Here's a recap of this week's columns and news stories for the week of Jan. 30 to Feb. 5, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
Search Engine Optimization
- Betting on the 2011 Search Bowl: Where Would I Focus to Drive Up Your Score? - Covario Actionable Insights
- Modern SEO KPIs For the Evolving Practitioner - aimClear
- Content Farms Vs... - SEO Book.com
- 10 reasons you're not an 'advanced' SEO - Conversation Marketing
- 6 Search Operators I'd Be Lost Without - Outspoken Media
- Is SEO Immoral? - SEOmoz
- SEO editing vs. copywriting for SEO: know the difference - SEO Copywriting
- Design your SEO Strategy with Google Analytics - Daily SEO Tip
- Google's Content Farm Algorithm Harm You? Categorize Your Site To Fix It. - Search Engine Roundtable
- Update to Webmaster Tools Search Queries - Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Is Google able to crawl protocols other than http and https? - YouTube
- Is comma a separator in a title tag? - YouTube
- Is the time left before your domain registration expires an SEO factor? - YouTube
- Go Daddy Makes The Web Faster by enabling mod_pagespeed - Google Code Blog
- Detailed traffic stats feature now available - Bing Webmaster Center Blog
- Document Level Classifiers and Google Spam Identification - SEO by the Sea
Radical LinkedIn B2B #PPC: Targeting Competitor's Employees by Marty Weintraub
A step-by-step LinkedIn PPC targeting tutorial to finger competitors' employees in a tight grid of job titles, geographic location, and places of employment.
Will a New Tier of Search Advertising Providers Emerge? by Kaley Dobson
Google and Microsoft will dominate paid search in 2011, but we'll see a new category of search providers differentiate themselves from the rest of the ad networks and become trusted partners for those marketers looking to expand their reach.
The Challenge of Parenting Single-Keyword Ad Groups by Thi Thumasathit
Managing hundreds or thousands of single-keyword ad groups is a big challenge for SEMs. Here's how advertisers can provide "only-child"-style attention to all of their keywords, customized, highly relevant ad copy, and landing pages scaled across their entire product portfolio.
Are You Losing Money to Microsoft adCenter's Syndicated Search Partners? by John Lee
As Microsoft adCenter continues to gain in importance thanks to the Search Alliance, it also becomes more important to manage adCenter to its full potential. Here are some ways to improve your ROI.
Google Adds Location Markers To Adwords, Blue Marks The Spot by Frank Watson
Google launched blue location markers in to Adwords ads and tie them to the same colored marker on the adjoining map to make your listing stand out amongst the other businesses.
Advertisers Benefit More From Top Ad Spots on Google Than Bing [Study] by Danny Goodwin
People who use Google spend more time looking at the top three paid ads above the organic results than Bing users, according to the results of a new eye-tracking study from research firm User Centric.
- Google's Session-Based Broad Match Clicks: Boon or Bane? - ClickZ
- Conducting Effective PPC Review Meetings with an Out-of-House Consultant - Certified Knowledge
- Finding Success on the Google Content Network - PPC Hero
- Your PPC is Rubbish! - Vertical Leap Blog
- Tips and Tricks for Paid Search Execution - ClickZ
- AdSense Facts & Fictions Part VI: User-Generated Content - Inside AdSense
Analytics & ROI
Top 6 Skills of a Great Web Analyst by Garry Przyklenk
Having trouble finding skilled analysts? Take a chance on an individual who may not be perfect for the role but can be mentored and who shows some of these key attributes.
Anchor Your Landing Pages and Convert Wayward Clickers by Stephen Cobb
Your chances of converting the traffic you drive to your site will increase if you can keep visitors focused on your conversion message. A landing page anchor is designed to do just that.
- 5 Analytics Reports That Add Real Insight into Website Performance - SEO Gadget
- SEO + SEM + SMO = ROI - ClickZ
- What Would More Conversions Do For Your Bottom Line? - ClickZ
Social Media Marketing
Advancing Strategy for Social Marketing by Jason Cormier
How to realize higher fan growth and engagement on Facebook with game mechanics. Plus: strategic modeling for social strategies using the Four Cs: content, context, campaigns, and community.
