Here's a roundup of this week's columns and news stories for the week of Nov. 1 to 5, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
The Importance of Localized Content - Local SEO Takes Center Stage by Ray "Catfish" Comstock
How to create content and link connectivity that sends the right signals to the search engines, telling them your site is relevant for users in those geographies.
The Art and Science of SEO Site Audits by Adam Audette
SEO audits are essential. Here are tips on how to get started with your own technical SEO audits, diagnosing on-page and off-page issues that could be hurting your organic rankings, plus some recommended tools.
SEOmoz 2010 Survey Results Candidly Reveal Industry Dilemma by Jonathan Allen
The entire project is a great measure of the search marketer's role in 2010 and candidly reflects the mood of the industry - everyone is feeling upbeat; but may still be keeping a few tricks up their sleeve.
New Entry into Enterprise SEO Space by Jonathan Allen
Tallwave, a venture accelerator firm that develops "go to market" strategies for digital marketing product companies, announced its first portfolio company, SyCara, a developer of workflow management platform for search engine optimization (SEO).
- Should You Rely upon Search Spiders to Rewrite Your Web Addresses? - SEO by the Sea
- Is Flash Bad for SEO - Michael Gray
- 5 SEO metrics I gotta have - Conversation Marketing
- The Google Holiday Update Conspiracy Theory - Michael Gray
- Renting vs. Buying Your SEO Solution - Bruce Clay
- 5 Secrets to YouTube Search Engine Optimization - ClickZ
- Search Engine Optimization: 10 Search Engine Ranking Problems - Bill Hartzer
- How to Add Singular and Plural Keywords to Your Page Titles - Michael Gray
- Blekko's SEO Tools: What Information Do They Provide? - Search Engine Land
- Google Replacing Page Titles in Search Results With On-Page Headings - SEO Book.com
- Localization, Unique Data Sets & the Future of Search - SEO Book.com
- How to help Google identify web spam - Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Make your websites run faster, automatically -- try mod_pagespeed for Apache - Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Rich snippets for shopping sites - Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Best practices for running multiple sites - Google Webmaster Central Blog
MSN adCenter vs. Google AdWords - Comparison Chart by Greg Habermann
If in the past you've only worked with Google or Yahoo, you should really start paying attention to adCenter for PPC.
Secrets to Paid Search Success Revealed, Part 3 by Ryan Woolley
How to maximize paid search ROI with keyword bidding by defining your business rules, avoiding hyper-bidding, testing, and knowing your peak hours and days.
Why You Should Change Your SEM Tactics for the Holidays by Kevin Gibbons
How to be sure your paid search campaigns are working as hard as possible during this busy time of year.
Google's 'Sponsored Links' Renamed 'Ads' by Danny Goodwin
Google is rolling out a change to its search ads on all English language domains. "Sponsored links" will now simply be known as "Ads."
Some Microsoft adCenter Accounts Reporting Problems By Greg Habermann
Since the Yahoo & MSN Search Alliance has finalized, many PPC advertisers are just now getting familiar with the Microsoft adCenter system and learning the differences between adCenter and Google AdWords. Apparently though not all transitions are smooth ones and this one is no exception.
- Google Lets Searchers Show 11 Search Ads On Top - Search Engine Land
- Google's Search Ads Guru on Staying Ahead of Bing, Facebook - Advertising Age
- Yahoo Rolls Out Site Retargeting, Renames Ad Network - ClickZ
- Online ads and search results leave lasting impressions, even if consumers don't click - Internet Retailer
- AdWords Editor 8.5 for Windows and Mac - Inside AdWords
- New! Holiday Marketing Central by Google - AdWords Agency Blog
- How Pre-Paid Yahoo! Search Marketing Balances Will Transition to Microsoft Advertising adCenter - adCenter Blog
- Using Query String Parameters to Track Customer Information in Microsoft Advertising adCenter - adCenter Blog
- Audience Targeting for Optimal Reach in Search and Display Advertising Campaigns - adCenter Blog
- Using Microsoft Advertising Intelligence for Keyword Expansion - PPC Hero
- Facebook Advertising vs. Google AdWords - Search Engine Journal
- Analyzing Your PPC Account - PPC Hero
- Testing PPC Sitelinks with Some Surprising Results - SEM Booty Blog
Analytics & ROI
After the Transition: How to Get the Most Out of Bing/Yahoo by Roger Barnette
The paid search transition between Bing and Yahoo is complete in the U.S. and Canada. Here's what search marketers should look out for as we get into the busiest time of the year.
The Call for Call Tracking Is Answered by Jonathan Allen
Both Google AdWords and Marin Software have announced solutions to track phone conversions and attribute their source to paid search campaigns. This is great news for local business chains and companies that have a more complex sales process.
