSN adCenter by Greg Habermann
Starting Monday, Microsoft adCenter will begin powering Yahoo's search ads in the U.S. and Canada. Here's a simple walk-through guide for PPC advertisers transitioning from Yahoo Search Marketing to adCenter.
Remarketing Non-Traditionally by Dan Yomtobian
These ideas may appear to be slightly off the beaten path, but they are innovative and successful ways to utilize remarketing technology to seriously increase your company's ROI.
Flu Search Query Trends in Google -- Paid Search Opportunity? by Matthew Ncube
Google is trying to get ready for the upcoming flu season, and in the process, it seems they've created a market for paid search traffic in the SERPs.
- Microsoft Makes Headway in Ad Exchange Melee - ClickZ
- Google AdSense Publisher Complaining About Recent Earnings & Reporting - Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo to Buy Dapper, Dynamic Display Ad Platform - ClickZ
- Two Simple Tests to Try With Google AdWords Campaign Experiments - ClickZ
- How to Troubleshoot Conversion Tracking Issues - PPC Hero
- Using AdWords to Test Key Phrase Overall Traffic - Search Engine Journal
- New Features in Search Funnels - Inside AdWords
- 'Tis the season for placement targeting - Inside AdSense
- Announcing beta test of expanded category blocking - Inside AdSense
- Holiday Preparation Series: Retail PPC Insights and Optimization Tips (U.S. Market) - adCenter Blog
- Feature Comparison Series: Keyword Normalization & Microsoft Advertising Intelligence - adCenter Blog
- Important Steps to Take before Ad Serving Transitions to adCenter - Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
- YSM/adCenter Feature Comparison #3: Keyword Normalization - Yahoo Search Marketing Blog
Analytics & ROI
- Stay Alert with Google Analytics - BlueGlass
- (Almost) Automatically Reveal A Site's Directory Structure Using Excel - Search Engine People
- 3 Form Fields That Kill Landing Page Conversion Rates - HubSpot Blog
- 10 Opportunities You're Missing on Thank You Pages - HubSpot Blog
- Back To Basics: Part 3 - The Power of Exclusion - Google Analytics Blog
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook Groups - A Walkthrough of Group Email, Docs, Chat, and More - Inside Facebook
- Facebook Users Can Ask for Their Profile Data - ClickZ
- Facebook Ad Algorithm Cracked: The Secrets Behind Successful Facebook Advertisers - All Facebook
- Facebook Granted Broad Patent Covering Location-Based Social Networks And Checkins - TechCrunch
- 7 Tips to Mastering Facebook Advertising - Social Media Examiner
- Facebook Page Insights Reports Changes: Date Ranges, Daily Stream Impressions - Inside Facebook
- Twitter's New Search Architecture - Twitter Engineering Blog
- Twitter Promotes Dick Costolo to CEO - ClickZ
- Twitter is not for sale says new CEO Dick Costolo - Telegraph
- Forrester Reports on Cutting Through the Social Media Clutter - Marketing Pilgrim
- 5 Social Media SEO & Analytics Tools Worth Checking Out - TopRank Online Marketing Blog
8 Flawed Link Building Strategies by Eric Enge
While there are a few relatively low effort/cost link building strategies, such as directories and reciprocal links, these have limited value. Here's how you can get in trouble when trying to acquire low quality links.
Safeguarding Your PC When Link Building by Kristi Hines
Here's what you can do to protect your computer while checking out your competitors' backlinks and avoid losing valuable productivity time if your machine gets infected with malware.
Local & Mobile Search
Local Search: Putting Power in the Hands of the Consumer by Jeff Beard
As local search continues to eat into traditional marketing channels, businesses must create accurate and detailed local business identities on local search platforms, social networks and mobile apps.
