Here's a recap of this week's columns and news stories for the week of Feb. 20 to 26, as reported by Search Engine Watch, as well as search news and tips from around the web.
14 Tips for Making the Most of Feeds by Andrew Girdwood
Seven tips for using feeds from other sites to ensure you're among the first writing about a topic, and seven tips for using your own site's feeds to grow and keep your audience.
Search Engine Optimization
Google Goes Boom on Low-Quality Sites...So They Say by Brent Rangen
Chances are good that you or someone you know has seen some ranking changes today as Google rolled out a new algorithmic update.
Overstock.com Lands in Google's Penalty Box Over Links-for-Discounts Deal by Danny Goodwin
Overstock.com was enjoying some great rankings earlier this year. Unfortunately for Overstock, Webmaster World began examining why they were seeing such great rankings for numerous common terms, a review which led to yet another mainstream news organization "outing" a major retailer for linking practices.
Google Changing Titles in Search Results, SEOs Not Happy by Danny Goodwin
Google is altering the appearance of a site's title as it appears in the SERPs. And SEOs are getting frustrated.
Majestic SEO Unveils Site Explorer by Brent Rangen
Majestic SEO has released its new Site Explorer tool.
- Test, Test, Test - SEO Book.com
- 30 Ways to Optimise Your Site for Speed - SEOptimise
- Thou shalt not Duplicate Content: 3 Easy Tips Avoid It - Search Engine People
- Do Your Very Own Site Structure Audit - Distilled
- Let's Talk about Keyword Density - Michael Gray
- 404 Page Error Handling - Shimon Sandler
- I'm Ranking, So Where's My Traffic?! - SEOmoz
- Does Google still recommend 100 links or fewer per page? - GoogleWebmasterHelp YouTube Channel
- How a Search Engine Might Identify the Functions of Blocks in Web Pages to Improve Search Results - SEO by the Sea
- Headsmacking Tip #17: Use Your Bio as an SEO Advantage - SEOmoz
- Google Spamming the SERPS, Again. - Explicitly Me
- Should You Host Images On Your Domain or Flickr For Best Traffic Potential? - Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO Strategies for Google News - Distilled
- Site Speed - Are You Fast? Does it Matter? - SEOmoz
- 5 Free Tools for Competitor Keyword Research - Search Engine Journal
- The Importance of SEO Education Within a Company - Search Engine People
- How Google Might Offer Face Search by Using Pictures from Social Networks - SEO by the Sea
- Forrester Research Publishes 1st Report On Enterprise SEO Automation Tools - Search Engine Land
AdWords Campaign Experiments: Details and Pitfalls by Melissa Mackey
Campaign Experiments is a great enhancement that can really take your PPC campaigns to the next level, but it also poses many challenges and can be quite confusing.
Optimize for Conversions With New AdWords Feature by Danny Goodwin
A new ad rotation setting in AdWords lets you choose to show ads you expect to provide the highest conversion rate, rather than receive the highest click-through rate.
- Paid Search Success Metrics by Length of Keyword - Rimm-Kaufman Group
- Google vs. Bing: Targeting Features Part 2 - PPC Hero
- Waiting too long for Image Ad Approval on AdWords? - Certified Knowledge
- PPC Pain Points - PPC Blog
- Agencies Nearly Triple Spending on Google's DSP - ClickZ
- Understanding your eCPM (effective cost per thousand impressions): Part 2 of 2 - Inside AdSense
- Two new optimizations guides: One Click Optimizer and Optimization Lab - Inside AdSense
Analytics & ROI
Google Analytics Adds SDK for iOS by Thom Craver
The Google Analytics blog has announced the availability of the Google Analytics SDK for iOS devices. The iOS SDK joins the Android SDK announced last year.
- 10 Steps to Optimizing Copy and Content - ClickZ
- The Power of Dashboards in Google Analytics - BlueGlass
- Looking at Revenue Across Adwords & Analytics - PPC Hero
- Mobile Analytics: Tracking Click-to-Call Mobile Ad Campaigns - Avinash Kaushik
- Mastering Unique Visitors in the API - Google Analytics
Social Media Marketing
The Social Media ROI Conundrum by Nathan Linnell
Don't be shortsighted -- look at these four essential components to see how social media can impact the long-term health of your brand. This is where you'll find the true value of social media.
Social Networks and Health: Bad Medicine? by Dean Stephens
Social networks can be invaluable for helping consumers with health care decisions, as well as brand awareness for health practitioners, organizations, and treatments -- as long as it's done right.
