Here's a recap of this week's columns and news stories for the week of Jan. 9 to 15, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
Quit Obsessing On Anchor Text Already by Adam Audette
Instead of creating links with exact-match anchor text, work hard to build great, unique content and resources that are real contributions on the web. Provide value that builds links over time based on its own merit.
6 Ways to Sculpt Your Site's Link Equity by Eric Enge
Want to see a significant impact on rankings and traffic? Here are a few ways you can use link equity to help pages rank for particular search queries.
- Microsoft launches free Web publishing tools WebMatrix - The Seattle Times
- Remove Your Site In Google? Reinclude Takes Very Little Time - Search Engine Roundtable
- The Real Problem with Borders Books is Search - SEO by the Sea
- SEO Traffic is the CLEANEST and MOST VALUABLE Traffic Online - SEO Book.com
- 25 Important Search Engine Optimization Mistakes to Fix Right Now - Bill Hartzer
- The Social Media Marketer's SEO Checklist - SEOmoz
- Session ID query parameters: A quick list - Conversation Marketing
- 3 ways SEO can ruin content - SEO Copywriting
- How a Search Engine Might Fight Googlebombing - SEO by the Sea
- The Art and Science of Writing Good Titles - Michael Gray
- 8 Lessons I've Learned From Doing SEO - Wiep.net
- Editorial SEO Tactics for the Newsroom - Adam Sherk
- News Feed Optimization (NFO) is the new SEO! - Buzz Marketing for Technology
- What's the Future of Mobile Search and SEO? - SEOmoz
- Investing vs. Wasting Budget on SEO - TopRank Online Marketing Blog
- 3 skills every SEO copywriter must have - SEO Copywriting
- Tips for Manual Article Spinning - Daily SEO Tip
- The Problem With Being An SEO Consultant - It's Always Your Fault - SEOmoz
5 AdWords Tips for Monitoring Your Trademarks -- A Client's Success Story by Grant Crowell
Some valuable legal information that every search marketer, and especially those advertising using Google AdWords, should pay attention to.
How Consumer Latency Affects Your Search Campaigns by Jason Tabeling
When thinking about your paid search spend or launching a new campaign, it's important to understand how latency impacts your sales. Learn how to use this data to your advantage.
Search and Display -- Piece by Piece in 2011 by Roger Barnette
Marketers must begin pulling together pieces from search and display to build a holistic picture and approach. Some notes and tips on search and display advertising.
AdWords Updates: Search Ad Display URL Changes; Negative Keywords Lists by Danny Goodwin
The domain portion of your display URL for all ads appearing on Google's search results pages will begin appearing in all lowercase letters within the next week, Google announced yesterday. Standardizing the look of the URLs improved click-through rates, according to Google's Lisa Shieh.
More Updates for Google AdSense by Danny Goodwin
Google debuted a new look for AdSense back in November, and today announced some more updates and new features.
- To Succeed in Paid Search, Think Inside the Box - ClickZ
- Using Dayparting Effectively in PPC: The Basics - Searching Beyond the Paid
- Case Study: Refining Mobile Campaigns- PPC Hero
- Creating Image Ads with The Adwords Display Ad Builder - PPC Hero
- Paid search pays off over the holidays - Internet Retailer
- The Yahoo-Bing transition: Insights - Efficient Frontier
- The Next Chapter in the Display Wars -- Google vs. Yahoo - Efficient Frontier
- Image Search Ads - A Case Study with The Carphone Warehouse - Efficient Frontier
- December CPC Search Prices Up Versus 2009 - ClickZ
- Serving enhancement for Ad Sitelinks - Inside AdWords
- Contextual targeting just got easier for your display campaigns - Inside AdWords
- The Keyword Tool helps you go mobile - Inside AdWords
- Introducing Google Engage for Agencies in the US and UK - AdWords Agency Blog
- AdSense Facts & Fiction Part V: Unoriginal content - Inside AdSense
- 7 Simple Steps to Set Up Demographic Targeting in Microsoft Advertising adCenter - adCenter Blog
- Keyword Advertiser Headed to Trial--Soaring Helmet v. Nanal - Eric Goldman
- Search Engines Sued for Accepting Keyword Advertising on "Cheese of the Month Club" Trademark--Pathak v. ICG - Eric Goldman
- Negative Keywords 101 - ClickZ
Analytics & ROI
- How Obvious Is Your Call to Action? - ClickZ
- 11 Types of Analytics for 2011 - Get Elastic Ecommerce Blog
- I Wish I'd Known That. [Digital Analytics Edition.] - Avinash Kaushik
- Monetize Your Top Exit Pages - Google Analytics Blog
Social Media Marketing
Are You Losing Out On Targeted Social Media Traffic? by Kaila Strong
An overview of the top social media referrer sites, and a few best practices to help you in your social media marketing efforts.
