Here's a recap of this week's columns and news stories for the week of Jan. 2 to 8, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
SEO Factors for 2011 by Josh McCoy
As we begin the New Year, many SEOs have their eyes set on search engine ranking factors. Here are a few areas you should pay attention to -- because the engines are already sending subliminal messages.
Using Social Media to Boost Search Rankings by Guillaume Bouchard
Social media can be used for more than branding, customer service, PR, and retention. It can also be used to support your rankings in the SERPs.
- Google Emailing Webmasters For Bad Links, Cloaking & More - Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Doesn't Want You To Think About PageRank - Search Engine Roundtable
- Google: Remove The Robots.txt File Completely - Search Engine Roundtable
- Never List URLs With Session IDs In A Google Sitemap - Search Engine Roundtable
- Our Online Reputation Management Playbook - SEOmoz
- Duplicate Content: Block, Redirect or Canonical - SEOmoz
- 8 copywriting catastrophes and how to avoid them - Conversation Marketing
- Boost your conversion rates with this one simple technique - SEO Copywriting
- Why Multiple Domains are Mostly Bad for SEO - SEO.com
- 5 SEO Tactics to Explore in 2011 - SEOmoz
- How To Spy On Your Online Competition - Search Engine People
- SEO Writers Block - Vertical Leap
What You Can Expect From the World of PPC in 2011 by John Lee
Display advertising, actionable attribution, and Facebook PPC are just a few of the things we can look forward to in paid search advertising this year.
- If Tracking Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Tracking - ClickZ
- Seven departments you should involve in search marketing (but probably don't) - Econsultancy
- Obamacare AdWords: Partisan Outrage Or Public Education? - Search Engine Land
- Google Certification Tests Not Showing For Some Advertisers - Search Engine Roundtable
- A Google Like Button: Adsense for Social Network Sharers? - SEO by the Sea
- An Introduction to Billing in Microsoft Advertising adCenter - adCenter Blog
- Dec 2010 CPCs: Robust numbers round out the year - Efficient Frontier
How to Structure an AdWords Account -- A Practical Guide by Ryan Woolley
A walk-through of some of the core components in setting up your Google AdWords account, plus tips on particular AdWords features that can help improve your program's performance.
- Search Retargeting - ClickZ
Analytics & ROI
Web Development: Throw Out the Cookbook, It's Jenga Time! by Kristine Schachinger
This year, you must understand how every aspect of your website affects the other parts, as well as your SEO and organic/local results. All of it is now a big heaping pile of intertwined supports that rely on each other to determine your ROI.
Will 2011 be the Year of Conversion Rate Optimization? by Stephen Cobb
The business logic behind conversion rate optimization is compelling, yet in 2010 many businesses managed not to do much about CRO, perhaps distracted by trends like social media. But 2011 will be the year that CRO finally has something to crow about.
Campaign Overload: How Search Marketers Can Overcome Fragmentation by Matt Lawson
More platforms and formats have made managing online marketing increasingly difficult. Use these tips to help tame campaign fragmentation in 2011.
- Think -Test -Track: The Improvement Framework - Search Engine People
- Understanding Site Architecture with Xenu and Excel - Distilled
- Google Webmaster Tools Expose Analytics Lies - beu blog
- How to Leverage Year Over Year Data Successfully - SEOmoz
- How-To for Google Display Conversion Optimizer Setting - PPC Hero
- 25 Ways to Increase Sales and Lead Generation - HubSpot Blog
- Tracking Traffic from Google Places in Google Analytics - SEOmoz
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook's financials revealed in leak - The Sydney Morning Herald
- Facebook Is Said to Plan to Start Reporting Finances by 2012 - BusinessWeek
- Facebook Deal Spurs Inquiry - The Wall Street Journal
- Goldman Offering Clients a Chance to Invest in Facebook - The New York Times
- Flush With Investor Cash, Facebook Gains on Search Giants - ClickZ
- Many Huffington Post Readers Hate Site's New Facebook-Powered Recommendation Engine - ReadWriteWeb
- Want Thousands Of Facebook Likes For $40? - All Facebook
- Facebook and the Science of Word Choice - Marketing Pilgrim
- Celebrating a New Year with a New Tweet Record - Twitter Blog
- New Investment Fund Values Twitter at $4.1 Billion - The Wall Street Journal
- Twitter Math: If Accounts Were Ranked By Followers, This Would Be The Equation - TechCrunch
- Did StumbleUpon just pass Facebook for social media traffic? - The Next Web
- LinkedIn plans to go public in 2011: sources - Reuters
- 5 Ways to Use LinkedIn Groups to Build Influential Connections - Social Media Examiner
- Quora Booms, But Will Marketers 'Follow'? - ClickZ
- 21 Social Media Predictions and Trends for 2011 - ClickZ
- Blurry Lines in 2011: Social + Search + Media - ClickZ
- Holiday retail gets more social - Hitwise
- Page Segmentation and the Effects on Link Building - Search Engine Journal
- How to Get Links from Influencers - Daily SEO Tip
- 3 New Year's Resolutions for Link Builders - Search Engine Journal
Local & Mobile Search
Think Global Opportunity, Act Localeze; Persistent IDs Check-in To Twitter Places by Jonathan Allen
Localeze's ambitions to be the single management source for all local listings on the web got yet another boost yesterday. Their "Persistent ID" (PID) system has been integrated into Twitter Places alongside other services such as Gowalla and OpenTable.