- Google Analytics Suffering Data Outage : November 2, 2010 - Search Engine Roundtable
- Major New Features Added To Intelligence - Google Analytics
- Secret To Winning With Web Analytics? Starting Right! - Yahoo Web Analytics Blog
- Dynamic Tracking Code Loading in HTTPS or HTTP - Yahoo Web Analytics Blog
- The Art of the Landing Page - Search Engine Journal
- Keys To Web Analytics Maturity: Structure, Process, Hyperfocus - Avinash Kaushik
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook Response Prompts Strong Words From Privacy Lawmakers - ClickZ
- Everything You Need To Know About Today's Facebook Announcements - The Next Web
- Facebook's 'Unlike Page' Button Raises Stakes on Relevancy - ClickZ
- Facebook Says User Data Sold To Broker - WSJ.com
- Twitter Makes First D.C. Hire - ClickZ
- Twitter Brings Ads to User Timelines - ClickZ
- Twitter Advertising: A Complete Guide - The Next Web
- Why Twitter's C.E.O. Demoted Himself - The New York Times
- A Glimpse at the Future of Foursquare - Mashable
- StumbleUpon Stumbles Past 12 Million Members - Mashable
- LinkedIn Adopts 'Recommend' Over 'Like' - ClickZ
- MySpace on Shaky Ground With News Corp. Bosses - ClickZ
- Study Says Social Media Users Follow Only 5 Brands - Marketing Pilgrim
- Is Social Media Multitasking Worse Than Marijuana? - ClickZ
- What to Consider When Building an In-House Social Media Team - Mashable
- The Dawn of the Social Consumer - Brian Solis
- The 5th C of Community, Social Commerce - Brian Solis
Link Building: 3 Strategies for Link Requests by Kristi Hines
Here's what you need to be aware of when contacting webmasters as a representative of the client or as a brand advocate when requesting links.
- Can Link Building Make Your Website Popular? - Daily SEO Tip
- The Accidental Link Request Clinic - Search Engine Journal
SMB Search Marketing
- Using Social Media for the Success of Small and Medium Businesses - Search Engine Journal
- Survey: SMBs to Keep Spending on Digital Marketing in 2011 - ReadWriteWeb
Local & Mobile Search
Top 10 Local Search Insights for the Moment by Frank Watson
The local search marketing game is changing fast, driven by Google Places, mobile, maps, Twitter, Yelp, Foursquare and more. Here's a look at 10 recent developments in local you need to be aware of.
Google Officially Announces Arrival of Instant Mobile by Danny Goodwin
We reported that Google Instant beta was appearing on Android devices last week. Yesterday, Google made it official, introducing the predictive search-as-you-type functionality for iPhones and Android.
- Google Places - Reviewer Names No Longer Showing. Feature or Bug? - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google Places Search: Hiding Address No Longer Buries Listing - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Tips to Make Your Local Listing Appear Above Your Competitors - Daily SEO Tip
- How Google may Manage Reputations for Reviewers and Raters - SEO by the Sea
- Just launched: Bizzy. A personalized local business recommendation engine. - The Next Web
- Google's Android Makes Market Share Strides in Third Quarter - ClickZ
- Bringing Google ads to AdMob publishers - Google Mobile Ads Blog
- Location Based Services Used by 1% of US Internet Users on Any Given Day - Marketing Pilgrim
- Mobile + Email: WHERE Ties up With Constant Contact - BIA/Kelsey
- Google gaining on booming smartphone market - Reuters
- Google Gesture Search for Android on Google Maps? - SEO by the Sea
Google Places Presents Major Challenges for International SEO, Too! by Andy Atkins-Krüger
As Google Places rolls out across the world and puts the focus on local, here are some challenges you may face in your international search efforts.
Google Street View Live & Slightly Blurry in Germany By Danny Goodwin
Google Street View has debuted in Oberstaufen, Germany -- blurs and all. Taking a quick virtual tour of the city reveals only a few blurred out buildings so far, and one stretch completely blacked out.
- Seller rating extensions available on Google.co.uk and Google.de - Inside AdWords
- Yahoo and Samsung Expand Availability of Yahoo! Connected TV to Millions of Consumers Across Europe - Yahoo
- Announcing the new Inside AdSense Poland blog - Inside AdSense
- Local Giants Baidu and Alibaba Are Now Fierce Rivals - Advertising Age
- More 'Me Too' Search Engines in China? - ClickZ.asia
- Google Places now more widely available in Asia - Google LatLong
- Google Earth and iPhone trouble Israeli security chief - Reuters
The Search Industry
Human-flesh Search Engines Unearth Dark Side of Online Community by Jonathan Allen
Trick or treat? When the wisdom of crowds takes matters into their own hands.
10 Things I Hate About Google! by Peter van der Graaf
Lately, Google has shifted its focus from what's best to users to what's best for Google. Where Google is failing on data collection, privacy, SEO, spam, and more.
