RealNames was an alternative web address system designed to make it easier to find web sites using real words. For instance, in the RealNames system, a phrase like "United Airlines" rather than "http://www.ual.com" would take you directly to the United Airlines web site. The system ceased operating on June 28, 2002. The article below explains the closure in more depth, and previous articles about the RealNames system are also listed.
RealNames To Close After Losing Microsoft
The Search Engine Report, June 3, 2002
RealNames Clones Causing Confusion
The Search Engine Update, Oct. 1, 2002
Since the article above was written, I've received a steady stream of emails
from people who are hearing from other companies that suggest they've|
taken over the role that RealNames used to have with Microsoft.
No one has, and the article below explains how confusion is developing.
- Searching & Navigating Via Internet Explorer, 6/02
- RealSearch with Internet Explorer, 7/01
- AltaVista Drops RealNames, Promotes GoTo Link, 4/01
- Goodbye Domain Names, Hello RealNames?, 5/00
- RealNames Temporarily Suspends Registration Of Generics, 1/00
- RealNames Slipping Generics Into Specifics, 12/99
- New Domain Names Plan Moves Forward, 8/00
- New MSN Search, AOL Search Available in Beta, 9/99
- RealNames Coming To MSN (in briefs), 7/99
- RealNames Spricht Deutsch, 6/99
- RealNames Expands Namespaces, 4/99
- Internet Explorer 5 Makes Search Easier, 4/99
- RealNames Ramps Up, 2/99
- RealNames Gets Backing From Network Solutions, 1/99
- RealNames Expands Listings, 9/98
- RealNames Raises Fees, 7/98
- Real Name Tops At AltaVista, 6/98
Introducing... ClickZ Live!
SES Conference & Expo has merged with ClickZ to bring you ClickZ Live! The new global conference series takes on the identity of the industry's premier digital marketing publication, ClickZ.com, and kicks off March 31-April 3 in New York City. Join the industry's leading tech-advertisers in the advertising capital of the world! Find out more ››
*Super Saver Rates expire Jan 24.