Here's a roundup of this week's columns and news stories for the week of Oct. 25 to 29, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
Hacking AdWords - Who Said Black Hat Was Just Organic? by Gary-Adam Shannon
Drugs. Viagra. Online casinos. Yes, even AdWords isn't impervious to black hat techniques.
- The Expertise of Google Custom Search Engines vs. the Wisdom of Crowds - SEO by the Sea
- Creating Head & Tail Content - Michael Gray
- Bing looks at phrases for ranking analysis - Search Engine Journal
- Complete Guide to Rel Canonical - How To and Why (Not) - SEOmoz
- How to Turn a Negative SEO Experience Into Success - Searh Engine Guide
- Low Cost SEO - SEO Book.com
- Content Is King! Links Rule! SEOs Ponder - ClickZ
- Is Google Custom Search Influencing Google Web Search? - SEO by the Sea
- Creating and Using an SEO Editorial Calendar - Michael Gray
- Three Major Lessons from an SEO Amateur - Daily SEO Tip
- Find the Question to your Yahoo Answers! - SEOmoz
- SEO and Assumptions behind Web Searches - SEO by the Sea
- How To Identify & Solve URL Canonicalization Issues - Vertical Measures
- Five Steps to Creating Compelling, Optimized Webpage Titles! - SEO Copywriting
- Be cautious when using SEO plugins - Vertical Leap Blog
- Exact Match Domains - SEO Book.com
- Ho Ho Ho, Go Google Go - SEO Book.com
- Google on Manipulating Search for ORM - Outspoken Media
- Google Fixes Blogspot Indexing Issue: New Content Being Indexed - Search Engine Roundtable
- Website clinic: Call for submissions - Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Anatomy of a Bing caption - Bing Webmaster Center Blog
Can Microsoft adCenter Pose a Threat to Google AdWords? by Jonathan Allen
Industry experts from enterprise search marketing agencies offer insight into what advertisers can expect to squeeze out of adCenter.
Secrets to Paid Search Success Revealed, Part 1 by Ryan Woolley
Ads designed to be more attractive to a searcher and more relevant to the search query can yield wildly profitable paid search campaigns.
3 Holiday PPC Tips for Black Friday (And Beyond) by Alex Cohen
Fine-tuning your text ad to answer the questions of shoppers is what will set you apart this holiday season. These tips will help you increase your relevance, improve click-through rate, and answer the most profitable holiday questions.
RIP: AdWords Report Center By Greg Habermann
If you spend any amount of time in Google AdWords, you've probably noticed that your report options have slowly been dissappearing from the Report Center.
Impact of Google Instant on Paid Search [Report] By Jonathan Allen
Marin Software unveiled key research showing that Google Instant streaming search results was a win-win implementations for users and advertisers... and Google.
Microsoft adCenter Powers All Paid Search Advertising on Bing / Yahoo Search Alliance in U.S. & Canada By Jonathan Allen
Yahoo and Microsoft announced that they have completed a major search alliance milestone in both the U.S. and Canada.
- Google Confirms Major AdWords Quality Score Reporting Bug - Search Engine Roundtable
- Economics of Microsoft/Yahoo Alliance - Efficient Frontier
- AOL Plans to Roll Out Project Devil Ads to Non-AOL Sites - ClickZ
- Make the most of your AdSense experience with our new checklist - Inside AdSense
- Extend Your Advertising Reach to Health-Conscious Consumers with Microsoft Content Ads - adCenter Blog
- Feature Comparison Series: Match Types and Negative Keywords - adCenter Blog
- 3 Easy Ways to Get Free Product Feedback and Competitor Insights - Yahoo Advertising Blog
- The PPC Audit: Rewards for a Critical Eye - PPC Hero
- Five Google AdWords Quality Score Tips - ClickZ
- Conversion Tracking: What To Do When It Doesn't Work - PPC Hero
Analytics & ROI
- How to Build a KPI Tracking Dashboard Using Woopra - aimClear Blog
- Landing Page Testing -- Timeless Themes - Search Marketing Standard
- Website Conversions: Getting to 'Yes' - ClickZ
- Your stats, right away - Google AdSense for Feeds
Social Media Marketing
Happy Halloween! Is Mark Zuckerburg Dressing Up as Steve Jobs? By Jonathan Allen
I feel like I am writing for the wrong blog when I say this, but did anyone notice Mark Zuckerburg's resemblance to Steve Jobs at the Bing-Facebook announcement?