Google Android E-Newsstand in Works? by Danny Goodwin
Google is reportedly looking to create a digital newsstand to run on Android smartphones and tablets. Google has initiated talks with major newspaper and magazine publishers about the venture, including Time Inc., Condé Nast, and Hearst Corp.
- Holland Tunnel Now Back In Google Maps - Search Engine Roundtable
- Smartphone Market Share: Android Bypasses Apple - ClickZ
- In the Works: A Google Mobile Payment Service? - BusinessWeek
- Differences in Mobile Smartphone Ranking and Desktop Web Ranking in Google Search - Natural Search & Mobile SEO Blog
- AdMob's Tony Nethercutt Joins Rival Firm Mojiva - ClickZ
- Google Responds To Android SMS Bug: Fixes Are On The Way - TechCrunch
- Google launches Motorola Xoom as rival to Apple iPad - The Telegraph
- Hulu Plus to launch on Android handsets "in coming months" - The Next Web
- Verizon Wireless to Showcase Google-Powered 4G Phones - The Wall Street Journal
- AdMob Network hits 2 Billion Requests a Day - Google Mobile Ads Blog
- Click-to-call best practices: useful tips for optimizing your mobile campaigns - Google Mobile Ads Blog
- A Sneak Peek of Android 3.0, Honeycomb - Google Mobile Blog
SMB Search Marketing
New Year's Resolutions for Small Businesses by Rob Chant
Small business owners: if you're going to have a web site, make it an absolutely core component of your business. If you're not willing to do that, drop having a web site altogether. Don't follow the herd out of instinct.
- How Small Businesses Can Make the Most of Yelp - ReadWriteWeb
- How to Use Social Media to Promote Traffic to Your Small Business Blog - Big Marketing for Small Business
5 Reasons Why "Sears Blue Blogger Crew" Is A True-Blue 2011 Strategy by Jonathan Allen
Sears, one of the oldest and largest big box retailers of the 20th century, have announced a nifty 21st century marketing strategy. They are going to be sending 5 established tech bloggers to the much anticipated Consumer Electronics Show (CES) show. The 5 bloggers will be part of the "The Sears Blue Blogger Crew" according to ClickZ, which has more details on the team and assignment.
Forget Altruism: China Too Big A Prize For Google To Give Up by Frank Watson
Google CFO Patrick Pichette may have said Google wants to give the Chinese people open access to information as part of the company's global mission, but the loss of their access to the country with the greatest number of online users is a market and profit potential they would not want to lose.
Experian Hitwise Launches Internet Measurement Service for India by Greg Jarboe
Although global marketers often dream of taming the Chinese dragon, the Indian elephant may get them farther, faster. Why? The Indian market is now more measurable.
- Manitoban sues Google over Buzz program - Winnipeg Free Press
- Italy To Regulate YouTube & Other Video Sites Like TV Stations -Search Engine Land
- Google 'refused to reveal crime suspect's number plate' - The Telegraph
- Paid Search Spending Ends 2010 With Strong Growth in APAC and EMEA - Covario
- S. Korean Police Say Google Collected Private Data Illegally - PCWorld
- Moving Ahead With Smartphone Marketing in 2011 - ClickZ.asia
- Are You Ready for the Yahoo-Google Partnership in Japan? - ClickZ.asia
- Google Hires Crowdsourcing Guru to Manage Africa Policy - Fast Company
The Search Industry
2011: The Year of Social SERPs, Bing Instant & Social Search by Brian Goffman
Here are six predictions expected to unfold from key players in search and social media this year.