Bubble Bubble, Boil and Trouble: Is Facebook Stirring Tech Bubble? by Frank Watson
Seems talk of another tech bubble occurring in the stock market has been making the rounds of numerous publications.
- Facebook's 'Report this Ad' Worries Political Advertisers - ClickZ
- How to Create a Custom Tab on Your Facebook Business Page - Agent SEO
- IPO Readiness: How Facebook And LinkedIn Compare To Previous Tech Giants - paidContent
- Twitter Advertisers Look For Lead-Gen 'Follows' - ClickZ
- Picking Twitter Tools for Your Business - Bruce Clay
- Groupon Advances on I.P.O. That Could Value It at $15 Billion - The New York Times
- Social Gaming Market to Surpass $1 Billion - eMarketer
- News Corp says looking at spinout or sale of MySpace - Reuters
- MySpace Lays Off 47% of Staff - ClickZ
- Can Quora drive traffic? - Conversation Marketing
- The Forgotten Social Network - The Stanford Daily
- The Social Compass is the GPS for the Adaptive Business - Brian Solis
- 5 Tips for Optimizing and Integrating Your Social Media Content - ClickZ
- 10 Tips to Improve Your Social Graph for Google - SEOptimise
Is Link Relevance as Effective as Anchor Text? by Kristi Hines
Obtaining links from high authority pages will increase your site's authority. Here's how to find pages with strong relevance to the keywords for which you want to rank.
Local & Mobile Search
Will Search Drive Mobile Ad Revenues? by Michael Boland
With increasing search volume, combined with higher CTRs and CPCs than desktop search, it becomes a matter of arithmetic to plot a fairly healthy roadmap for mobile search ad revenue.
iPhone 4: Trouble on the Verizon for Google Android? by Danny Goodwin
The iPhone 4 is coming to Verizon. So Google's Android operating system is totally doomed now, right? That's what some experts seem to think.
Google Goggles Now Solves Sudoku For You by Danny Goodwin
Google today released a new "faster and smarter" version of image search app Google Goggles for Android. In addition to boasting better barcode/QR scanning and recognition of print ads in newspapers and magazines, Goggles 1.3 also solves Sudoku puzzles.
Foursquare Quietly Posts New Rules by Frank Watson
Foursquare has added an updated Dos and Don'ts list in their "house rules" page. "The guidelines set by our community for how to make the most of foursquare and have the most fun," the site calls them.
USA Today Foursquare Partnership Smart Social Review Play by Frank Watson
USA Today announced it was adding 250 Top Ten Places articles to its Foursquare account and its intention of adding more.
- Google Customer Service: Up Against the Algo - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Google Transit Search Gets Smarter - ReadWriteWeb
- Marissa Mayer and Google's Local Search Strategy - The Daily Beast
- How Much Traffic Do Local Sites Get from Google? - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Facebook Lead Generation for Local Businesses - PPC Blog
- Google Local Search Ranking Keys: Relevance, Prominence & Distance - SEM ClubHouse
- Google Places Dashboard: How to Make % Complete = 100% - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- Millennial: For The First Time, Android Surpasses iOS Mobile Ad Impression Share - TechCrunch
- Google Job Posting Appears to Confirm Mobile Payments Service - ReadWriteWeb
- Google's Conversation Translation Looks Like a Gimmick - ReadWriteWeb
- Analyst: Android Tablet Shipments Will Match iPad In Second Half Of 2011 - Forbes
- Google Android More Vulnerable Than IPhone, Antivirus Maker Says - BusinessWeek
- Google Ice Cream landing in time for the summer - Pocket-lint
- Google Acknowledges Nexus S Reboot Issues - The Next Web
- Hulu Plus Coming Soon to Android Mobile Phones - Hulu Blog
- Now available: Google Places with Hotpot for iPhone - Hotpot Blog
- The new Bing ad spot is all about the iPhone - The Next Web
- Foursquare Launches Business Pages for Small Businesses and Brands - HubSpot Blog
- Foursquare to Add Restaurant, Other Reviews, From Questionable Source - ReadWriteWeb
- A Third of Online Shoppers Also Browse on Mobile - ClickZ
SMB Search Marketing
- Marketing-Strategy Checklist for SMBs in 2011 - ClickZ
- RSS - The Secret Weapon of Your Small Business Blog - Search Engine People
- How Small Businesses Can Use Quora - ReadWriteWeb
- How To Build An Interactive Facebook Page for Your Small Business - ineedhits
- SMBs Stay Optimistic About Yelp 'Check-ins,' Foursquare - ClickZ
15 Ways To Avoid Wasting Money In International Rollouts by Andy Atkins-Krüger
Looking to expand your business overseas? Make your life easier and save money with these top tips.
