The YouTube Team launched a new YouTube home page yesterday.
Let's take a close look at what the YouTube Team did. Firstly, they 'experimented'. Hey, that's not my choice of words! On the Official YouTube Blog, they say that "the goal of this experiment was to put more of an emphasis on 'videos for you.'"
To pave the way for this experiment, they removed some of the less-used modules such as "Videos Being Watched Now." Then they moved modules like "Spotlight" and "Featured Videos" over to the right side.
They say, "All of these changes were to make room for a combined list of personally relevant videos made up of recommendations for you, your subscriptions activity, and videos being shared by your friends."
Next, they opened up the experimental home page to anyone who wanted to try it out. Millions of users opted in and now have this new version set as their homepage. Many of the people who tried the experimental homepage filled out YouTube's feedback form. The YouTube Team says, "While not everyone loved it, most people thought the new homepage was better than the old homepage."
If you log in to YouTube, here are some of the "enhancements" offered by the new homepage:
- Increased focus on videos that matter to each YouTuber (subscriptions, friend's sharing, recommendations).
- YouTubers can easily filter their homepage to show only the latest uploads from their subscriptions.
- If a channel uploads four videos in a day, a YouTuber will see all four - instead of just the latest video.
- Quick access to the inbox when YouTubers have new messages or comments.
- It knows what you have seen (videos you've watched are greyed out).
- Remove any video (hover and click the "x" button).
And the YouTube Team close with this statement: "Although some of you might miss some features, we think this latest version is a step in the right direction. It's simpler, more personal, and it makes it easier to follow and watch the videos that are meaningful to you. So today we're rolling out this new homepage for all logged in users worldwide."
What's New for 2015?
You spoke, we listened! ClickZ Live New York (Mar 30-Apr 1) is back with a brand new streamlined agenda. Don't miss the latest digital marketing tips, tricks and tools that will make you re-think your strategy and revolutionize your marketing campaigns. Super Saver Rates are available now. Register today!