5 Ways Twitter Can Be Leveraged for B2B Search Engine Marketing by Derek Edmond
Engagement is a critical ingredient for seeing measurable results from Twitter on SEM initiatives. Ongoing dialogue is what makes Twitter valuable in B2B organizations.
Quora Review: Too Confusing To Survive? by Frank Watson
The question-and-answer space seems to be gathering some momentum despite Google's recent address about "content farms" and the latest popular Q&A site within the search industry is Quora.
Year Of Rabbit Proving Big Real Time Search Ad Play by Frank Watson
Amid the warm wishes for the Chinese New Year, there are a lot of advertising plugs. Seems Google may need to add spam filters if their real time search results are not to become inundated with irrelevant information.
- Facebook Comments on Congressional Privacy Inquiry - ClickZ
- Facebook's Revenue Per Search to Decline in Coming Years - NASDAQ.com
- Facebook Ads Get Half the Clicks of Network Banners - ClickZ
- Want This Facebook Offer? Better 'Like' Us First - ClickZ
- Top 5 Things Not to Do on Facebook - HubSpot Blog
- Reddit hits 1 billion page views per month - The Next Web
- Digg Gets an Overhaul to Draw Users Back - Mashable
- Flickr user gets back account after its accidental deletion - The Next Web
- Social CRM Helps Airlines Weather Winter Storms - ClickZ
- Social Media - Why an SEO background is better than PR! - SEOptimise
- Study Shows Social Media Impact Lags Search and Email - Marketing Pilgrim
- Integrating Offline Marketing With Social Media - ClickZ
- At Flickr, Fending Off Rumors and Facebook - The New York Times
Fixing the Web's Lost Content: An 8 Step Guide for Link Builders by Jeremy Bencken
This strategy takes an extreme approach to designing an entire campaign around creating content curators want to link to -- it's a safe bet they want to fix their dead links. Here's how to do it.
- How to Compose a Compelling Linkbait Title - BlueGlass
- Easy Link Building with Your Competitors' 404 Errors - Ontolo
- Building Your Own Scraper for Link Analysis - Distilled
- Corporate SEO - Link Building by Letter - SEOmoz
- Finding Internal Links Pointing to your Target URL - Shimon Sandler
- How Many Links Should an Infographic Get? - Distilled
- Purchased Link Penalties: There's No Time to Waste - Bruce Clay
- Battening Down the Hatches for a Link Bait Brainstorm - Search Engine Journal
- Five ways to get links from fan sites - SEOmoz
Local & Mobile Search
Google Brings Instant Previews to iPhone, iPad by Danny Goodwin
Google's Instant Previews are beginning to show up in Safari for Apple devices including the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, 9 to 5 Mac reports. Google has yet to make an official announcement.
Android Becomes Best-Selling Smartphone, Serious iPad Challenger by Danny Goodwin
Google's Android is now the top smartphone platform in the world. Meanwhile, Android has seriously cut into Apple's domination of the tablet computer market.
Google Has Check-ins Using Latitude by Thom Craver
In a move that seemed inevitable, Google Latitude announced the ability to check-in to places.
Android + Classic PlayStation Games? Sweet! by Danny Goodwin
Sony has announced plans to bring classic PlayStation 1 games to Android phones and tablets before the end of 2011. Users will be able to download the classic games via a new PlayStation Store, which is part of Sony's PlayStation Suite mobile gaming platform.
- Google Places Hotel Booking Feature To Be Available to All .... Someday - Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- 5 Ways To Rank Better TODAY In The Localized SERPs - SEO.com
- Google Hotpot now on Google.com and around the world - Official Google Blog
- How Mobile Friendly is Your Website - Michael Gray
- Android, BlackBerry & iOS Tied for U.S. Market Share [STATS] - Mashable
- Introducing the Android Market website - Google Mobile Blog
- Announcing Google Shopper for iPhone - Google Mobile Blog
- Driving results on mobile with AdMob - Google Mobile Ads Blogs
- Attention BlackBerry Users: Bing for Mobile Updates Arrive Today! - Bing for Mobile Blog
- Media Brands Embrace Gamification Trend - ClickZ
SMB Search Marketing
- 10 Ways To Compete Against A Dominant Brand - Big Marketing for Small Business
- Web Video Accounts for Nearly 7% of Small Business Website Landing Page Behavior - ReelSEO
- Tips and tricks for Financial Services advertisers - Google Small Business Blog
10 Things Enterprise SEO Management Tools Must Do by Ray "Catfish" Comstock
Looking for an SEO tool to drive results for your biggest clients? This superior enterprise-level SEO management tool has 10 features you need.