The Year in Search: A Recap of the Biggest Changes and A Look Ahead by Thom Craver
After an extremely busy year in the search world, where are we headed in 2011?
Search History Helps Convict Husband Of Wife's Murder by Frank Watson
A Wisconsin man was convicted of his wife's murder with evidence that included his search history of the ingredients used to kill her.
Facial Expressions As Part of Search Rankings? Kinect Could Do It by Frank Watson
During the Microsoft keynote Wednesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, CEO Steve Balmer noted "everyone who is enjoying Kinect knows that today it listens to your voice, and tracks your body, but what about your facial expressions? As you can see, now Kinect can track features like your smile, your laugh, and even the raise of your eyebrows."
Stanford QB Andrew Luck Hottest Search Term Today by Frank Watson
Search and news stories are very closely related. In this age of watching TV with laptop at hand, we tend to search for things we see on the TV - and the CES flood of internet TV applications and hardware attests to this - it is no wonder the predicted top of the NFL draft decision to stay in school would get people searching for more information.
Losing Job At Yahoo, MySpace? Macy's Is Hiring by Frank Watson
Seems e-commerce is hiring, and some big online companies are firing Employees being cut at Yahoo and MySpace may be able to find the right fit amongst the 725 openings at Macy's online department.
- Blekko Launches Spam Clock To Keep Pressure On Google - Search Engine Land
- DuckDuckGo Challenges Google On Privacy With DontTrack.us - Search Engine Land
- Case Study: Newspapers Writing For Search Trends? - paidContent
- Interest increasing for tablets - Hitwise
- Top 25 U.S. Online Properties, November 2010 - ClickZ
Will Google Showcase 3D TV Apps at CES 2011? by Jonathan Allen
The highly anticipated Consumer Electronics Show (CES) opens in Las Vegas tomorrow. Sears' Blue Blogger Crew will be covering the event, but what we really want to know is... what products might Google be planning to showcase?
- Google Wins One Against Microsoft - The Wall Street Journal
- Google Lost Groupon, But Still Tops Most-Active Acquirer List - The Wall Street Journal
- Google TV Gets More Movies & Music with mSpot - ReadWriteWeb
- Google was the world's most dangerous website in 2010 - The Next Web
- Marissa Mayer on Google's Failed Groupon Bid - Media Bistro
- @ CES: Hollywood Digital Czars Rain On Smart TV Parade - paidContent
- Samsung and Google TV - Google TV Blog
- Google TV: A new partner for the new year - Google TV Blog
- Google Hasn't Given Up the Ghost on Social - Google Watch
- Google Bike - Instructables
- Google, Apple gain ground on Microsoft's Internet Explorer - San Jose Mercury News
- Hearst And Google Ventures Back A TV Check-In Startup - paidContent
- Sales Are At A Trickle On Google's Chrome Web Store -TechCrunch
- Creating a safer email environment - Google Enterprise Blog
Will Cars Become Latest Search Platform? CES Has Some Answers by Frank Watson
Toyota and Microsoft will announce details of their partnership for its "revolutionary in-car experience" Entune which will include voice activated search using Bing through the driver's mobile phone's data plan.
- Compete Says Bing's Combined U.S. Market Share Rose To 29% Last November - TechCrunch
- Bing Feature Update: Check your local TV listings with Bing - Bing Search Blog
- Yahoo Ties Up With CBS, HSN to Make Live TV More Interactive - Bloomberg
- Key Yahoo Ad Exec Leaves as Unit Restructures - All Things Digital
- Yahoo Loses Monetization/E-Commerce Platform VP to LinkedIn - All Things Digital
- Search: A Shopper's Secret Weapon - Yahoo Search Blog
YouTube Keyword Tool and Video Optimization Techniques by Greg Jarboe
Three key steps for optimizing your YouTube videos: keywords, titles, and tags.
YouTube Looks Back at the Best Video Ads of 2010 by Greg Jarboe
The YouTube Blog took an informal poll of its own team and industry reporters -- including Zach Rodgers of ClickZ -- to find out their favorite YouTube ads of the year.
- How To Make The Most Of Your YouTube Channel - Part 1 - ReelSEO
- Vimeo Increases Upload Limits To 5GB For Paid Members - ReelSEO
- Click Bombing YouTube Publishers To Get Them Banned - Search Engine Roundtable
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.