External, Hybrid, and Internal Communities: Why You Should Care by Jacob Morgan
Exploring three social communities and some typical business problems that effective engagement can solve.
- 6 Things NOT to Do On Facebook As a Brand - Outspoken Media
- Facebook Valuation Back At A Cool $70 Billion On SecondMarket - TechCrunch
- Eminem overtakes Lady Gaga as most-liked on Facebook - Reuters
- UFC Fans 'Like' Live Fights on Facebook - ClickZ
- How TheFacebook Used To Woo Advertisers Back In The Early Days - TechCrunch
- Facebook Cracks comScore's Top 10 For 'AdFocus' - ClickZ
- Facebook's Getting Personnel, Poaches Google Again - ClickZ
- 7 Awesome Facebook Search Engines - All Facebook
- To Celebrate The #Jan25 Revolution, Egyptian Names His Firstborn "Facebook" - TechCrunch
- Hotmail One-Ups Gmail, Takes Facebook Chat Global - ReadWriteWeb
- Facebook Reaches Majority of US Web Users; Less Than 20 Million US Adults Used Twitter At Least Monthly in 2010 - eMarketer
- Discover the new LinkedIn Company Search - LinkedIn Blog
- Myspace Music President Courtney Holt Leaving - All Things Digital
- How to Integrate Customer Service Into Social Media Marketing - ClickZ
- 10 Research Tools for Social Media Strategies - ClickZ
- Opportunity Clicks: Social Media and Converting Clicks into Action - Brian Solis
- How To Create A Link Building Budget - Search Engine People
- Link Building Via Misspelled - Explicitly Me
- 4 Kinds of Prospecting Phrases for Link Building Queries - Ontolo
- 10 Years of Link Building Advice - Wiep.net
- Why Internal Links are More Important than Backlinks - SEO Design Solutions
Local & Mobile Search
Google Defines Mobile Sites & Offers Advice on Being Mobile Friendly by Brent Rangen
With the explosion of mobile users and projected growth showing staggering numbers, it's a great time for Google to clear the air on mobile sites.
Google Drops Facebook Contact Merging From Latest Android Version by Thom Craver
Android smartphone owners have been waiting for the Gingerbread, the latest operating system upgrade. Android 2.3 is deploying now but it won't have is the ability to load contact information for Facebook friends.
- Google Bug Prevents Some Businesses From Verifying Businesses On Google Maps - Search Engine Roundtable
- Embracing the Local Movement - ClickZ
- Android Market Now Offers E-Books, Next Could be Music And Movies - SlashGear
- Android activations visualized from October '08 to January '11 - Android Central
- Apple Halves Minimum iAd Spend to Speed Advertiser Uptake - ClickZ
- Google Nexus One, Nexus S Get Gingerbread Bump - Google Watch
- Facebook Grows Mobile Footprint, But Still No Ads - ClickZ
- Yahoo Brings #1 Finance site to the iPad! - Yodel Anecdotal
SMB Search Marketing
- Tips and tricks for Travel advertisers - Google Small Business Blog
Big Brands and Bad Linking: How to Avoid Google Penalties by Josh McCoy
The recent hype involving JCPenney's linking scheme penalty may have many wondering if their SEO firm is playing by the rules. Learn how you can avoid punishment from Google.
SEM Agency Issues
Freelancers Will Take Over, Agencies are History by Mathieu Burgerhout
Freelancers are a growing trend in the online marketing world -- even big clients are going for the more personal approach. Drawn from three perspectives, here's why freelancers rule.
Google Antitrust Deal in Works? Schmidt Meets With Key EU Regulator by Danny Goodwin
Outgoing CEO Eric Schmidt met with Joaquin Almunia, vice president of the European Commission, during the World Economic Forum in Switzerland to discuss the ongoing EU antitrust investigation.
German Town Tells Google Maps: Give Us Back Our Harbor by Danny Goodwin
Google Maps has angered officials and residents of Emden, Germany, by placing their port in the Netherlands.
Mihaly Munkacsy Google Hungary Doodle by Danny Goodwin
In honor of Hungarian realist painter Munkácsy Mihály's 167th birthday, Google Hungary has posted a Doodle.
Google Doodle Celebrates World Ski Championships by Thom Craver
Visitors to Google Norway today saw a new Google Doodle that celebrates the start of the 2011 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships.
Russian Search Engine Yandex Plans $1 Billion IPO by Danny Goodwin
Yandex, Russia's top search engine and contextual advertising company, plans to raise $1 billion with an initial public offering (IPO) on NASDAQ in either June or July of this year.