- Google Asks Court to Dismiss Oracle's Android Lawsuit - PCWorld
- Android Most Popular Operating System in U.S. Among Recent Smartphone Buyers - Nielsen Wire
- Google Places Reviews Being Lost - Houston We have a Problem! - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google Places Gets Down and Very Dirty - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google, PayPal Set on Android Deal - TheStreet
- Google To License Street View Imagery To Game Developers - Search Engine Land
- How to Rank in Google Real Estate Search - Distilled Blog
- Find information faster with mobile Ad Sitelinks - Google Mobile Ads Blog
- An easier way to use Google Latitude on your computer - Google LatLong
- Open your eyes: Google Goggles now available on iPhone in Google Mobile App - Google Mobile Blog
- Panoramio Stats: Where are my photos viewed? - Google LatLong
- Mobile Finance gets smarter, faster, better - Google Finance Blog
- Enabling The New Style In The Bing Maps Ajax Control - Bing Maps Blog
- Yahoo Brings No.1 Finance Site to Android - Yahoo Mobile Blog
- Foursquare Is Down... Yes, Again - Mashable
9 Reasons Why it Might Be Time For Marketers to Value Virtual Goods by Jonathan Allen
Convergence of web, mobile and TV may create stronger emotional connections between audiences.
SEM Agency Issues
Key Steps to Launching a Global Website by Andy Atkins-Krüger
Content delivery and development, keyword research, and localization -- here's a sampler of SES Chicago, where you'll learn best practices for overcoming these obstacles when rolling out an international website.
- More Google Properties Get Instant - Search Engine Roundtable
- Facebook Growing Fast in Brazil, but Orkut Still far Ahead - ReadWriteWeb
- More bodies (and other strange sights) on Brazil's Street View - CNET News
- How to Optimise Mobile Marketing in Your Media Plan - ClickZ.asia
- Holiday Preparation Series: Home and Garden PPC Insights and Optimization Tips (U.K. Market) - adCenter Blog
- Holiday Preparation Series: Health and Beauty PPC Insights and Optimization Tips (U.K. Market) - adCenter Blog
- Jon Myers appointed as Head of Account Management Yahoo UK & Ireland - State of Search
- Yahoo UK & Ireland Directory Closing November 8 - Search Engine Land
Google News: John Lennon Video Doodle; GOOG-411 Done; Privacy Complaint
By Danny Goodwin
Google's first animated video doodle pays tribute to legendary musician John Lennon...
Unemployment Still Painfully High, But One Sector Is Begging For Job Applicants! By Greg Jarboe
According to Scott R. Sargis, President of Strategic Search Corporation, "Today's unemployment rate remaining devastatingly high at 9.6% means 14,800,000 Americans still cannot find work! However, there is one industry that is pleading for candidates, SEM (Search Engine Marketing)!"...
Search Agency Update: Industry People & Talent Moves By Jonathan Allen
Lots of changes in management over the last week at some top companies.
Experian Hitwise Reports Google's Share of Searches was 72 Percent in September By Greg Jarboe
Experian Hitwise has just announced that Google accounted for 72.15 percent of all U.S. searches conducted in the four weeks ending Oct. 2, 2010. Bing powered search received 23.64 percent of searches.
GoogleTV: Browse the Whole Web (Just Not Hulu) By Danny Goodwin
Google TV's website boasts, "Browse the whole web. Not just some of it. All of it." Guess Hulu isn't part of the web anymore...
Google News & Twitter Integration: 'Friends' with Social Layer Benefits By Danny Goodwin
Google is testing out a new Google News feature involving Twitter. For the experiment, known simply as "Friends," Google has added a section on the right column to help Google users find news articles that friends have shared on Twitter...
Cebu Airlines YouTube Video Clips Generating Publicity By Greg Jarboe
According to Clarissa Batino and Cecilia Yap of Bloomberg, "Lady Gaga Flight-Dance Video Wins Publicity for Cebu Air IPO." This provides a whole new meaning to the term "going public." ...
Yahoo Unveils 5 New Search Features to Battle Google & Bing By Danny Goodwin
Yahoo says the goal of their "accordion" style results is to save people time finding what they're looking for, and does a good job of making better use of its Page 1 results, making certain info available for searchers without any need for scrolling...