- 4 Ways to Improve Ad Performance on Facebook - Mashable
- Facebook Marketing: The Busy Person's Cheat Sheet - All Facebook
- Facebook Files for Patent on Inferential Ad Targeting - Inside Facebook
- Facebook Ads Reach Almost Two Thirds of U.S. Users in September - ClickZ
- Firesheep Exposes Flaw In Facebook Log-In Security - All Facebook
- How to Sell Products via Your Facebook Page - Social Media Examiner
- The Business Guide to Facebook Part 1: Your Brand Page for the Social Web - Brian Solis
- Twitter Hits 300 Employees As The Search For A New Office Continues - TechCrunch
- 26 Twitter Tips for Enhancing Your Tweets - Social Media Examiner
- The New MySpace: Screenshots and Videos - Mashable
- MySpace, Apps Leak User Data - Wall Street Journal
- Digg To Layoff 37% Of Staff, Product Refocus Imminent - TechCrunch
- 7 Social Media Activities To Outsource - SEO.com
- What the Future Holds for B2B Social Media Marketing - Mashable
- How the "Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear" Nailed Social Media - Mashable
- Social Media Marketing 101: In-House Team, Agency or Consultant? - Mashable
- Social Media Marketing Checklist - TopRank Online Marketing Blog
How to Value Links? by Jeremy Bencken
Perhaps the hardest question to answer in search engine optimization is how much to budget for link building. Here's how you can establish a fair ROI for link building.
Incorporating Geo-Targeting into Your Link Building by Jennifer Van Iderstyne
Searchers are getting better all the time at incorporating specific locations into their queries. Ignoring that fact is just fatal. Here are a few simple things you can do to amp up the geo-targeting as you build links.
How to Find Safe, Valuable, and Scalable Link Building Opportunities by Garrett French
A guide for finding trustworthy links that drive the right traffic to your site.
- Web Linking Gets Deeper with New Standard for Link Relations - ReadWriteWeb
- Manage Multiple Link Building Campaigns with a Free Trial at Ontolo - Marketing Pilgrim
- Using Linkbait to Create a Strong Online Presence - Search Engine Journal
- 4 Tools to Find Related Keyword Phrases for Varied Anchor Text - Search Engine Journal
- Link Baiting and Viral Marketing with Venn Diagrams - BlueGlass
Local & Mobile Search
What Local-Mobile-Social Convergence Means to Your Business by Jon Schepke
Marketers need to optimize, distribute, and track content across all platforms. Here are some strategies and tools for success as local, mobile, and social continue to converge
Google Place Search: Location Information Just Became More Critical by Jon Schepke
Google's new Place Search makes it more important than ever for business to implement a local search, online review, and SEO strategy to achieve prominent visibility in Google's results.
The Future of Visual Search: UPCs, QR Codes, and Augmented Reality by Michael Boland
Combined with general mobile device evolution and penetration, the pieces are falling into place for an all-out mobile barcode revolution in the coming months.
Welcome to Google Places Search By Greg Habermann
This is a major change in how local is going to shape the future of search. You can compare those SERP's to the current version to see how things are going to be changing monumentally.
Google Launches New Ad Format for Local Businesses By Danny Goodwin
Local businesses in San Francisco, Houston, and Chicago, can now access Google Boost, a beta AdWords program that auto-generates search ads to appear in Google's sponsored links section and Google Maps search results pages.
Google Instant Arriving on Android Devices By Danny Goodwin
Owners of select Android devices, including Droid, Droid X, and Incredible, are reporting the arrival of Google Instant (beta).