UK SEO Spend Increases 16% in 2010 by Frank Watson
UK spending on SEO efforts for 2010 saw a 16% increase compared to 2009 numbers, an eConsultancy report noted.
Germany Threatens to Fine Companies That Use Google Analytics by Danny Goodwin
Concluding that Google hasn't adequately complied with their demands, German data protection officials are warning that web companies in the country could face a "steep fine" if they use Google Analytics.
Google Promoting Geotargeted Ads In Europe As EU Antitrust Investigation Continues by Frank Watson
Google is increasing its mobile ad sales team in Europe and promoting opportunities with geo-targeting, as European antitrust investigators ask advertisers whether Google suggested increased spending with the company would result in improved visibility in its search results.
EU Asks Advertisers: Does Google Manipulate Its Search Results? by Danny Goodwin
Hey, advertisers in the European Union. Does Google give you better organic results if you spend more in AdWords, or have they promised you higher rankings if you spend a little more? The European Commission (EC) wants to know all about it.
Google Facing Fines In South Korea, Adding To WiFi Collection Problems by Frank Watson
The South Korean government said Google had violated privacy collecting "e-mails and other personal information from unsecured wireless networks while it took photos of neighborhoods in South Korea for its Street View mapping service between October 2009 and May 2010."
Yahoo/Microsoft Search Alliance Expands to 3 More Countries by Danny Goodwin
Microsoft is now serving Yahoo's organic search results in three new countries,
- How to: Conduct Foreign Language PPC Campaigns - Search Engine Journal
- Brussels Wants 7-Year Limit on Works Digitized by Google - The New York Times
- Prospects For The UK Finance Vertical In 2011 - adCenter Blog
- If You Get Paid to Tweet, Disclose it, U.K. Says - The Wall Street Journal
- Searchmetrics raises $6.75 million C-round financing to expand globally - TechCrunch Europe
- Luke Johnson hits out at 'monstrous' Google - The Telegraph
- Brand Advertiser and Search in 2011 - ClickZ.asia
- China's Baidu search engine launches English blog - AFP
- Tunisian Government Allegedly Hacking Facebook, Gmail Accounts of Dissidents and Journalists - Fast Company
- Facebook Gains Popularity in Taiwan - ClickZ
- North Korean Twitter, YouTube accounts hijacked - CNET News
- Google Bangladesh site hacked - bdnews24.com
- Russian technology chiefs: 'Google, Facebook and Microsoft cannot beat us on our own turf' - The Telegraph
- Google Now #1 Search Engine In Czech Republic; 5 Countries To Go For Global Domination - Search Engine Land
- Haiti, one year after the earthquake - Google LatLong
The Search Industry
Ham Wars: How Search Impacts Your Dinner Table by Eli Goodman
Search marketing opportunities abound for food manufacturers and retailers to acquire customers online. But they need to consider the logistics further down the purchase funnel if they intend to keep them.
77% of Americans Oppose Government Regulation of Search Engines [Survey] by Danny Goodwin
A majority of Americans oppose government regulation of search results on Google, Bing, and Yahoo, according to a new Rasmussen national telephone survey. Seventy-seven percent of adults said the government has no business regulating search engine results, while 11 percent were for it, and 12 percent were undecided.
Wikipedia Celebrates its 10th Anniversary by Greg Jarboe
It's hard to believe but today is Wikipedia's 10th birthday. The "multilingual, web-based, free-content encyclopedia project" was created on January 15, 2001.
- Microsoft Seeks to Strengthen Agency Ties - ClickZ
- GSI Commerce Buys ClearSaleing, Building Analytics Muscle - ClickZ
- Why I'm Having Second Thoughts About The Wisdom Of The Cloud - TechCrunch
Google Buys eBook Technologies, Is Reader On Way Or Maybe GPad by Frank Watson
Speculation that Google plans on creating an electronic book reader were given more fuel with the company's acquisition of eBook Technologies - "a company that specializes in both hardware and content distribution for electronic readers,"
HTML5 Codec Support New Browser War Or Google Edict? by Frank Watson
Google announced it will cease supporting H.264 - one of the major codecs for the HTML5 video platform.