SEM Agency Issues
Google Plans To Audit Adwords Resellers, Agencies by Frank Watson
If you act as a Google reseller or manage customers' Adwords accounts, Google will be starting audits and checking if you are sending out - at a minimum - monthly reports with spend, click and impression information, the Adwords blog reported. The audits will begin April 1st.
Localizing Your Website: How to Simplify a Huge Project by Christian Arno
Reduce the mammoth task of localizing every page on your site by using these simple strategies.
UK PPC: Is Microsoft Distracted in Paid Search? by Duncan Parry
Where are the new initiatives, the new ideas from engineers that will differentiate the adCenter platform from AdWords, raise the revenue per search Microsoft receives, and grow loyalty with advertisers?
Paper Industry Ablaze In Australia Over Google Ad Decisions by Frank Watson
A civil liberties group in Australia is criticizing Google's decision to pull ads by the Wilderness Society that brought attention to "a boycott against a paper manufacturer that uses wood sourced from Australian old growth forests."
AdWords Region And City Drilldown Added To 17 More Countries by Frank Watson
Being able to select specific cities to run your Adwords advertising has always been handy, but in many countries this has not been possible. Bur now there are "17 additional countries to help you reach more customers in local markets with your AdWords campaigns,: the Adwords blog reported.
Chinese New Year 2011: Google's Year of the Rabbit Doodle by Danny Goodwin
Today is the Chinese New Year. In celebration, Google Hong Kong posted a new Doodle to usher in the Year of the Rabbit.
- 200GB to 25GB: Canada gets first, bitter dose of metered Internet - Ars Technica
- Liberals trump Tories on Twitter and Facebook, but Harper rules Google roost - The Globe and Mail
- Google London's New Office Is a Happy Kiddie Funhouse - Co.Design
- UK Valentine's Day Trends: Think Outside the Candy Box - adCenter Blog
- Facebook Launches Mobile Check-In Deals in Europe - ClickZ
- China's Baidu plans to diversify by going social - The Next Web
- Baidu quarterly net profit nearly triples - AFP
- Mobile Search 101: Ins and Outs of Mobile Search - ClickZ.asia
- Google Pledges $5 Million to Upgrade Indian Schools - The Wall Street Journal
The Search Industry
Hiybbprqagate: Google, Bing, and the Burning Building by Danny Goodwin
Cheating. Copying. Stealing. These three words have been repeated ad nauseum over the past few days, and it's not just because blogs and mainstream media websites have bothered to check their thesaurus for an original verb that adequately describes the ongoing flame wars between Google and Bing this week.
Bing Copying Google: And I Care Why? by Frank Watson
Okay so Google set a trap to verify Bing was copying some of their results. They then presented the story to Danny Sullivan to get it out to the search industry and other news sources this morning just before ThinkBig's Farsight 2011: Beyond the Search Box, an event sponsored by Bing. Representatives from both Google and Bing met on a panel during the event and accusations flew.
Google's Groundhog Day: Is The Search Giant Scared Of Its Own Shadow? by Jonathan Allen
Google's Bing-sting to "prove" that they were copying search results is noteworthy for how elaborate the operation was to catch the hand in the cookie jar. What does Google have to fear from Bing? Here are some reasons that Google might be feeling vulnerable right now.
Google, Bing and Facebook: The Tale Of Clickstreams by Frank Watson
With the hullabaloo over Bing copying Google search results that occurred yesterday, I started to think what may have motivated the announcement and its timing. Obviously, maximum impact was one, but beyond that why would Google take it to the court of public opinion before using other methods.