Google Map Tracks Protests in Libya by Thom Craver
An activist and active Twitterer from Iran has created a Google map of the violence and protests and shared it publicly to chronicle the protest reports on the ground as they happen.
Baidu Executives Fly to U.S. For Meeting With Facebook by Thom Craver
Last week, executives from the Chinese search engine Baidu flew to the United States to meet with Facebook in their Silicon Valley offices.
Government Controlled Search Engine Panguso Launches in China by Danny Goodwin
Panguso, a new search engine from state-owned Xinhua News Agency and China Mobile, has launched in China.
- Google Belgian Copyright Case Could Set Europe Policy - Bloomberg
- Investing in news innovation in Europe - European Public Policy Blog
- Germany's Focus On Google One Pass: 'It's Just A Small Test' - paidContent
- Internet tool shows French web surfers 'Jewish-curious' - AFP
- Swiss Court to Issue Ruling on Google Street View - PCWorld
- Some in Israel warn against Google Street View - Los Angeles Times
- Google Recording 50% Annual Growth in African Search Requests - Bloomberg
- 5 great user-created maps chronicling Egypt - Google LatLong
- China's Hudong seeks anti-monopoly probe against Baidu - International Business Times
- Ooyala And Yahoo Collaborate On Capturing Japan's Online Video Market - paidContent
- Content, the No. 1 Overlooked Area in SEO - ClickZ.asia
- Social Media Is Free, Social Media Marketing Is Not - ClickZ.asia
- The True Face of SEO - ClickZ.asia
- Three Tips to Improve Your Quality Score - ClickZ.asia
- Google Launches Person Finder for Christchurch -
- Wall Street Journal
The Search Industry
World's First Hotel Room Search Engine Launched by Brent Rangen
We have seen recipe, real estate, books, prices, and job specific search engines, but never one specifically for hotel rooms. Yesterday, Room 77 unveiled a search engine that does just that.
Google Adds Recipe Filter For Foodies: Calories, Ingredients, Cooking Time Filters by Frank Watson
Finding a recipe in Google is not that hard -- you mention an ingredient and they will start suggesting -- but with the new Recipe View Google rolled out today you can filter those results by time to cook the meal, what ingredients to include or by how many calories it has.
Doodle 4 Google Contest a Tool to Collect Kids Social Security Numbers? by Danny Goodwin
Why would Google need the date of birth, city of birth, and last four digits of children's social security numbers for what is supposed to be an innocent art project? Was it to try to get parents to unknowingly hand over the full social security numbers of their own children, while providing Google with invaluable marketing data?
Google Legal Briefs: Rosetta Stone, Jurin, Oracle, VoIP by Danny Goodwin
Here's a quick recap of recent developments in four of Google's legal battles.
Google Simplifying Chrome UI, Hiding URL Bar by Thom Craver
Google chrome is getting a new look. Four new designs are being considered for the browser, including removing the address bar from the product.
Google Calendar: Missing Data Fiasco Finally Resolved by Brent Rangen
Imagine logging into your calendar to check your agenda for the day. When you login you see absolutely nothing -- no events, no calendar entries, or notes. That's exactly what happened to numerous Google Calendar users today.
Google Enhancing Oscar Night Viewing With 3D Venues, Flying Red Carpets by Frank Watson
Google is making use of its virtual tour abilities in Maps to provide Oscar fans with a walk through of the Kodak Theatre where the event is held and 3D models of "the Red Carpet, Hollywood and Highland Center, and the Kodak Theatre."
- DOJ threatens to nix Google merger - Politico
- House to Hear Why Google Collected Kids' Social Sec. Numbers - PCMag
- Why Google Is Slamming A Little-Known Search Engine Called IsoHunt - paidContent
- Google drops reverse phone number lookup - Google Blogoscoped
- Google Brings LIFE Image Archive Back To Life - Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Books Posts Spy Magazine - PCWorld
- Google Hires Twitter-Hacking PARC Scientist - ReadWriteWeb
- Yet Another Person Sues Google Because They Don't Like Pornographic Results When People Search On Their Name - Techdirt
- Google Video's Strange Disclaimer - Google Operating System
- The Google stereo system: A neat idea but really ugly - The Next Web
- Dad, Stop Spamming Google - It's Embarrassing! - Search Engine Roundtable
- Samsung Said to Be Considering Google TV Products, Excluding Intel Chips - Bloomberg
- The freedom to be who you want to be... - Google Public Policy Blog
- Dealing with label overload - Gmail Blog
- Teach your old docs new tricks with Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office - Google Enterprise Blog
- Join us on the bridge for International Women's Day 2011 - Official Google Blog
- Amping Up Chrome's Background Feature - Chromium Blog
- Amazon Prime Members Get Instant Video Streaming - Google TV Blog
- The Data Viz Challenge: can you make tax data exciting? - Official Google Blog
Bing Adds Tiles to Search Results by Danny Goodwin
Bing is rolling out a new "tiles" feature in its SERPs. Bing Director Stefan Weitz revealed the arrival of the new "visual indicator" in an interview.