Larry Page Buys $45 Million Superyacht by Danny Goodwin
Google co-founder Larry Page bought himself a luxury yacht last month, for a reported €35 million ($45 million). Page bought the swank yacht called Senses last month from rich New Zealand businessman Sir Douglas Myers.
Only 1 US Auto Company In Top Ten Car Make Searches Last 30 Days by Frank Watson
In a post on the Official Google Blog the company congratulated the auto industry on a strong start to the new year and linked to the 2011 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
- Insider trading in Google alleged in latest SEC fund suit - MarketWatch
- Kayak feels the Google-ITA pressure - CNET News
- With Thick Skin, Google CIO Finds Job Rewarding - PCWorld
- Google Maps Head Plots a New Course - Forbes
- Google Testing Another Top Bar Navigation Look - Search Engine Roundtable
- 30 Minute Google News Outage Last Night - Search Engine Roundtable
- Google TV Jailbreak Opens the Doors to Developers, Hulu -ReadWriteWeb
- Google leases more space at Bakery Square - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Spell Checker for Gmail Search - Google Operating System
- Google Goggles History - Google Operating System
- How Google Speeds Up The Chrome Release Cycle - TechCrunch
- Going to the Source to Improve Product Data - Google Merchant Blog
- Custom Search integrated into Go Daddy websites - Official Google Blog
- Google URL Shortener gets an API - Google Code blog
- Destination: Dial Tone -- Getting Google Apps to 99.99% - Google Enterprise Blog
- More about the Chrome HTML Video Codec Change - Chromium Blog
- Google Science Fair seeks budding Einsteins and Curies - Official Google Blog
- Chrome Stable Release - Google Chrome Releases
- World IPv6 Day: firing up the engines on the new Internet protocol -Official Google Blog
- Bing Feature Update: Enhanced auto results put you in the driver's seat - Bing Search Blog
- Yahoo Sports Adds an Online Magazine - The New York Times
- Mickie Rosen to Join Yahoo as Audience Head - All Things Digital
- Tim Mayer: Search Vet & Ex-Yahoo Lands At Trada - Search Engine Land
- Disney and Yahoo in internet TV content talks: report - Reuters
- Themes, and Calendar, and Updates! Oh, my! - Yahoo Mail Blog
Video Marketing News
YouTube Now Exceeds 200 Million Views a Day on Mobile by Greg Jarboe
Yesterday, the YouTube Blog buried its lead. Midway through a post that proclaimed "Music videos now on YouTube app for Android," was the really important news for marketers: "YouTube now exceeds 200 million views a day on mobile, a 3x increase in 2010."
34.7 Million Internet Users in the U.K. Watched 6 Billion Videos in November 2010 by Greg Jarboe
With SES London 2011 just around the corner, comScore today announced that 34.7 million Internet users in the U.K. watched 6 billion videos in November 2010. That's an average of 173 videos a month per British viewer.
How to Upload YouTube Videos Using Drag and Drop by Danny Goodwin
For those using the latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox, YouTube just made it easier to upload videos with a simple drag and drop option. When using either of the HTML5-powered browsers, you can now drag multiple videos from your desktop to anywhere on YouTube's Video File Upload page.
- YouTube for Business: How to Make the Most of Your YouTube Channel - Part 2 - ReelSEO
- Getting Links and SEO Value from your YouTube Videos - Distilled
- Winners Of YouTube's On The Rise Contest Double Subscriber Rates - ReelSEO
- The Viral Future: What We Can Expect From Branded Video Advertising In 2011 - ReelSEO
- 6 Awesome Alternatives to YouTube - The Next Web
- YouTube's HTML5 Rickrolling - Google Operating System
- Google, Weinstein Co. Strike Film Deal - paidContent
SES Conference & Expo
- Who are YOU sending to SES London? - State of Search
Search Week in Review 2011 Archives
Meet Your Favorite Search Engine Watch Contributors
Many of SEW's leading expert contributors will be at ClickZ Live, the new online and digital marketing event kicking off in New York (March 31-April 3). Hear from the likes of: Thom Craver, Josh Braaten, Lisa Barone, Simon Heseltine, Josh McCoy, Lisa Raehsler, Greg Jarboe, Dan Cristo, Joseph Kerschbaum, John Gagnon, Eric Enge and more!