Startup America: Google, Facebook Among Companies to Lead White House Entrepreneurship Initiative by Thom Craver
Less than a week after announcing a commitment to entrepreneurship during the State of the Union address, the Obama administration announced Startup America, a national campaign to help create jobs and industries of the future. Yesterday morning, President Obama stood with several economic advisors and a number of America's top business leaders to announce the program.
Homeland Security Wants Internet Kill Switch by Frank Watson
Sen. Susan Collins, the Republican ranking member on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, told Wired magazine that there was a need for "kill switch" legislation that "would provide a mechanism for the government to work with the private sector in the event of a true cyber emergency."
Profits Up, Revenue Down At AOL by Frank Watson
CEO Tim Armstrong announced that AOL's profits for 2010 were up, despite an overall drop in revenue.
- New Recipe Search Engine Brings Food to Facebook - Mashable
- FBI Set to Unwrap Advanced Security Search Engine - PCWorld
- Answers.com Agrees to be Acquired for $127 Million in Cash: $10.50 per Share - no.stupid.answers
- Now This Is a Content Mill: Narrative Science Raises $6 Million for Human-Free Stories - All Things Digital
- LEAKED: AOL's Master Plan - Silicon Alley Insider
- Seeking Better Search Results, eBay Finds Experts at Bing and Facebook - All Things Digital
Google's Social Acquisitions - SayNow is the Latest Conquest by Thom Craver
Last week, Google announced two more acquisitions of companies into their collective. SayNow, a voice/telephone service was announced first. The very next day, YouTube, one of Google's many properties, announced the acquisition of fflick, a 6-month-old startup that used sentiment analysis to recommend movies to people. Both of these companies are social services.
Google: Only 2% Opt-Out of Instant by Danny Goodwin
Only about 2 percent of users have opted out of using Google Instant, according to Ben Gomes, Instant lead engineer. Launched in September, Google Instant tries to predict what you're looking for and shows you results as you type.
Google Employee Goes Missing In Egypt by Frank Watson
Google's head of marketing for the Middle East and North Africa Wael Ghonim has gone missing in Egypt. Ghonim, a supporter of the Egyptian opposition, has been missing since Friday.
Google Creates Work Around For Blocked Egyptian Tweeters by Frank Watson
As protests continue and the Egyptian government blocks access to the internet, Google created a workaround over the weekend so people can access Twitter via phone calls and leave updates.
Google Gathering Egyptian Protest Videos At CitizenTube by Frank Watson
YouTube has been flooded with videos from the Egyptian protests and is now collecting them at CitizenTube - Google's news and politics channel, the YouTube blog reported. "We understand how closely the world is following these events, and want to help people access and share this information quickly and easily on YouTube."
Visit Museums Of The World From Home With Google's Art Project by Frank Watson
Google has launched Art Project, an online walk through the world's greatest museums, using the technology they employ for "Street View."
75,000 People Really Want to Work at Google by Danny Goodwin
Just a little over a week after announcing plans to hire more than 6,000 and make 2011 the largest hiring year in Google's history, the company has received more than 75,000 job applications worldwide.
Google Luring College Recruits With Swag And Pizza by Frank Watson
Google is holding a recruiting drive at Carniege Mellon University and it seems just the idea of a chance to work at Google is no longer enough to fill a college hall with potential interns and aspiring employees.
Is Google Next Area Of Growth Germ Warfare? by Frank Watson
Google may be finding it hard to keep its exponential growth going, but is getting in to bacteria culture growth may be pushing in the wrong direction.
- Pre-Super Bowl Google Searches: Chicken, TVs and Man Caves - Mashable
- YouTube uses Amazon's recommendation algorithm - Geeking with Greg
- Want Your Images To Show In Google News? Place Them Near Your Stories. - Search Engine Roundtable
- Payback: Upset Ex-Girlfriend Spams Boyfriend In Google Images - Search Engine Roundtable
- Suit over Google tax breaks rejected by North Carolina Supreme Court - Associated Press
- Wael Ghonim, Google's still-missing exec in Egypt, named spokesman for opposition group - Los Angeles Times
- Google Tried To Buy Path For $100+ Million. Path Said No. - TechCrunch
- Microsoft Fires Back At Google Over Web-Video Formats -paidContent
- Google Gambles $20K that Chrome Can't be Cracked - PCWorld
- Chrome, Safari Reach Record Browser Share Highs - PCWorld
- You Can Now Buy Up to 16 Terabytes of Storage from Google - ReadWriteWeb
- A refresh to the Documents List - Google Docs Blog
- Hate the new Google Docs? Here's how to get the old layout back. - The Next Web
- IPv6 marks the next chapter in the history of the Internet - Official Google Blog
- Two improvements to contact groups - Gmail Blog
- Tech for good - catching up on Google.org - Official Google Blog
Bing Gets Served on The Colbert Report [Video] by Danny Goodwin
Google's accusation that Bing copied Google's search results has gotten mainstream media attention from the BBC to the Wall Street Journal. Last night, the search wars received the Colbert bump.