Bing Extends Facebook Likes to All U.S. Search Results by Danny Goodwin
If you live in the U.S. and have connected Bing to your Facebook account, you should now see integrated Facebook Likes whenever you conduct a search on Bing.
- Bing Feature Update: Check the cheapest airfares in a blink with Bing Travel's new Autosuggest Flight Prices - Bing Search Blog
- Hail to the Chief: Celebrate the US Presidents with Bing Visual Search Gallery - Bing Search Blog
Yahoo Officially Ends MyBlogLog by Thom Craver
After announcing what they called the sunset of various properties, Yahoo today announced the end date of MyBlogLog is May 24, 2011 and recommended users move to Yahoo Pulse.
- Yahoo Scientists Explore the "Three Dimensions of Search" - Yahoo Search Blog
- Weekly Yahoo! Search Trends - February 24, 2011 - Yodel Anecdotal
- Live World Cup Cricket Action from Y! Search - Yahoo Search Blog
- What happens after Yahoo acquires you - 37signals
- Yahoo Engineer Complains About Lack Of Innovation At Yahoo - TechCrunch
- Final Jeopardy Goes To... Hadoop - Yodel Anecdotal
Market Researchers and Online Video: Blind Men and the Elephant by Greg Jarboe
Recently, The Nielsen Company reported that 143.9 million unique viewers in the U.S. had streamed online video in January 2011. A few days later, comScore Video Metrix reported that 171.2 million unique viewers in the U.S. had watched online video content that month.
YouTube Negotiating to Stream Live NBA, NHL Games by Thom Craver
Is Google is in talks with the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League to broadcast live games?
35% of Viewers Watch Skippable YouTube TrueView Ads [Report] by Danny Goodwin
Some early results are in on YouTube TrueView video ads, the cost-per-view skippable ad model launched back in December.
- HTTPS YouTube - Google Operating System
- 93 Million views and counting for Super Bowl Ads on YouTube's Ad Blitz - AdWords Agency Blog
- Ad Blitz winner revealed - YouTube Blog
- Are YouTube Performers Being Unjustly Criminally Prosecuted? - ReelSEO
- YouTube Legal Issues: Evan Emory "Officially" Charged Today with Criminal Sexual Abuse - ReelSEO
- YouTube Legal Issues: The Criminal Case of Evan Emory Part 2 - ReelSEO
- You Accused? The YouTube Saga and Criminal Case of Evan Emory (Part 1) - ReelSEO
SES Conference & Expo
SES London 2011 - Day 1 Coverage #SESUK by Danny Goodwin
A roundup of Day 1 live blogging and coverage of SES London 2011.
SES London 2011 - Day 2 Coverage #SESUK by Danny Goodwin
A roundup of Day 2 live blogging and coverage of SES London 2011.
SES London 2011 - Day 3 Coverage #SESUK by Danny Goodwin
A roundup of Day 3 live blogging and coverage of SES London 2011.
SES New York To Feature 'Focus Latino' Track by Greg Jarboe
SES New York will feature a "Focus Latino" track on Wednesday, March 23, 2011. Programmed by LatinVision Media Inc., the track will specifically address the U.S. Hispanic and Latin American markets.
- Video Search Optimization Tips from Will Critchlow of Distilled at SES London 2011 - SESConferenceExpo YouTube Channel
- My SES presentation: Blogs and Feeds - Andrew RH Girdwood
- SES London 2011 - How to use Social Media for your Business? - adCenter Blog
- Inspired by Iceland & Microsoft - Social Media & the Marketing Mix - TopRank Online Marketing Blog
- London SES: Overview of Day 1 - SEOptimise
- SES London 2011 interview with Lee Odden (@leeodden) #sesuk - State of Search
- Live blogging schedule SES London 2011 State of Search - #sesuk - State of Search
- SES pre-show speaker interviews: Jon Myers (@jondmyers) - State of Search
- SES pre-show visitor and sponsor interview: Andy Betts - State of Search
- SES tributes Jaamit Durrani - State of Search
- State of Search radioshow - episode 46: SES London 2011 #sesuk - State of Search
Search Week in Review 2011 Archives
Get the latest search marketing news delivered to your inbox.
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.