- Google Maps Reviews Gone Missing Again! - Search Engine Roundtable
- Business Photos from Google are now on Place pages - Google LatLong Blog
- Google Maps Tests New Navigation UI - Google Operating System
- Google Tags Update: Google Giveth and Google Taketh Away - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google Places: Are Your Reviews Still Missing? Tell Google - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google Voice Search Is Local Search Heaven - Chitika Research
- Getting places faster with Bing Local - Bing Search Blog
- Lionsgate, Aloft Hotels Run QR Code Campaigns - ClickZ
- Gowalla Goes Local With Ad Program - ClickZ
- 'Teleport' function for Google Street View - Telegraph
- Google exec: Android was "best deal ever" - VentureBeat
- Mobile Sites Improve, With Google at Top, Yankee Group Says - PCWorld
- Google's Mobile App Search Engine - Google Operating System
- Yet Another Android Lawsuit: Gemalto Goes After Google - Mashable
- Oracle: Google 'directly Copied' Our Java Code - PCWorld
- New in Google Maps for Android: Updated reviews, search filters, and Latitude real-time updating - Google Mobile Blog
- Gmail in mobile Safari: now even more like a native app - Google Mobile Blog
- New Map App: OnTerra's "RouteSavvy" Route Optimizer - Bing Maps Blog
- Mobile, Video Muscle Onto Ad Exchanges - ClickZ
SMB Search Marketing
Small Business Search Advertising Spend Growth Slows in Q3; Bing Share Rises [Report] By Danny Goodwin
Small businesses on average spent $2,327 on paid search advertising in Q3 2010, an increase of 43 percent over Q3 2009, according to Webvisible.
- Time-Saving Tools For Your Small Business - adCenter Blog
- Search Engine Employee and Customer: How to Win My Business - adCenter Blog
- Social Media Increases Small-Business Exposure - eMarketer
Yandex Adding Facebook Updates to Search Index by Danny Goodwin
Russia's top search engine Yandex will begin integrating Facebook data into its index, the companies announced.
Google Settles AdWords Discrimination Complaint in France By Danny Goodwin
Google has settled with French authorities, promising to overhaul its rules on blocking certain advertisers from buying sponsored links.
AdWords Seller Ratings - U.K. Seeing Stars By Danny Goodwin
Google introduced its AdWords seller ratings feature in the U.S. in June. As of Sunday, it appears the U.K. is now getting this service as well on Google.co.uk.
- Google 'revealed location of centre for vulnerable women' - Telegraph
- Google escapes prosecution over Streetview data - Telegraph
- Google report: UK's Internet sector is worth £100bn - The Next Web
- Canada's Yellow Pages Group Buys Trio Of Digital Ad Firms - paidContent
- Yahoo to take time finding 2nd Alibaba board member - Reuters
- How Search Behaviours Impact Our Search Strategy - ClickZ.asia
- F1 Driver Wins Lawsuit Against Google - WebProNews
- Trip Report: Google and YouTube in Iraq - Official YouTube Blog
The Search Industry
Alternative Search Engines Marketers Should Pay Attention To by Bas van den Beld
You won't find these search engines in the search market share lists alongside Google, Bing, and Yahoo, but they see lots of traffic and offer opportunities for all search marketers.
- Google Sites Overtake Yahoo in September - ClickZ
- Black Friday Search Activity - Hitwise
- Get Ready For Blekko: Public Launch On November 1 - TechCrunch
- Whoops, Barry Diller misspoke - again - Reuters
- Tools for maintaining privacy on the Web - San Jose Mercury News
Google Profiled Tonight on 'Bloomberg Game Changers' By Danny Goodwin
Google's Larry Page and Sergey Brin will be profiled in "Bloomberg Game Changers," a new documentary series that focuses on some of today's most influential people.
Could Google Acquisition of ITA Kill Online Travel Sales Industry By Frank Watson
Seems many of the larger online travel sales sites fear Google's purchase of ITA - the technology behind 65% of all carrier-direct online flight searches in the U.S. - and have banded together to try and stop the sale.
Google Promotes Susan Wojcicki to Senior VP By Danny Goodwin
Google has promoted Susan Wojcicki from vice president of product management to senior vice president. Wojcicki, Google's 18th employee, will continue her duties, overseeing Google AdWords, AdSense and Analytics.
U.S. Ends Google Street View Inquiry By Danny Goodwin
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has ended its inquiry into Google's wireless data grab, saying that the company has added better privacy controls into its corporate structure.
Meet Google's new VP of Search By Greg Habermann
Coming to Google from Amazon/A9 four years ago he has over 20 years of experience in the world of search having been chief scientist at Yahoo and a professor at the University of Arizona. He is well published and well respected by his colleagues.
