We've collected all the search marketing news from selected posts to the Search Engine Watch blog in the past week, along with recent search-related headlines from around the Web.
From the SEW blog:
- Yahoo Search Gets Blended, Helpful
Yahoo unveiled significant changes to its search engine, inlcuding the introduction of pre-search query refinement tool Search Assist, and blended search results
- SEW Experts: Top 10 Reasons You Must Do SEO
Many have claimed "SEO is Dead." Here are the final five reasons why that just ain't so.
- Better Search: Libraries or Engines?
Search engines win by a landslide, at least according to current college students.
- Why Index Size is Important
Size does matter, at least when you're talking about a search engine's index size, up to a certain point.
- Microsoft Updates Top Ad Algorithm on Live Search
Along with the recent organic ranking improvements Microsoft has made to Live Search, it has also tweaked the algorithm it uses to rank ads.
- Has Change In Google PPC Algorithm Created New Budget Busting Possibilities?
The current cost jumps in cost per clicks at Google may have created a way of pushing a bunch of your less savvy competitors out of the mix.
- Yahoo Sponsored Listings Allowing Site Blocking
Yahoo announced it is broadening its Traffic Quality Features for its sponsored ads.
- Report: Online Ad Growth Slowing
During the first six months of 2007, online ad revenues grew by 26.4 percent over the same period last year to nearly $10 billion, a slower growth rate than the year before.
- Search Ads Fare Poorly in Trust Study
We're disappointed to learn that search ads fared poorly in Nielsen's survey of over 26,000 internet users worldwide.
- SEW Experts: Get Your Web Site in Good Working Order: Google Website Optimizer
GWO is the newest search engine acronym. What does it mean for you?
Linking Issues & Social Media
- SEW Experts: Link Value: Top Rankings, Secrets and Lies - Part 1
Consider these simple techniques and strategies to help determine the value of a link.
- Google Hits Snag in Monetizing Orkut
Google reportedly removed ads from its Orkut social networking service in August after facing complaints filed with a Brazilian advertising body.
- .EDU domains and links
Links from .edu domains are commonly thought to be higher quality links than links from other top level domains.
Analytics & ROI
- ComScore Launches Search Marketing Intelligence Service
Market research firm comScore has launched a search marketing-specific intelligence service, comScore Marketer.
Local & Mobile Search
- SEW Experts: Taking the Offline Business Online
Is your small business hiding offline? There are many ways to make it easier for you to be found in search engine results.
- Yahoo Expands Reach of OneSearch in Europe, Latin America
Yahoo has doubled the reach of its oneSearch mobile search application by partnering with mobile provider Telefonica to make oneSearch the main search service on Telefonicaâ””s mobile portals.
Vertical & Specialty Search
- SEW Experts: Is Optimization Key to Local Video Ads?
Internet Yellow Pages (IYP) providers have the customers and sales infrastructure to succeed at selling local video ads. But so far, they're overlooking the search optimization component.
- Krugle Announces Deal with IBM
IBM will incorporate Krugle search within IBM's developerWorks site.
- Future for Kelkoo with Yahoo Cloudy
As Yahoo continues to redefine its business, it may be considering divesting Kelkoo, the European shopping comparison engine purchased in 2004 for $575 million.
- iHeard.com: Web Radio Search Engine
A specialized search engine for finding internet radio stations has been launched by Fusa Consumer Search Network.
- Microsoft Acquires Shopping Search Site Jellyfish
Jellyfish acts like a reverse auction through which retailers are ranked according to the amount they agree to lower their prices.
Small Business/Big Brand SEM
- Microsoft Adds SEM Services to Office Live
Microsoft has added a search engine marketing offering to the suite of services available to its Microsoft Office Live Small Business subscribers.
- SEW Experts: Breaking Down Silos: Specialization With Integration
For any search marketer working with large enterprises or agencies, integration is the toughest job they face. It can make changing bids on thousands of keywords seem like child's play.
In-House & Outsourcing
- Study Shows Many Plan to Spend More on Search in 2008
A significant number of advertisers plan to increase both their search ad spend and SEO budgets next year, according to a MarketingSherpa report.
SEM Industry Issues
- SEMPO Running In-House Salary Survey
The online survey aims to shed some light on the compensation and common reporting structures of in-house search marketers.
- Blind Person Suing Target For No Alt Tags
What started as a student suing target.com this time last year, has now grown into a class action lawsuit.
- Discussion with Sep Kamvar About Gadgets
While Sep is well known for his work on personalization at Google, he also works on another area, that of Google gadgets.
More from the SEW Blog
- SEW Experts: Halo 3 as Meta4 Redux
A bug in Halo 3 has buyers hitting the Web to complain. Microsoft's SERPs are taking the hit.
- Yahoo Calls In Steve Jobs to Inspire VPs
Instead of the rumored mass firing expected to take place at last week's all-day meeting of top Yahoo execs in Sunnyvale, attendees were treated to real goals and concrete plans from company leadership, and a guest appearance from Apple CEO Steve Jobs.
We report the top search marketing news daily at the Search Engine Watch Blog. You'll find more news from around the Web below.
- Mastering Yahoo's Panama, ClickZ
- RIP, PPC, ClickZ
- Google raises temperature of health information market, Information World Review
- Breaking Up Is Too Hard for Yahoo to Do, NYT Bits
- Intel Launches Digg Clone For Software, TechCrunch
- A Way to Find Your Corner of the Internet Sky, NY Times
- Official: Selling Paid Links Can Hurt Your PageRank Or Rankings On Google, Search Engine Land
- Improving Your Conversion Rate is FAR More Important Than Driving More Traffic, PPC Think
- Social media frenzy may kill high quality content. Somebody fix this!, Joe Duck
- Google Determining Search Authority Pages and Propagating Authority to Related Pages, SEO by the Sea
- A Comprehensive Guide to Hidden Text & Search Engines, SEOmoz
- SEO has a bad reputation - So What?, Exposure Online
- Choosing Keywords for Local SEO, LocalPoint
- MSN Video Boosts Features; Sets Sight on Local, The Kelsey Group
- Some Interesting and Useful Yelp Features, Screenwerk
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.