- Bing.com/siteowner being shut down on April 4th, 2011 - Bing Developer Blog
- World IPv6 Day: Bing taking decisions to the next generation of the Internet - Bing Search Blog
- Bing Trends: Top football search trends -Bing Community
- Bing Trends: Top search trends for The Grammy's - Bing Search Blog
- Weekly Yahoo! Search Trends - February 4, 2011 - Yodel Anecdotal
- An Update for Yahoo! Mail Windows Phone Users - Yahoo Mail Blog
Blekko Removes Content Farms From Search Results by Danny Goodwin
In an effort to combat web spam, Blekko will block from its search results 20 of the worst-offending SERP clogging content farms, including Demand Media's eHow and Answerbag.
- CEO Mocks Google For Trying To Poach His "Guys," Posts Recruiter's Email - Silicon Alley Insider
YouTube Homepage Layout Protest Shows Less Civility Than Egyptian Protests by Greg Jarboe
On Jan. 20, 2011, YouTube changed its homepage layout. On Jan. 28, Liz of the YouTube Team said in the Help Forum, "We've been listening over the past week, and it's clear that some of you don't like the new homepage."
- SEO 101: How to Optimize On-Site Videos - Search Engine People
- Who Owns Your YouTube Video? You, YouTube, Or Someone Else Entirely? - ReelSEO
- Free Music Can Pay as Well as Paid Music, YouTube Says - Wired
- How YouTube Used Obama Chat to Build Brand - ClickZ
- 3 Basic Legal Tips for Any Business Doing Online Video - ReelSEO
- YouTube's Fans Don't Like New Home Page, Change May Come Soon - Search Engine Roundtable
SES Conference & Expo
Wassup #SESLondon? 1 Cowboy CEO, 1 Ship Parrrty, 10 Solo Sessions & 50 Jaamit Tributes by Jonathan Allen
With only three weeks to go until SES London, you might be asking yourself what you can expect to get out of the conference and what is going to make it different this year when compared to every other year? Well, as Alan Sugar (the UK equivalent of Donald Trump, and also host of The Apprentice) often says, 'let me tell you'.
Mobile Marketing Session at SES New York and Mini MBA Program at Rutgers by Greg Jarboe
According to a new survey from the Association of National Advertisers and the Mobile Marketing Association, 88 percent of marketers at large retailers and consumer brand manufacturers say they will use mobile marketing this year. What's more, 75 percent of those already marketing to mobile consumers plan to increase their spending by an average of 59 percent compared with 2010.
Who Is Duncan Watts and Why Is Everything Obvious ... Once You Know the Answer? by Greg Jarboe
The keynote speaker at SES New York 2011 is Duncan Watts, a principal research scientist at Yahoo! Research, where he directs the Human Social Dynamics group. He's also the author of the forthcoming book, Everything Is Obvious: *Once You Know the Answer.
- Save 20% on SES New York! - Marketing Pilgrim
- SES pre-show speaker interviews: Gillian Muessig - State of Search
- SES pre-show speaker interviews: Simon Heseltine - State of Search
Search Week in Review 2011 Archives
Get the latest search marketing news delivered to your inbox.
This Year's Premier Digital Marketing Event is #CZLSF
ClickZ Live San Francisco (Aug 11-14) will bring together the industry's leading online marketing practitioners to deliver 4 days of educational sessions and training workshops. From Data-Driven Marketing to Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email, the comprehensive agenda will help you maximize your marketing efforts and ROI. Register today!