Many 2010 Election Results Too Close To Call By Greg Jarboe
If anyone tells you that one vote doesn't matter, go to Yahoo! News or Google News this morning and search for "too close to call."
Digital Marketers Need to Work on Elevator Pitch for Holiday Season By Greg Jarboe
comScore released its Q3 2010 U.S. retail e-commerce sales estimates, which showed that online retail spending reached $32.1 billion for the quarter, up 9 percent versus year ago. This growth rate represented the fourth consecutive quarter of positive year-over-year growth following a year of flat or negative growth rates.
- Best Search Engine: Testing Blekko vs. Google vs. Bing - The Daily Beast
- Blekko, The "Slashtag" Search Engine, Goes Live - Search Engine Land
Google vs. the World: A Week of Conflicts, Disputes, and Lawsuits by Danny Goodwin
This was a fight-filled week for Google. From squabbles with the travel industry, to suing the U.S. government, and various privacy disputes overseas, here's a recap of some noteworthy conflicts involving Google this week.
Google to Block Facebook's Access to Gmail Contacts by Danny Goodwin
Facebook is losing access to Gmail data due to a change in Google's term of services, but really because Facebook won't share its social graph data with Google.
Twitter's Promoted Tweets Appearing on Google By Danny Goodwin
Promoted Tweets from Twitter are beginning to appear in Google's real-time search results today. This is the first time that Google has allowed any form of advertising from a service other than its AdWords network to appear in its results.
Conductor says Google Instant has No Impact on Searcher Behavior [study] By Jonathan Allen
A week after the launch of Google Instant, Conductor compared 880,000 visits from ten high traffic websites by search term length with the week prior to the Instant launch and showed "virtually no change in search traffic distribution".
Marissa Mayer Lists Google's Top 3 Mistakes By Danny Goodwin
Marissa Mayer, Google's first female engineer and one of the first 20 hires, was recently interviewed on "Digg Dialogg" and asked what she considered Google's biggest mistakes.
Google to Pay $8.5 Million in Buzz Privacy Class Action Settlement By Danny Goodwin
Google will pay $8.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit brought against the company after its launch of Google Buzz.
New in Google Search Results: Stores and Types By Danny Goodwin
Google began highlighting brand names related to search queries in May. Now they have added links to stores and types in their related searches for some product search queries.
The Empire Grows: Google's Q3 Filing Reveals Aquisition Prices By Greg Habermann
This filing reveals the search engine's total acquisition costs to date. Through the end of September, Google shows that it has spent $626 million for 37 acquisitions. Those don't include the purchasing of Slide ($179 million), On2 ($123 million) or AdMob ($681 million) which totals a hefty sum $983 million.
Google Unveils Helpful Voting Tools By Greg Habermann
In order to help you get out and vote, Google is providing an array of tools and services in hopes to make finding what you need easier.
Google Loses Maps Founder, AdMob CEO By Danny Goodwin
Google lost Google Maps Co-Founder Lars Rasmussen to Facebook and AdMob CEO Omar Hamoui for "personal reasons."
- The Creator Of "The First True Web 2.0 App" Is The Latest To Leave Google - TechCrunch
- How one company games Google News - CNET News
- Google Vies for Shoppers - WSJ.com
- Google Sent Users to Wrong Polls? Nope, Board of Elections Did - ReadWriteWeb
- Google Translate Takes On Poetry - WSJ
- Inside the Google Books Algorithm - The Atlantic
- Google Image Search Now Let's You Switch Back To Old Design - Search Engine Roundtable
- Five new themes - Gmail Blog
- Rewarding web application security research - Google Online Security Blog
- Biggest Browser Share Gain In October Goes To Chrome - TechCrunch
- Is Goo.gl really the fastest URL shortener? (chart) - Royal Pingdom
Bing-Facebook Social Search Rollout Complete By Danny Goodwin
All U.S. Bing users now have access to the new social search features added with the assistance of Facebook, the company announced.
- Jay-Z finds a new canvas - Bing Search Blog
- Yahoo CIO Kirwan Bids Adieu - All Things Digital
- Yahoo Reach Comparable with TV and Cable - Yahoo Advertising Blog
Online Video News
'The T-Mobile Welcome Back' is Great Sequel to 'The T-Mobile Dance' By Greg Jarboe
Uploaded on October 29, their sequel already has 545,135 views. And according to the Viral Video Chart, it already has 11,120 Facebook shares, 1,580 tweets, and 33 blog posts.
YouTube will Move Right Along as Though Nothing had Happened By Greg Jarboe
YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley stepped down as the company's CEO. Frankly, it won't have much impact at all on YouTube and video marketing.
- How To Get Found On YouTube - Search Engine People
- YouTube SEO Experiment & Useful Tips - Distilled Blog
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.