Class Action Suit Targets Google for Revealing Users Search Queries By Danny Goodwin
A federal lawsuit filed in California alleges that Google illegally shared the search queries of its users with third parties. The class action seeks "monetary relief for those whose search queries were wrongly shared, and injunctive relief to prevent continued privacy abuses."
Schmidt's Solution to Street View Privacy Concerns? 'Just Move' By Danny Goodwin
During the past seven days, five countries have complained about Google's Street View cars. The growing outcry over privacy prompted Google to post another apology on their blog, which laid out new "privacy controls" to avoid future privacy breaches.
Google Fights Back in Patent Suit vs. Microsoft Co-Founder By Danny Goodwin
Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, sued 11 corporations, including Google/YouTube, Yahoo, Facebook, Apple, and AOL, claiming they built their businesses off of technology he owns the patents on. Now Google and many of the other companies are fighting back.
Google Sites Account for 6.4% of All Global Internet Traffic by Danny Goodwin
Google is huge, and it continues to shatter records. This month, Google broke an Internet traffic record, and the search giant now represents about 6.4 percent of all global Internet traffic.
- Google nears $2 billion deal to buy NY building: report - Reuters
- New privacy czar might have Google's hardest job - CNET News
- Google Is Now Providing Servants To Its Employees - Silicon Alley Insider
- New Google Campus Store Features Geek Schwag Galore - louisgray.com
- Google's Spam Report Extension - Google Operating System
- Google Finance adds multiple sign-in
- Google TV not a data gold mine--yet - CNET News
- Google TV is coming to 10,000 lucky developers - Official Google TV Blog - Google Finance
- This week in search 10/22/10 - Official Google Blog
- Searching your way to the ballot box - Official Google Blog
- $5 million to encourage innovation in digital journalism - Official Google Blog
Some Bing Users Seeing Integrated Facebook Search Results By Danny Goodwin
The Bing-Facebook personalized search results are beginning to roll out. Some Bing users who are signed into Facebook are starting to see their Facebook profile pop up in the top right corner, along with an message: "Hi X, Bing just got better with your Facebook friends."
- Microsoft Earnings: Everything is Great! Just Don't Look at Bing's Income Loss - Marketing Pilgrim
- Compete's Top 50 Sites: Bing Grows 108% - ReadWriteWeb
- Play "Decode Jay-Z with Bing" and win - Bing Search Blog
- Bing: Your Ticket to Fall Football - Bing Search Blog
Yahoo Appoints Ross Levinsohn as New EVP of Americas By Greg Habermann
- Yahoo Mail Beta Rolls Out Worldwide - Yahoo Mail Blog
- Yahoo Search has a new home on Facebook - Yahoo Search Blog
- Insights into Multimedia Search User Behavior, Intent, and Consumption - Yahoo Search Blog
Online Video News
Only 13% of Visitors to Media Company Homepage Watch Pre-roll Video Ads By Jonathan Allen
Video Sharing Analytics company, Tube Mogul conducted a little investigation to discover "what percent of unique visitors to a media company's homepage will end up watching a pre-roll video ad?"
Have Tea Party Candidates Read Obama Playbook on Using YouTube for Campaigns? By Greg Jarboe
The tea party movement seems more engaged in both the online as well as the offline political process.
- YouTube CEO Chad Hurley Leaving Position To Take Advisory Role - TechCrunch
- 1 billion subscriptions and counting - Official YouTube Blog
- Promoted Videos hit half a billion views - Official YouTube Blog
- Introducing Couch Mode... get comfy! - Vimeo Blog
- Getting Ready for the Holidays with YouTube - AdWords Agency Blog
SES Conference & Expo
- SES Chicago '10: aimClear Coverage & Key Takeaways - aimClear Blog
- From the Horse's Mouth - ClickZ
- Marketers Debate on Attribution Models Continues - ClickZ
- SES Accelerator - San Diego February 2011 - Speaking Submissions Now Being Accepted. - SES Blog
The Original Search Marketing Event is Back!
SES Denver (Oct 16) offers an intense day of learning all the critical aspects of search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search advertising (PPC). The mission of SES remains the same as it did from the start - to help you master being found on search engines. Register today!