Lee Odden of TopRank Online Marketing Launches Facebook Group, 'Marketers with Beards' By Greg Jarboe
He's done it again. Lee Odden, the CEO of TopRank Online Marketing, has just launched a new Facebook Group called "Marketers with Beards." And even people without facial hair are begging to become members...
Bing News: Firefox 4; CTR in Ranking Algorithm; Golden Sporks By Danny Goodwin
Bing will soon become the third general search engine option for all Firefox English language users, behind Google and Yahoo...
Ontolo Demos Link Building Tool with 12 New Videos By Danny Goodwin
Link building just got easier. That's what the crew at Ontolo is promising, as it gets closer to another round of signups for the Ontolo v2 Link Building Toolset on Oct. 12...
Google TV: SEOs, Meet Television By Danny Goodwin
More information has been coming out about Google's big attempt to combine search, cable, broadcast television, the Internet, DVR, music, and apps. Here's a quick overview of what we know about Google TV so far...
Google Testing Full-Page Preview in SERPs By Danny Goodwin
Google looks to be readying yet another change to its search results...
Jeff Hayzlett, Celebrity CMO and Best-Selling Author, Says 'Buzz is not sales!' By Greg Jarboe
In his book The Mirror Test: Is Your Business Really Breathing?, Jeff Hayzlett takes marketing "by the horns" and spells out how companies need to re-examine their traditional marketing methods...
Newsknife Now Rating Journalists Based on Appearances in Google News By Greg Jarboe
If you'd like to pitch your story to a journalist who writes more articles that appear in Google News than any other journalist, then you'll love the new Newsknife ratings...
comScore ARS Research Highlights Importance of Advertising Creative in Building Brand Sales By Greg Jarboe
comScore released findings from comScore ARS research indicating the importance of strong creative elements in TV and digital advertising campaigns...
AdGooroo and Experian Hitwise Report on Paid Search Secrets of Top CPG Marketers By Greg Jarboe
AdGooroo and Experian Hitwise have just issued a report on "Successful Paid Search Tactics The Top CPG Brands Use To Grow Market Share And Build Loyalty." ...
'Cebu Pacific FAs dancing' Now Has Over 6.5 Million Views By Greg Jarboe
Flight attendants for Cebu Pacific, a low-cost Philippine airline, danced away to Lady Gaga's hit "Just Dance" on a narrow A-320 passenger cabin aisle to keep passengers from snoozing through an in-flight safety demonstration...
No Yahoo Re-org This Week; 'Creepy' Google; Google Buys BlindType & More [Search News Roundup] By Danny Goodwin
Yahoo, which has been bleeding executives lately, won't announce a new organizational structure this week, and has lost two more execs...
Rahm Emanuel YouTube Video Announces "Tell It Like It Is" Tour By Greg Jarboe
The world's most popular online video community can act local as well as think global.
- Google seen reporting sharp profit, sales gains - MarketWatch
- Google Gets a Barely Passing Grade with the BBB - For the Want of a Nail... - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google Instant Won't Work Yet In IE9 Due To Trident 5 - Search Engine Roundtable
- Google's speed need: 'instantaneous Internet' - San Francisco Chronicle
- Shining a Spotlight on Video News - Google News Blog
- Next Yahoo Challenge: Earnings Triumph or Waterloo? - All Things Digital
- SMX East 2010: The Full Recap - Search Engine Land
Search Engine Strategies
Three Key Reasons to Go to SES Chicago 2010 By Greg Jarboe
Actually, there are more than three reasons to attend the leading search and social marketing event this year, but let's start with the top ones that were identified in a Tradeshow Week survey, "The Value of Attending Conventions & Tradeshows in a Recession."
- SEO Training Fun: Conferences Ahoy! - Bruce Clay
- SES Chicago 2010 advanced blog and video coverage! - SES Blog
- SES New York 2011 - Speaking Submissions Now Being Accepted - SES Blog
- SES Berlin 2010 - Speaking Submissions Now Being Accepted - SES Blog
- SES London 2011 - Speaking Submissions Now Being Accepted - SES Blog
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Early Bird rates available through Sept 12. Register today!