There's been a variety of articles over the past few weeks on hiring SEM firms -- as well how SEM firms can deal with clients and why everyone need to talk to each other better. I've done a round-up for our Search Engine Watch members that you'll find here/below.
- More Ways Not to Work With an SEO/SEM Firm from Shari Thurow at ClickZ is a continuation of an earlier column designed to help those working with a firm to be realistic. An SEM firm can't necessarily guarantee that some of the traffic delivered will convert, especially since they don't control the client's web site and transaction processes. SEOs also cannot control how often someone is crawled for free. And other tips and advice.
- Professional SEO: Hand Off to Bob or Outsource the Job? from Search Engine Guide provides tips on deciding if you should outsource or do the work internally.
- The Continual Evolution of Search Engine Marketing also from Search Engine Guide looks at how the SEM industry has matured with new trade organization as well as five quick tips on what to look for in a firm.
- The Ones That Dont Come Back is another article from Search Engine Guide that looks from a SEM firm's perspective as to why every client is not going to be a fit.
- The SEM Scam Sales Pitch from ClickZ has PJ Fusco covering some warning signs to look for, when considering a firm.
- Certified Grade A Search from Kevin Ryan at iMedia Connection looks at certification programs for search marketing companies that do paid search that may help you know which ones to trust more, at least because the search engines are giving them certification.
- What Are Your Favorite SEM Client Lies? from our Search Engine Watch Forums looks from a search marketer's perspective on what clients tell them -- and what they find the reality often is.
- Can I get out of my SEO Contract? is a forum thread at SEO Chat where people offer advice on getting out of an agreement for services.
- I'm Stuck With A Bad Seo Company, what to do now? is another forum discussion where someone looks for advice on leaving their SEM firm, and Stuck with a Bad SEO Company; Here are Some Tips from Search Engine Roundtable gives you an overview of the discussion.
- How To Be A Crappy SEO Client has lots of advice on what clients may not say -- when they should -- to ensure their SEM firm can help them.
- Do You Have a Bad SEO Company, or Are You Just a Bad Client? from Search Engine Guide is a last take on the theme that good, honest communication is needed between client and SEM firm, if there's going to be success.
Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns with Search, Social and Analytics
At SES London (9-11 Feb) you'll get an overview of the latest tools, tips, and tactics in Paid, Owned, Earned, Integrated Media and Business Intelligence to streamline your marketing campaigns in 2015. Register by 31 October to take advantage of Early Bird Rates.